West Coast Dock Watch - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
West Coast Dock Watch

I'm waiting, and I know others are waiting, for the West Coast dock snarl to finally break loose and allow all those 2015 650 LTs to get to the dealers. How about a thread that posts up any and all information/news related to that topic?

I've done lots of google-fu, but don't have much to show for it. Estimates vary, but due to the backlog of docked ships and those waiting to dock (are the bikes already in port on docked ships, or on ships still waiting to dock, or already unloaded but trapped waiting for transit via truck?), some are saying it will take 3 months for all the containers to be unloaded and contents sent inland by truck.

Please post up anything you've read, rumors or stories from dealers.

This wait is killing me.

Out
West
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out West View Post
I'm waiting, and I know others are waiting, for the West Coast dock snarl to finally break loose and allow all those 2015 650 LTs to get to the dealers. How about a thread that posts up any and all information/news related to that topic?

I've done lots of google-fu, but don't have much to show for it. Estimates vary, but due to the backlog of docked ships and those waiting to dock (are the bikes already in port on docked ships, or on ships still waiting to dock, or already unloaded but trapped waiting for transit via truck?), some are saying it will take 3 months for all the containers to be unloaded and contents sent inland by truck.

Please post up anything you've read, rumors or stories from dealers.

This wait is killing me.

Out
West
And I was complaining about my two week wait! Hearts out to you sir... It was like the Xmas eve / Groundhog Day that seemed to never end for me.... Wife was probably more ready for me to have it than I was by the end lol

My wait continues though... Took another week and a half to get the saddles and hand guards to complete my LT in... Should have em installed tomorrow hopefully.... Top case bracket...... Well that's another story, I'm hearing could be another month before its in...... Will my versys ever reach completion to what I paid for!?! Grrrrr Kawasaki is killing me

Last edited by Apollo12227; 04-23-2015 at 12:39 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 AM

From what I understand, the LT is just saddlebags and handguards on a 2015 Vs. 650. I'm sure they would give you rain-tickets on the saddlebags and handguards for $700, if they just had a 2015 available. I think the motorcycle is the real prize at the end of the rainbow.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:47 AM

I thought all of that was settled. I have seen 650 LT's and 1000 LT's here in Oregon.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
I thought all of that was settled. I have seen 650 LT's and 1000 LT's here in Oregon.
That would be nice, but per my dealer here in TX, his 2015 inventory of 650 LT's are stuck in a west coast shipyard.

Glad you are seeing some 650 LTs. That is encouraging.

Out
West
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 AM

Per my Seattle dealer my LT has been in the transfer yard at the Port of Seattle for over three weeks. One LT ordered before mine has arrived at the dealership but it's very much a wait and see issue. I've read Port of Oakland may be back logged a few months, not sure how long it will take in Seattle. I agree, let's keep a thread going for updates.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:56 AM

also, my understanding about the LT upgrades over the ABS model, when sold as a factory package there is a big markdown. My dealership actually priced it out, if they were to "assemble" an LT out of an ABS and the extra features, they would end up eating the extra costs to the tune of several hundred dollars.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:30 PM

The ships are flowing in now but there is a bottle neck on the receiving end. My company imports a lot and we have seen 2 month delays. Haven't seen any improvement yet but it shouldn't get worse.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Made my weekly call to the dealer. This time they had bit more info. Per the dealer, the LT's are on the dock awaiting transport out. He estimated two weeks. I wish they were here, in stock, but two weeks sounds pretty darn good.

Out
West
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 04:57 PM

Last update from the dealer here in Seattle is that Kawasaki corporate believes my bike will arrive at the dealership next week. Slowly but surely the bottleneck is easing. Maybe. I hope. Perhaps. A little.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 05:32 PM

Kind of a shame that those workers can cause such a mess. Probably because they are so underpaid.

Quote:
How much do West Coast longshoremen earn?

ILWU workers receive a compensation package that is “among the most lucrative among all blue-collar workers in the United States,” according to the PMA. Full-time workers earn an average of $142,000 annually in wages, along with a non-wage benefits package costing more than $82,000 per active worker per year. Pay ranges depend on the job, with regular longshoremen earning less than clerks and both of them earning less than foremen. According to the 2013 Pacific Maritime Association Annual Report, most of the 9,985 “Class A” longshoremen working that year, which comprised those who worked 2,000 or more total hours, earned roughly $137,000 per year, though many earned less and a few of the highest paid longshoremen, those who worked an average of more than 50 hours per week, earned over $200,000. Most clerks earned roughly $147,000, while the highest-paid earned well over $200,000 per year. Walking bosses, or foremen, are the highest-paid ILWU workers, many of them earning well over $200,000 and some more than $300,000. Nearly 13,600 ILWU workers are employed at West Coast ports. In 2013, the total payroll for the nearly 13,600 ILWU members was roughly $1.4 billion. For detail on ILWU worker incomes, see this display.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

If I made that kind of money I'd be buying more than one bike.

Where do I apply?

Out
West
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 PM

I know some guys that work the docks. Not saying that that's not a lot of money...but it's hard dangerous work for a lot of them in all kinds of weather with godawful shift work schedules. Compared to a lot of "soft" jobs with puffed up salaries, most of these folks earn it.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:11 AM

Don't believe those bs salary surveys. Only the ones making a lot of money respond, and they lie too (to dupe want-a-bes that will never make it and end up striking!)

I guarantee, the average salary of the strikers is not $137K/2000 hr year, or even half of that. It's probably illegals making minimum wage in hazardous duties. All workers are exploited now days by the 1%ers. Why would you think these guys would not be exploited too? The 1%ers are screwing people on both ends (like dock workers and customers both, and still making more money) and loving it.

Don't be gullible to propaganda. They are just squeezing every last penny out of every workforce in America. Why? Because they can do it, and they will make more money while they are at it. Money is what makes the world go round. The stock market makes history and NOT the other way around. NOTHING matters more than money in shaping history. Don't blame those poor slobs and say they have the highest average salary in the USA. Give me a break!

What you don't see is the % of union workers to the total force. Once a union worker builds up his salary in ANY field, they will get laid off and a new Union worker or a non-union worker will replace them. All gold-rush jobs are recruiting tricks to dupe low wage labor from suckers. The only people who see opportunity are the lowest paid people, most of time over the long haul.

Last edited by kawdog; 04-25-2015 at 03:20 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Finally - dealership says it's out of the Port of Seattle, at the assembly warehouse now (someone enlighten me - is that where all the Kawis go to get uncrated/accessory parts added, before distribution to the dealerships?), and should be at the dealer tomorrow. Have to wait until Saturday to pick it up but Seattle will have sunny and mid-60s for a getting-acquainted ride
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBike View Post
Finally - dealership says it's out of the Port of Seattle, at the assembly warehouse now (someone enlighten me - is that where all the Kawis go to get uncrated/accessory parts added, before distribution to the dealerships?), and should be at the dealer tomorrow. Have to wait until Saturday to pick it up but Seattle will have sunny and mid-60s for a getting-acquainted ride
Terrific! That is good news. I'm happy for you and hope to be reporting something similar very soon. Please post up some pics after you pick it up.

I have no idea what the uncrating thing is about. I always thought that the dealers did that.

Out
West
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM

I think that the container off the ship ends up on a semi, heading for a regional Kawi warehouse where they get uncrated from the shipping crate they came across the Pacific in. Lots of extra "stuff" the dealership might not have a lotta room to deal with. Some assembly work there, but the final prep - battery charge, other checks/adjustments - happen at the dealership.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:36 PM

That makes sense, after all your local Kawasaki dealer isn't buying a container full of bikes. I doubt my dealer could even store a container worth of bikes.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 PM

The good news: the bike is at the dealership ready for me to pick up this weekend. Bad news: it is an LT, apparently the bags did not come with it. I have heard others in the forum taking delivery of new LTs that do not have the bags and hand guards, having to come back to pick them up at a later time, I wonder what the deal is with that?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Bummer! Will the dealer comp you in some way?

Out
West
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode