Tire Time for me - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Time for me

I've been running the Michelin PR2 for years and like them (14,000 mile out of this set!) but now I think I should consider moving into the 90s and up grade a bit. Anyone run the PR3 and PR4 tires and was there a great difference between them? I've heard the PR4 can have a heavy feel on the Versys, true or not I can't say. I still have about 1,000 miles left on the set I'm running now but they are getting that heavy feel that says time about up guy! So I need to get the new tires ordered soon.

Thanks

PS I know What ANOTHER tire post?!?! I just want your input as most of you guys are OK.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 04-19-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:15 AM

No complaints on the PR4s. I have Pirelli Scorpion Trail and Pirelli Diablo Rosso II on the other bikes so I'm not 'xactly stuck on Michelin.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I loved Pilot Powers when they came out. I transitioned to Pilot Roads with the FJR, though I ran a number of different tires on it.

Currently running the Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T30 on the V1K. I don't have any wheel weights and used Ride On to balance and seal. They feel great on dry pavement in warm weather, but just about everything nowadays does. Have to wait and see how they handle in the rain and cold. Best thing about Stones is they are usually considerably cheaper than other brands...or at least used to be.

I took the V1K out to play today. Took off the bags and centerstand. Man does this thing romp. As Ronnie McD might say...I'm lovin it! I really need a trip out to the mountains to fully bond with this baby.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im running pilot power I's on my versys so far im really liking them

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Well they look good to me so just ordered a set we'll see how they work out. I'm not stuck on Michelins just I like them, but the savings on the Bridgestones is a good thing right now as I've dropped over $500.00 on gear in the last two weeks. Thanks for the heads up Saddlebag.

Now time to change the oil, filter and flush the old brake fluid out with fresh.

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:56 PM

PR4 here. When I first got them, the bike felt like it was on a tightwire made of ice. I was terrified to ride home. Once they were scrubbed, holy smoke! I don't remembe rmy PR2 having that initial scary feeling, but I do remember both sets of tires being really amazing.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
PR4 here. When I first got them, the bike felt like it was on a tightwire made of ice. I was terrified to ride home. Once they were scrubbed, holy smoke! I don't remembe rmy PR2 having that initial scary feeling, but I do remember both sets of tires being really amazing.
I did a trackday up at Mid-Ohio one year just after I had a new set of PPs put on my Duc. I was running with the faster group and they took us out to make sure everyone was up to it. On the top of the track is a big loop called the Horseshoe. It had a great big cement patch. We did a few lapse with one of the instructors and everytime I hit that thing, the damn bike would slide and scare the livin piss outta me. After those intial laps the tires had apparently shed that mold release crap and were fine the rest of the day. That is the only time I've ever noticed a new tire be exceptionally slippery.

On the other end of the spectrum, I had a set of Avon ST tires once that got about 5k miles on them and still had a reasonable amount of tread, but they lost their adhesion as if a switch had been thrown. Those were the scariest tires I've ever used.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 07:20 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1DOkhVI7dg

This video is the first part of 3. Motorcycle USA describe in a pretty decent way the pros and cons of some sport tires.
The metzeler m5 sportec, dunlop sportmax q3, battlax s-20 and bt016, pilot power 3 are all available for our versys
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Very good video, watched all three parts. Keep an eye on the guy's mirrors and at one point you can see a crash in the background.

A little surprised by the results but I have always like Pirelli tires.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:42 AM

I just mounted PR3s a few weeks ago and really like them so far; but I really haven't had much chance to test the limits of them yet.

* I went with PR3s over PR4s because i understand that the PR4s have slightly harder rubber compound all around which offer longer tire life. But honestly I'd rather replace rubber more often than motorcycles i.e. Tire Life vs My Life... haha

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I would've loved to put a PR4 on my rear a couple weeks ago to match my PR4 on the front, but due to short timeline and a lack of foresight, I had to settle for a Battleax T30 as that's what they had in stock. No real opinions as of yet on the T30, but I love the PR4 on the front...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 AM

I just ordered a set of Metzeler M7RR for mine. It's a new tire Metzeler has come out with. The reviews are really good for an all round tire leaning towards the sport side. Check them out.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:19 AM

Garage
Loved the PR2's, the PR4's are even better. No heavy feeling on my Versys
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:01 PM

I've been loyal to Continental for decades.

Had their Road Attacks, Trail Attacks, and TCK80's on my ole R1100GS.

Going to transition my recently acquired 2009 V back to some Conti's soon too.

I tend to be loyal to, and stay with, what has always worked best for me.

That also includes using Dynabeads in all of my tires.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:48 PM

I went from PR2s to PR4s about 8 months ago. Loved the 2's, love the 4s. I ride from -6f to 105f every day of the year, and either set of tires has been most excellent in all kinds of conditions. If one were to ride blindfolded with earplugs on (not a great idea) in the rain they'd be hard pressed to tell it was raining...

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Continuing videos can be accessed at the completion of each video:

No Video
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Well this is Crazy! I ordered the tires Sunday and they are here already. A thumbs up for MotorcycleSuperStore.

I still can't mount them until Saturday though.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode