Just got my used bike delivered by the dealer and oh no... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got my used bike delivered by the dealer and oh no...

Hi guys, I'm looking for some input how you would handle this situation. I purchased a used bike from a dealer and as it was being delivered he dropped it. The bike was not even running he was just rolling it off the truck. Low speed coming off the truck, not much damage, the bar end and the lower side of engine cover are scratched.

It sucks but not sure how to handle it, he says he will talk to his boss and see what they will do, I'm not sure what I want them to do? I don't know if I would rather have the cover replaced or if I would rather have an engine guard or bars to protect it if I do it again? The bar end is minor and he says no problem to replace it.

It's my first bike, I take the class this week. The bike is a 2012 versys 650 with 5000 kms on it. Its super clean other than this damage.

Thanks

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 AM

they did it, have them replace the damaged parts.

for the future though, you should probably buy the crash bars. the versys is my second bike, and I dropped my first bike a couple times, even with its 2" lower seat height.

I plan on getting the sw-motech crash bars and barkbusters to protect my bike in the event of a tip over.

congrats on your first bike!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Agree. They should replace any damaged parts with new OEM.
Doesn't matter that you might drop it at some point in time, the point is that they damaged it. They should be offering to replace, no questions asked.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would be weary of doing business with a dealer who hires a moron to deliver bikes.

IMO, your choice is having them replace the damage, or offer you a payout, or store credit equivalent to replacing the parts (including labor).

Personally, I wouldn't trust the dealer and would take the cash.

But, if you are not mechanically inclined and need the dealer to install the accessories, you may have to make a different choice.

Good luck.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I trust the dealer fully, I have no reason not too although it will depend on the reply I get on Monday. I guess my question is I can live with the scratch, would I rather have crash bars then a new cover?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:33 AM

I would say the dealer is obliged to replace the damaged parts not add crash bars, although of course he could do that to make you happy. I wouldn't sweat it. I dropped mine I think the very first day while practicing u-turns. But this is a good opportunity to see how this dealer treats you when things go wrong. Could be he keeps all your future business or loses it over this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:49 AM

You might be able to live with the scratch but will the next buyer feel the same? The dealer needs to make it right. Should be the same condition as when you paid for it.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:09 AM

So, you accepted delivery I gather. I would have sent it back. They should offer to repair it quickly at no cost to you at this point.

I'm no diplomat
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:13 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
THEY did it... THEY are 110% responsible make them replace every little thing you can get them too.. fight them, threaten to take them to court.... make them your b*tch and make sure your getting your bike in 100% condition you purchased it in...

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
You might be able to live with the scratch but will the next buyer feel the same? The dealer needs to make it right. Should be the same condition as when you paid for it.
He's a new rider. Prolly won't be the last one...
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I would be weary of doing business with a dealer who hires a moron to deliver bikes.
Now that one made me laugh. C'mon man, you never had an accident or made a mistake?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The dealer has insurance to cover such things. Have them bring it back to what you bought originally.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:52 PM

I agree that the dealer should replace anything that was damaged during delivery without question.

It shouldn't be a question of living with the scratch and damage OR getting crash bars. Get the damage fixed, and ask for a good price on the crash bars.

Just my opinion.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

It was delivered by the salesman that was recommended to me by two people I trust and have been dealing with him for a number of years. When he told me this is the first bike he dropped in 20 years, I believe him. **** happened and its a tall bike, coming off a ramp it's even taller. As was said earlier I don't mind the scratch but the next buyer might question it. I'll see what he says tomorrow, but I think I will have them supply the parts and I'll replace the cover in the fall.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Got any pics of your bike and the damage?
You get better and more authoritative feedback with pics.

It'll be all right, don't worry.

Last edited by kawdog; 04-19-2015 at 03:12 PM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 03:39 PM

I agree with the others here, He dropped it he fixes it.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 PM

How high was it off the ground when the bike drop ?
How do you ensure the engine cradle is not bent or twisted ?
Dont be surprised if a standard crash bar / slider cannot be lined up during installation.
Did you start the engine is see if oil leaks are present after the drop ?
Just a caution note.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Now that one made me laugh. C'mon man, you never had an accident or made a mistake?
It was the way the poster said the guy responded, that made me say the moron comment. He will talk to his boss and see what he will do? He should have been on the phone right there in front of the customer. Then he should have handed the phone over so the customer could talk directly with the boss. He should have said, "don't worry sir, we WILL make this right".

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I would be weary of doing business with a dealer who hires a moron to deliver bikes. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
We all know Joe doesn't suffer fools very well

I'm no diplomat
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Once you get this all sorted out and you buy an engine guard and Barkbusters, consider getting a front axle slider, too. I installed one about a year ago, and then a couple of weeks ago, I dropped my bike in the driveway. The axle slider was scratched. That implies that without the slider, the fork would have been scratched instead.

In the five years I've had the Versys, I have dropped it at least twice -- no, wait, at least three times -- and I lowsided once on the track. The engine guard and the long, stainless-steel HVMP bar ends have been invaluable.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 04-20-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode