finally found a shortcoming of the versys. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
finally found a shortcoming of the versys.

a ladyfriend asked if we could go for a ride, usually I use my honda CB900 when I'm taking a passenger but since that bike is down for some maintenance. I decided to take the versys. wow, not a comfortable bike with a passenger, I knew there was a reason a held onto that tempermental old CB900. is it just me or do other folks have a similar experience on the V with a passenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i agree its better just one up (being im about 150 lbs) but i ride with my roommate (also about 150 lbs) on the back all the time but he is also a very good passenger (very loose) and sometimes my husband (about200lbs and not as good of a passenger sometimes) without issue ...but ive also spent many years riding way overloaded bikes and bikes with passengers

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 PM

"not comfortable" means... what, exactly?

i have had no complaints after riding 2up on versys. rides were too short for the stock saddle to become bothersome.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
"not comfortable" means... what, exactly?

i have had no complaints after riding 2up on versys. rides were too short for the stock saddle to become bothersome.
it feels cramped, admittedly she's only been on a motorcycle one before so she was holding on so tight I wonder if I'll have a bruise on my stomach in the morning. the slant of the seat also felt more pronounced as it stuffed my nuts into the tank. I really need to quit wasting time and order my seat concepts seat.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
a ladyfriend asked if we could go for a ride, usually I use my honda CB900 when I'm taking a passenger but since that bike is down for some maintenance. I decided to take the versys. wow, not a comfortable bike with a passenger, I knew there was a reason a held onto that tempermental old CB900. is it just me or do other folks have a similar experience on the V with a passenger.

I made the mistake of letting my other half ride on my Victory with wide Mustang seat, floorboards, and large backrest. There's nothing I can do to the Versys to equal that comfort so about 15 minutes of Versys riding time is about her limit. I will say it seems easier riding with her on the Versys - at least for me and I enjoy the V more than any other bike that I can remember so I guess I'll just have more "Man Trips" in the future.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM

Garage
I have taken a pillion 3 times on the Versys.
1st time was my son who is around 110kg and the bike was almost uncontrollable upon changing direction (ie roundabouts, we have lots of them here)
2nd time was a friend who is lighter and we were on a country road (no roundabouts) it was ok but still a bit cramped
3rd time was a small, light lady and it was a lot more comfortable. And before the smart arse comments come she was 85!

My ZRX1200 is a lot more comfortable to pillion with.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
I made the mistake of letting my other half ride on my Victory with wide Mustang seat, floorboards, and large backrest. There's nothing I can do to the Versys to equal that comfort so about 15 minutes of Versys riding time is about her limit. I will say it seems easier riding with her on the Versys - at least for me and I enjoy the V more than any other bike that I can remember so I guess I'll just have more "Man Trips" in the future.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
My wife won't even get on any bike but the Voyager. But, then again, that is why I bought it. She chose it over the Goldwing.

Now when I was single and living on Daytona Beach, I would give girls a ride and liked the fact that they were pressed up against my back.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 AM

I don't do two-up on the Versys. Have never even tried. There are better tools for the job.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:07 AM

I've taken the girlfriend on a long ride on the Versys and forgot she was back here (that earned a sharp dig in the ribs when taking a corner too hot) but even though she is a great passenger I found it awkward at low speeds. More importantly she found it uncomfortable all the time so she doesn't get on it anymore. Any 2up trips are now on the maxi-scoot and for her it is luxurious in comparison and for me it is stable at any speed.
We sat on the V1000 at the bike show and that got her seal of approval so I can see one of those in the garage at some point for that reason alone.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:21 AM

The passenger makes a HUGE difference. I have a coworker that is a wonderful passenger and we've gone on long rides. She is tiny and light, but she is always paying attention to the road and gets involved in the riding, while I do feel she is back there, the bike does behave perfectly. On the other hand, my ex-wife, which is also a petite female, is a terrible passenger and I hate riding with her.

Heavier passengers? I don't think so, the Versys becomes WAY too much wheelie happy and too light on the front end to my liking.

Space I think is fine, I don't have an issue with that.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:24 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
The passenger makes a HUGE difference.

Heavier passengers? I don't think so, the Versys becomes WAY too much wheelie happy and too light on the front end to my liking.

Space I think is fine, I don't have an issue with that.
agree with all three 100%

on ANY bike a bad / tight passenger is a unpleasant thing and can be very dangerous, a good / loose passenger (most of the time)can feel like they are not even there...

having someone heavier then you DEFINITELY means you have to be realllllly light on the throttle (specially in 1st and 2nd gear) tho i do have to say the versys is quite well balanced and with carefull feathering can hold that front wheel off the ground for a ways on just power

and even with stock seat space is fine , tho my roommate complains his nuts get mashed by the small hump on the back seat that i call the Clit-tickler (there for HER pleasure)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...wow, not a comfortable bike with a passenger, I knew there was a reason a held onto that tempermental old CB900. is it just me or do other folks have a similar experience on the V with a passenger.
I carry a SMALL passenger quite often, about 110 pounds, and she says it's quite comfortable, and rides can be several hours long....

Quote:
...the slant of the seat also felt more pronounced as it stuffed my nuts into the tank. I really need to quit wasting time and order my seat concepts seat.
Try SEARCH for raising the front of the seat to FIX that!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
When I read the post title I thought for sure you were going to say the shortcoming is that the Versys doesn't make a very good snow plow.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 AM
djg

The passenger seat looks like it will give you a "wedgie".
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Haven't gone 2 up on the 650 LT yet. Still coaxing the wife to give it a shot :-/ I've only gone 2 up with my daughter as the passenger on my 2009 ER-6N. She's about 140 lbs and tall. She sits upright and always uses the grab rails. That's the difference imho. I barely knew she was there (!) ...even at low speeds. We rode for about 4 hours. Making stops for lunch and what not.

My wife weighs about 100 lbs and rode with me for about 10 mins but hugged my waist. Not fun at all. Completely changed the ride in all the wrong ways. But she refuses to use the rails.

So, guess it's just me and the kid on the V! ;-)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
it feels cramped, admittedly she's only been on a motorcycle one before so she was holding on so tight I wonder if I'll have a bruise on my stomach in the morning. the slant of the seat also felt more pronounced as it stuffed my nuts into the tank. I really need to quit wasting time and order my seat concepts seat.
the seat concepts is great for pushing back onto your hamstrings more, and not being forced forward. When I'm in twisties, I tend to sit right on the tank, and being a very small framed guy, my lady would have to almost sit on the front seat to make contact with me. Since I ride modestly with a passenger, I'm usually backed up into the bulk of the saddle and the passenger sits straight up and we're both comfortable. Plenty of power there for 2 up!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:00 AM

I hate riding 2up on the Versys. For starters neither my wife or I are petite people, we're probably pushing the 400lbs mark when both of us are geared up.
I'm ok with the handling aspects and the bike seems to do OK with it but there just isn't enough room. My wife is not an experienced rider and she's not confident back there so she stays pretty tight to me. I've told her several times to back off and stay loose, I've told her she isn't going to fall off the back but she still crowds, it's like wearing a huge backpack. Our helmets are forever bumping. We don't ride 2up unless it's very, very short distance.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
Haven't gone 2 up on the 650 LT yet.
I have on the V1K and the bike is a bit top heavy with her perched way up high back there. It only becomes an issue at lower speeds. The part I had the most trouble with was trying to be smooth. In Full Power mode, the throttle is way sensitive, causing a lot of lurching about if not being meticulously careful with it. Low Power mode solves most of that. Brakes are also very strong and must be modulated delicately as well to keep from doing the helmet bump.

The next day, I took the bike out in the country alone and put it back in Full Power mode to get my racerboy on. There, it worked like a peach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode