Announcement: TKC-80 off road tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Announcement: TKC-80 off road tires

Continental is now making the TKC-80 50/50 off road tires for the Versys for those who wish to take their Versys off road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
do these tires handle as the michelin pr series for example? I want to try something beefier, but really like the grip of sport touring tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
do these tires handle as the michelin pr series for example? I want to try something beefier, but really like the grip of sport touring tires.
The more aggressive the tread pattern, the larger the air gap between the tread blocks means less actual rubber is in contact with the pavement. This is good for grip on loose surfaces but bad on dry pavement. Even tires like the Pirelli Scorpion (95% pavement/5% dirt) which I've used sacrifice some pavement grip to get improved dirt grip compared to sport touring tires. The TKC is designed for 50% off road use and limited pavement use. There is always a trade off and no magic bullet with dirt grip vs pavement grip.

I've read they have a fairly short lifespan (on WebBikeWorld). Posted this thread as I was not aware they were avail in Versys sizes, possibly a great choice if you ride off pavement 50% of the time but a little too dirt oriented for my riding though.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-27-2015 at 03:31 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Confused Yet?
Yes.

I think you are saying there are lots of tire choices if you are primarily interested in street. But, if your interest takes you off road, tire choices are more limited. Finally, one tire isn't likely to do both roles really well. And, its possible that new tires to be introduced this year may represent a better compromise for the adventure rider.

Did I get it right?

Out
West
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Here is my .02...
I have ridden on and seen TKC 80's perform VERY WELL on the pavement and when aired down around 10% on the dirt/gravel/mud. I rode with a buddy last year that had TKC 80's front and rear on his Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak Edition. I saw him take a pretty sharp sweeping corner at 90 MPH with no problems. They do wear faster on the rear on some heavier bikes and bikes ridden hard. I've had a TKC 80 on the front of my ADVersys since new. Now with 6K miles and it's a bit over 1/2 worn. Riding in Alaska I will ALWAYS run a TKC 80 on the front of my V. There are just too many unimproved roads to explore here And that is the way I have chosen to set my bike up. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 Versys can be made into decent Adventure bikes. The jury is still out on the Gen 3's with the new street oriented styling. My guess is that most Gen 3 owners will be more the adventure/sport touring riders, and not like us crazy ADV style riders. NEXT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The more aggressive the tread pattern, the larger the air gap between the tread blocks means less actual rubber is in contact with the pavement. This is good for grip on loose surfaces but bad on dry pavement. Even tires like the Pirelli Scorpion (95% pavement/5% dirt) which I've used sacrifice some pavement grip to get improved dirt grip compared to sport touring tires. The TKC is designed for 50% off road use and limited pavement use. There is always a trade off and no magic bullet with dirt grip vs pavement grip.

I've read they have a fairly short lifespan (on WebBikeWorld). Posted this thread as I was not aware they were avail in Versys sizes, possibly a great choice if you ride off pavement 50% of the time but a little too dirt oriented for my riding though.
MY experience w/ a 120/70x17 on the front of my AZ V, is that it gives a LOT of grip, paved or unpaved. I do NOT try to 'drag footpegs' tho'.... On the other hand - LIKE "AlaskaJeff" I have OVER 6K miles (6,289 actually) on my TKC80 front, and it appears NO MORE than half worn.

The rear BIG BLOCK Kenda looks like this (same mileage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
...These folks don't necessarily need an aggressive "Block Tread." Puncture resistance is key here. (TKC 80s, Shinko 705) (?) There have been reports of tread separation of 705s (FastEd on his KLR) (?)

The new tires out this year that might fit the bill for many people are the new "Tourance Next" and the new "Scorpion Trail 2", that are said to be now dual compound in the 160 size, like the Scorpion Trail 1 in the 180 size. Confused Yet?
I had "incipient" tread separation on a Shinko 705 on the front of my KLR (running tubeless) over about 12" (near as I can remember). During a ride the front would be VERY HOT after 20 minutes while the rear remained merely warm. A friend on a GS1200 had a strip (about half the tread...?) TOTALLY separate from his tire. To say he was p*ssed would be understating it!

Using Metzler Tourances, 130/80 rear on the front, and 150/70 on the rear, I'm getting 18,000 MILES on the 130/80 at aprox HALF tread life....

That's the 18K 130/80 on the left, and I BELIEVE about 4,500 miles on the rear 150. Gary in South America reported getting 36,000 miles from his 130/80 front....

BTW - I run 36 psi front, 42 rear on EVERY tire I put onto my bikes....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-27-2015 at 03:51 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Researching my next tire purchase more I discovered the TKC 70's which seem more suitable for the limited off road capability of the Versys. They however do not make a 17 front tire. Right now I am leaning to the Metzler Tourance Next which come in stock sizes of 120/70-17 and 160/60-17 as do the Pirelli Scorpion II. Both are apparently now dual compound tires unlike the the previous versions. Advice?

Last edited by twowheels; 04-27-2015 at 11:11 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:05 PM

18k at 50% tread life?! Riding on not so well manicured Canadian roads? Jeez man...

I asked beacuse I would like a more block tread tire. The tourance's look nice as hell, and seemingly never die.. MY buddy just put 705 shinkos on his KLR and I was having a blast chasing him up Bear Mountain, so it kind of blew my mind how much pavement grip the bike had, when I'd be nervous to lean over the way I do on my PR3..

I just want an option for touring and upstate backroads riding.. Metzlers may be the way to go. Thanks for the detailed info as always!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode