New engine break in - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New engine break in

I've been reading about engine break in as I wait for a 2015 650 LT to make it to my dealer. Wondering if anyone here has used the MotoMan method? Here is a link if you are interested: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.

Basically MotoMan is claiming that the piston rings are the critical piece of this process and that slow riding, or riding at constant rpms, are a detriment to long term seating, horse power and engine life. In fact, he says the first 20 miles make all the difference.

I'd love to know if anyone has followed the MotoMan guidelines for break in and what kind of mileage you have on that engine today.

Out
West
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:13 AM

I have on multiple motorcycles and cars including the '12 Versys. It works as claimed.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 AM

That was my method as well. In fact I changed the oil and filter three times within two hundred miles then a fourth at 1000 miles. Why not, no biggie since I'll have the bike for many thousands.
The oil DOES stay cleaner looking between changes compared to other bikes I've owned broken in differently.
The only thing I did not do was run it up to redline as he suggests. I did quickly shift up to second and ran under load up to 7or 8000 RPM then through the gears then down again. My bike never saw constant RPM for more than 50 miles and even then as little as possible.
I feel good about that break in to this very day. DO IT.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:31 AM

I used the MotoMan breakin on my 2015 650. I'm only at ~1200 miles now, but no problems so far. The engine runs smooth.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
The only thing I did not do was run it up to redline as he suggests. I did quickly shift up to second and ran under load up to 7or 8000 RPM then through the gears then down again.
It wont hurt it any. I toured the Marysville Honda plant once and got to see the process of building their bikes. Last thing before they crated them up was put them on what appeared to be a dyno and revved em out through the gears.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:14 PM

I just rode mine like I normally would ride a bike until I get comfortable with it. gave it a little juice in the first ride to see what it had though, wheelied twice coming off a stop light without trying.

I believe in the theory of getting the rings to seat properly in the first couple hundred miles.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 06:59 PM

As you will see as this thread develops, it is a very controversial topic. To answer your question directly; I have used the motoman method on two bikes. As far as I know, it didn't harm either one.

I'm no diplomat
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:15 PM

Everything Motoman said about the metal in the oil after 25 miles is true.
It goes away in time.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 PM

Garage
If you do a little research in the forum, you'll find out that the motoman method his well documented

Lots of pro's, some other con's

I used this method on both my KLR and my V
So far, nothing negative to report

My 2 cents

LOP
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I used the Motoman method on both my Vs, and 'broke' them in on the ride home, them changed the oil.

One is at 57,xxx miles, the other at 53,xxx kms. NEITHER uses or burns oil!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Unless you are planning to keep the bike for the next 150,000 miles, it doesn't really matter. How many bikes ever make it to a mileage where they might see the results of one break in method over another?

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Unless you are planning to keep the bike for the next 150,000 miles, it doesn't really matter. How many bikes ever make it to a mileage where they might see the results of one break in method over another?
Good point. I doubt many bike owners keep them that long.

All posts so far favor the MotoMan break in. One post mentioned some "cons", but nothing specific has been posted.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to use the Motoman method on my next new bike.

Out
West
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 PM

Rev it to stretch everything out.
Don't lug it
Change oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode