Bugging out! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bugging out!

Bugs! Here in Oregon we had a mild winter and the bugs are everywhere! They started early and the riding season is so young!

I love a clear face shield when riding but this year I am getting plastered with bugs! Not only am I getting covered but my poor sweet Versys is always covered after a day of riding. The windscreen, the mirrors, every nook and cranny, they are such a pain to clean off. My favorite is the big fat bee that hits you like a water balloon filled with yellow paint!

Who has a good bug remover trick or product? I am just a water and paper towel guy or sometimes some Windex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you use Windex make sure it's the ammonia free version.
Ammonia is hard on the coatings used on some face shields & windshields.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:32 AM

Lemon Pledge works for me. cleans and polishes

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:21 AM

I use "Bugs B Gone" made by the same company that makes "SeaFoam" fuel treatment.

You spray it on dry, wait a minute, then wipe it off with a damp sponge or damp cloth. It has enzymes that dissolve bug guts, but it does not attack plastic, clear coat, etc.

I use it on my bug plastered helmet, too. It works great. See reviews below. Its available at AutoZone, Amazon, and many other places. The bottle used to be white, but now its red.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-BBG1-Cleaner/dp/B00062W5TG
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like the Motul or Honda cleaners
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Also, I have found using paper towels on a motorcycle or a motorcycle windshield tends to eventually cause a fair amount of abrasion and micro scratches in the finish, over time. Not good.

I have also found (many years ago) that using a diluted "cleaner" like Mr. Clean or Simple Green, etc. will strip/degrade a vehicle paint finish, over time. The cleaner/degreasers might be ok for removing bugs guts from a big RV with a dull finish that no one really looks at, but not on a motorcycle with a glossy paint finish.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM

I'm curious - does using pledge on the windshield and paint help keep the "next round" of bugs from sticking as bad?

I suppose you have to keep that spray away from the brake disks.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Bugs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bugs:Visor021.jpg (82.1 KB, 84 views)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 AM

It's also better to get at the bug splatters sooner rather than later. But after a long ride, who wants to do that.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Bugs?
Haha, oh yeah, been there, especially when riding near a river in the mountains on a sunny day! Almost can not see!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
...Who has a good bug remover trick or product?....
Generic "lemon pledge".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
Lemon Pledge works for me. cleans and polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
It's also better to get at the bug splatters sooner rather than later. But after a long ride, who wants to do that.
I TRY to spray my face and wind-shields ASAP after getting home or stopped to camp.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I use Plexus on my windscreen and face shield. While riding i keep a bottle of water and micro-fiber towel to clean them if they get bugged on the ride...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
if you think the bark beatles are bad wait till you hit a june bug... with your visor up........and as for cleaning micro fiber rag and i use spray wax, but only because i have it... if i didnt it would be water

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM

I live and ride in Wisconsin, where there are many dairy farms (with lots of bugs that splatter easily). When ever I ride by a dairy farm, I duck my head behind my windshield until I'm out of the immediate area. It saves me from having to clean my face shield so often.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I'm curious - does using pledge on the windshield and paint help keep the "next round" of bugs from sticking as bad?

I suppose you have to keep that spray away from the brake disks.
I "THINK" the bugs come off easier after a few applications. I just use it on painted areas and the screen, never get to the discs so I couldn't answer that but my gut says dondoit
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 03:38 PM

I have an aerosol can of glass cleaner that comes out in a white foam. that stuff and a microfiber towel gets rid of them right quick

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
Bugs! Here in Oregon we had a mild winter and the bugs are everywhere! They started early and the riding season is so young!

I love a clear face shield when riding but this year I am getting plastered with bugs! Not only am I getting covered but my poor sweet Versys is always covered after a day of riding. The windscreen, the mirrors, every nook and cranny, they are such a pain to clean off. My favorite is the big fat bee that hits you like a water balloon filled with yellow paint!

Who has a good bug remover trick or product? I am just a water and paper towel guy or sometimes some Windex.
Don't use Windex or other cleaners with ammonia or alcohol on plastics, especially clear, optical plastic as over time it yellows it and makes it turn foggy and hazy. Plexus is great on a visor or other plastics. It forms a layer that fills in scratching and hazing in optical plastic. This layer also allows easy subsequent bug and stain removal.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-23-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I use Plexus on my windscreen and face shield. While riding i keep a bottle of water and micro-fiber towel to clean them if they get bugged on the ride...
I like plexus too (visor and windshield). For the rest of the ride I like traditional soap, water and a bucket.

I HEARD YOU'RE IDEA'S AND THEIR DEFINATELY GOOD.
xkcd.com / 1238
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
I "THINK" the bugs come off easier after a few applications. I just use it on painted areas and the screen, never get to the discs so I couldn't answer that but my gut says dondoit
The reason I brought up the point of keeping the Pledge "overspray" away from the brake discs was -- a riding buddy of mine had a near death experience - when he sprayed WD-40 on his motorcycle, and some of the overspray drifted onto his discs - when he needed to stop, he had almost no brakes and nearly killed himself.

I asked him why he sprayed WD-40 all over his bike, he said that he heard that it would keep the dirt from sticking to it and make it easier to wash off later.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

So out on my ride today and I came across a field with boxes and boxes of bees in it sitting right next to the road. I often see these here in Oregon. I made it by no problem and then thought I was safe. Oh how I was wrong, ended up coming across many more fields with many more boxes of bees! Some of them were like driving through a hail storm! I was lucky to get out of there without getting stung. Watch out for bees!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode