V1K Day Fo Me! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
V1K Day Fo Me!

Well, after many long months, my ship finally came in:

V1K.jpg

My thoughts.

Weight: Man is it light. I rode my FJR in this morning to trade. More importantly, I backed it out of the garage. It felt like a lead anvil compared to the V1K.

Height: Dropped the clamps on the forks an inch and the rear an inch with an adjustable dog bone and as you can see, my 29" inseam can nearly flat foot it on both sides. Awesome. Problem is the kickstand stood the bike straight up and down. Dealer cut it off for me and I brought a plate with me as I knew that would probably be the case. Waiting patiently for Speedy to hook me up with one of his lowering flatfeet.

Engine: 2 Power modes, 3 traction control modes. I think the traction control is probably a little overkill. I set it on the least intrusive. The power modes are interesting. I started on Full Power mode. The throttle response is excessively responsive IMHO. Very hard to be smooth. Any minor input results in an exponential output. Low Power mode was FAR better and if the bike lost any power riding around, I didn't notice it. Mine will stay on L from here on.

Another interesting difference, that may be my imagination, is the visceral response of the handlebars. I say that rather than vibration, because what comes thru isn't a vibration of the type that puts your hands to sleep or is otherwise annoying, but there is enough vibration emitted that you feel the character of the engine. And in Full Power mode, that feeling is very busy. In Low Power mode, it feels more sedate, even with the engines spinning at the same RPMs. Weird.

Brakes: Very good. Like the power, because the bike is so light, you really have to apply them very lightly to keep your passenger from banging into your helmet. The rear lever is too low for me. Not sure there is a way to adjust it. Need to look into this further.

Seat: Comfortable for me, my wife's favorite of all time (in fairness to other seats, we only rode about 40 miles together). I think it's softness will become uncomfortable on longer rides. Have to wait and see.

Ergonomics: Saying they are spot-on fantastic is probably being unnecessarily hard on them. I'd say it's as good as a motorcycle can get. I would like to find some highway pegs just to be able to move around a little though.

Handling: Like the power and brakes, the bike, being so light with such wide bars makes it ridiculously easy to change direction. The downside is that it is ridiculously easy to change direction. Being light on the bars and being conscious not to make any accidental inputs is more critical than many other bikes, I've ridden. OTOH, when you are gentle with the bars, you are rewarded with light, precise handling that tracks like luge full of men in spandex.

Mileage: Computer showed avg 39.5 mpg after 60 miles. 90+ fuel required.

Luggage: It's nice, but I'm still contemplating buying bigger bags from Shad.

Wind protection: Unbelievable that that tiny screen does such an effective job of splitting the wind. Even at 80+mph, my wife nor I had any issues with either noise or buffeting. Bravo!

Gearbox: Smooth, quiet, precise.

Clutch: On up shifts, I found it released and engage too fast or something. Made upshifting kind of lurchy. I found that preloading the shifter and forgoing the clutch worked best. The bike must have a slipper clutch. I was having similar issues getting my throttle blipping smooth with it, but then I thought I remembered reading it had a slipper clutch. I started just banging down the gears sans blippage and it was like cutting hot butter. Mahhhvolous...

Today was a good day to be me!

Last edited by saddlebag; 04-18-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:11 PM

Garage
Great review
Sounds like it's a winner for you, congrats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
to you and Fast Eddie. You guys saved me $500!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
congrats. Enjoy the new ride

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Happy days are here again!

Take it easy now. If you just had a separated femur bone 5 months ago (??), that is one miraculous recovery.

You are ready to tour the world now.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Happy days are here again!

Take it easy now. If you just had a separated femur bone 5 months ago (??), that is one miraculous recovery.

You are ready to tour the world now.
5 months and 7 days.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
good for you i put about 60 more miles on my old 08 with its one power mode and traction control turned off (2 up all the way)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode