Rocky Mountain versys ( new owner) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rocky Mountain versys ( new owner)

Bought my new versys 7-3-08, great bike one of my favorites to date, I do 90% if my steet bike riding in the colorado rockys on and off road. I sold my ktm 640 rally great on dirt, kind of painfull getting there by road. My thoughts of the versys so far is all good\, in the two weekennds Ive had to ride I logged over 1000 mi. I was a little concerned about how the bike would do on dirt Passes and ez 4wd trails they were put to rest this last weekend, even with the stock tires you can get away with a lot off the road. The suspension commpression is a little stiff for dirt roads with a rocky base like we have here above treeline. Its not as bad as I thought it would be, I have a friend who is a master of suspension revalves Niel @(Hitchcock Industries) I may see what he can do to take the edge off without taking away from the great cornering ability this bike has in the canyons. I did order a vario screen from kawasaki got it just before I took off this weekend 10 min install, what a great screen! no buffeting and great protection, buy one I was not disapointed .I put some hand guards from a 04 ktm 300 I had in the garage for years painted them black,they work good for wind and bug protection. A thick piece of sheep skin with a stap attached helped seat comfort to the point I now LIKE the seat on long days,Cordura soft side bags. Gas mpg 52-54 got 62 riding from Gunnison back to Denver this weekend. I WANT TO THANK YOU GUYS ON THIS WEB SITE FOR ALL THE INFO YOU HAVE PROVIDED, A TRUE PUBLIC SERVICE. or I may not have bought this bike. and for those of you like me a few weeks back ,if you can find one of these bikes buy it its well worth the money. I currently have 16 bikes, and the Versys is number 78total for me to date.. I have owned or ridden most bikes- sport touring, sport, supermoto, motocross and trails and this bike is a fun great handling and as i'm finding out a real Sport Adventure Touring bike. Thanks for reading and as you can tell this is the first time i've posted online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 PM

hand guards

Could you post picture of your bike with hand guards,I was thinking of adding some but would like to see some on bike.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm Not a computer fan I will try. The guards I have came stock on most ktm models in 04 they are not the acerbis type like on our dirt or enduro bikes that clamp below the controls and into the bar end. these clamp between the grips and controls mostly to block wind. I have seen these type of handguards made by CYCRA sold through Motosport.com selling for about $45.00 these are not structual like the acerbis guards stated above, i have a pair I tried first, with the bend of the bar, handlebar weight and how I like my controls they just wouldnt work without fab work. these bolted on by moving my controls over 5/8" for the clamp and work just as good for cold mornings.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc View Post
Bought my new versys 7-3-08, great bike one of my favorites to date, I do 90% if my steet bike riding in the colorado rockys on and off road. I sold my ktm 640 rally great on dirt, kind of painfull getting there by road. My thoughts of the versys so far is all good\, in the two weekennds Ive had to ride I logged over 1000 mi. I was a little concerned about how the bike would do on dirt Passes and ez 4wd trails they were put to rest this last weekend, even with the stock tires you can get away with a lot off the road. The suspension commpression is a little stiff for dirt roads with a rocky base like we have here above treeline. Its not as bad as I thought it would be, I have a friend who is a master of suspension revalves Niel @(Hitchcock Industries) I may see what he can do to take the edge off without taking away from the great cornering ability this bike has in the canyons. I did order a vario screen from kawasaki got it just before I took off this weekend 10 min install, what a great screen! no buffeting and great protection, buy one I was not disapointed .I put some hand guards from a 04 ktm 300 I had in the garage for years painted them black,they work good for wind and bug protection. A thick piece of sheep skin with a stap attached helped seat comfort to the point I now LIKE the seat on long days,Cordura soft side bags. Gas mpg 52-54 got 62 riding from Gunnison back to Denver this weekend. I WANT TO THANK YOU GUYS ON THIS WEB SITE FOR ALL THE INFO YOU HAVE PROVIDED, A TRUE PUBLIC SERVICE. or I may not have bought this bike. and for those of you like me a few weeks back ,if you can find one of these bikes buy it its well worth the money. I currently have 16 bikes, and the Versys is number 78total for me to date.. I have owned or ridden most bikes- sport touring, sport, supermoto, motocross and trails and this bike is a fun great handling and as i'm finding out a real Sport Adventure Touring bike. Thanks for reading and as you can tell this is the first time i've posted online.

I agree with everything you said about the Versys. I have only owned 23 bikes in my life but I have been most impressed with this one. I picked mine up last Friday and I am changing the break in oil tonight after putting over 500 on the bike last week end. Thoes miles were everything from back road canyon carving to two track jeep trails. This bike does it all better than any bike I have owned. I believe it to just as good (if not better) as the KLR650 (which I have owned) on the dirt trails. It also handles the twisties very well and I have nothing but good to say about the engine. If there is anyone on the fence about buying one do yourself a favor and go test ride one. Make sure you have funds available because you will want to leave with it.

Last edited by TAC650; 07-15-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode