Test Driving Used 2009 Tips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Test Driving Used 2009 Tips

Hi everyone.

I finally have found 2 bikes that I can possibly have a chance to buy this weekend. 1, a 2008 red with 7,750 miles that I was not allowed to testdrive, and 2, a 2009 with 11,000 miles which I am allowed and will be checking out today.

Are there any suggestions on what I should be checking during the ride?

Any tips on what I should do while riding?

Used Car test driving has taught me to ride it on the freeway if possible and to go through the gears, and then also let it sit and idle to see how it performs once hot and check for oil, coolant drips and or overheating, fans working. I'm assuming the same is with a bike?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 12:03 PM

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Last edited by King.Versys; 04-17-2015 at 12:08 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank You for that. I just read the whole thing. Very informative.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 PM

de nada
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by op1kanobi View Post
Hi everyone.

I finally have found 2 bikes that I can possibly have a chance to buy this weekend. 1, a 2008 red with 7,750 miles that I was not allowed to testdrive, and 2, a 2009 with 11,000 miles which I am allowed and will be checking out today.

Are there any suggestions on what I should be checking during the ride?

Any tips on what I should do while riding?

Used Car test driving has taught me to ride it on the freeway if possible and to go through the gears, and then also let it sit and idle to see how it performs once hot and check for oil, coolant drips and or overheating, fans working. I'm assuming the same is with a bike? Vibration noises from fairing rattling are not a bad thing as they can easily be fixed with some double sided foam tape. After market parts can be worth a lot if they are what you want.

Thanks!
Ignore the year. They are identical. I would look for signs of accident damage and tip over damage although it is not all bad if bike was dropped a few times. Also factor in cost of replacing tires if the tires are near wear bars, check chain condition as it will be a window on how bike was cared for.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Ignore the year. They are identical. I would look for signs of accident damage and tip over damage although it is not all bad if bike was dropped a few times. Also factor in cost of replacing tires if the tires are near wear bars, check chain condition as it will be a window on how bike was cared for.
Bike looks clean. Very clean. It is in an upscale neiborhood so I'm hoping that all maintenance has been done up to now and that it has been serviced by a pro. Hoping.

The only thing I am unsure of by pics is this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks like an oil gauge or something. I'll make sure to inspect it in person, but is there anything I should look out for? Read on other posts where it was more of a distraction to look at, but if it works, should I consider what digits come up?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Bike looks clean. Very clean. It is in an upscale neiborhood so I'm hoping that all maintenance has been done up to now and that it has been serviced by a pro. Hoping.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks like an oil gauge or something. I'll make sure to inspect it in person, but is there anything I should look out for? Read on other posts where it was more of a distraction to look at, but if it works, should I consider what digits come up?
That is non standard. Ask owner. Looks like a 12V accessory socket.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:51 PM

Garage
A little fairing buzzing from vibration can be fixed with double sided foam tape. It's normal and easy to fix.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Are there any suggestions on what I should be checking during the ride?

Any tips on what I should do while riding?...
Check UP and DOWN thru the gears for clutch-action, smoothness, any unusual noises, throttle action. Up to freeway speed IF possible (or revs to 5,500 in a gear, as that's about the revs for 75 mph - 132 km/hr) checking that it feels OK.

Brakes, front and rear for effectiveness, and look at the discs for scoring. No leaks; chain seems properly tensioned (1 to 1.4" play); tires for tread, etc.

IF the rest looks OK, you're probably good-to-go!

PS I have one of EACH - an '08 and an '09.... -

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

thats a wolo airhorn... a very common mod here as the stock horn isnt that loud...

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
thats a wolo airhorn... a very common mod here as the stock horn isnt that loud...
Oh, Nice. Always wanted an airhorn on my other bike. Well, hope this one works out, cause it's 30 VS an 80 mile drive, and the 09 looks much nicer than the 08.. cosmetic-wise at least.

Thanks for all the input!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Some 2008's had a frame issue and stick coil problem also if i remember right.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
and an inferior front master brake cylinder

I'm no diplomat
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Frame issues? 2008, 2009?
CA only approves of 2009 and later if I'm correct, but I'd want to steer clear of frame issues!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Frame issues? 2008, 2009?
CA only approves of 2009 and later if I'm correct, but I'd want to steer clear of frame issues!
2008's only....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm glad I was able to test drive it. Took it for a spin out the lot and into the freeway for about a 5 mile round trip ride.

First of all, other than just falling in love with the versys, and all the great things I hear about it, and the numerous options to make it a great commuter/tourer... I have never ridden or driven one until now.

Talk about low end power. Felt Like I was riding a pick up truck or a jeep. Quickly reached high speeds, though I'm assuming original sprockets, it felt a bit high on the revs.

No noise from the windscreen and it had an after market tall one, but lots of wind noise at that altitude regardless. Did I mention that I'm 5, 41/2 feet short? This bike was tall. I felt like I almost could have gone down if it wasn't for me sliding my butt to the sides. The seat was also aftermarket and higher than the stock one on the 08 I sat on last week.

Overall, the Bike ran great, and looked great. Now I just really need to decide if it's for me.

Thanks for all the feed back. I may soon be a new Versys Owner.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 06:32 PM

Ouch! Honda's are made for short people. Try one of those VFR's. It killed me from leg/knee/calf cramps. You may fit perfect on it, and it is a nice bike o/w.

Yeah, the Vs. 650 is the tallest I've ridden too. It takes getting used to for most anybody under 6'-2".

Last edited by kawdog; 04-17-2015 at 06:35 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

@ Kawdog, lol, my calves cramped up from the test ride.. and left side of my back hurts this morning. If I get Iit, Im slicing that seat in half.. Im 135lbs so I dont think I even made a dent in that seat. Riding it was never an issue.. the mount/dismount was a workout though.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 04:19 PM

Yea you might want to try a Susuki SV650. My son is 5'7 and really loves his SV, he has the naked version but a windscreen could be added. He has rode my V but didn't like how tall it is. The SV is similar in power and ride ability and are priced similar as well. Good luck with your search.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 04:41 PM

Garage
See if you can find an ER6N.....http://www.cycletrader.com/Kawasaki-...6n&vrsn=hybrid

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode