Finally got my '15 Versys LT.... sorta.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Finally got my '15 Versys LT.(650) ... sorta....

So.... Good news is I picked up my VersysLT on Saturday morning. I immediately fell in-love and don't regret my decision to join the versys family in the slightest!!!

Bad news... Even though I paid the $700 markup for the LT model... the factory shipped it without the panniers or handgaurds!!

This means another long week of waiting for the other 10% of my Versys to come in! The baseplate for the rear case (purchased seperately) won't be here for a few additional weeks.

Guess that's the only downside to buying first few months into a new model year!!!

Anyways.... Did my first oil change at 56 miles... Threw in a goldplug magnetic oil plug and tossed some rare earth magnets onto the new oil filter.

This factory break-in period is killing me! Manual says to not exceed 4K RPMS for the first 500 miles.... This means 55MPH riding or less for WAAAYYY too long... I'm allowed to hit 6K RPMS once I reach 500 apparently... maybe I can do 65 or 70 at that point?!

I'll post pics once I get the rest of the bike in and put together.

Last edited by Apollo12227; 04-14-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 06:39 PM

Congrats and gave fun with it! Report back after you spend some time with her!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:20 PM

motoman break-in. I rode mine 50 miles home from the dealer in the bronx, basically shredding it up. I didn't redline it or anything, but it definitely saw 6-7k in every gear. I also changed my oil before my next ride.

Good luck, and enjoy! Those parts will be here in no time, and the long wait will be but a bad memory. What color is yours??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
motoman break-in. I rode mine 50 miles home from the dealer in the bronx, basically shredding it up. I didn't redline it or anything, but it definitely saw 6-7k in every gear. I also changed my oil before my next ride.

Good luck, and enjoy! Those parts will be here in no time, and the long wait will be but a bad memory. What color is yours??
Thanks!

Went with the white... Woulda gone green but I hated the pannier accent for the LT, the green accent panniers look toyish to me for some reason. All black would be better IMO. Guess I could have gone aftermarket but only a $700 markup for the LT had me hooked!

Yeah I should have gone motoman... Too late now though me thinks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 AM

Congrats. I got mine (black beauty) last Thursday, panniers and handguards inc. I hope you ordered a service manual already (I did). The owners manual is typically brief. You will find that removing the fairing(s) is like figuring out how to complete a rubecks cube for the first time. Ya need the book! I to am anxious to get through (at least) the first 500 miles of break-in. Your have probably already noticed the final drive ratio is too low for the power and torque that ninja engine has, and for a road bike the difference between each upshift is too close. I have already ordered a 16T front sprocket (hell, taking off from a standing start in 2nd gear is totally easy!). I am looking forward to future sizzle after break-in! If you did get a service manual please post a photo or two of the pages describing fairings removal and cooling. I have not yet determined if this bike has a radiator bypass hose, but I'm thinking it does not based on the coolant temp changes during riding conditions. (google thermo-bob, a VERY worthy non-OEM thermostat). Happy trails, I hope some other 1000LT owners chime in...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwilldo View Post
Congrats. I got mine (black beauty) last Thursday, panniers and handguards inc. I hope you ordered a service manual already (I did). The owners manual is typically brief. You will find that removing the fairing(s) is like figuring out how to complete a rubecks cube for the first time. Ya need the book! I to am anxious to get through (at least) the first 500 miles of break-in. Your have probably already noticed the final drive ratio is too low for the power and torque that ninja engine has, and for a road bike the difference between each upshift is too close. I have already ordered a 16T front sprocket (hell, taking off from a standing start in 2nd gear is totally easy!). I am looking forward to future sizzle after break-in! If you did get a service manual please post a photo or two of the pages describing fairings removal and cooling. I have not yet determined if this bike has a radiator bypass hose, but I'm thinking it does not based on the coolant temp changes during riding conditions. (google thermo-bob, a VERY worthy non-OEM thermostat). Happy trails, I hope some other 1000LT owners chime in...
Jeff,

He has a Vs. 650, and except for the fairing can pretty much buy a 2010 shop manual off of ebay for $10 plus shipping to get by for the moment. If you got a V1K, you are the only one in this thread so far. A guy or two from Australia and N.Z and Texas and Europe have one I know of (and Saddlebag and Joe are looking at one.) I'm sure there are others too, but not many in comparison to the Vs.650.

I'm not sure if Invader and/or Joe are moderators, but maybe they will give you guys a location to herd all of you together so you can figure out your new bike. The guy from TX and Australia already have theirs finished and touring. When Joe gets his he won't be far behind I'm sure. I'd search for your bike's key words and find out who the leaders are in your bike, to optimize your time (, although they are touring now I think.) I hear there is a V1K site in UK or Europe.

I think for the most part, other than accessories, the V1K is a monster ready for 2 up touring from day one, where as the Vs. 650 has to be finessed more to meet everyones different needs and ergonomics.

Last edited by kawdog; 04-14-2015 at 02:16 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Congrats on your 2015 V1K! More power for the ride, Cheers!

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:13 PM

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
...This factory break-in period is killing me! Manual says to not exceed 4K RPMS for the first 500 miles.... This means 55MPH riding or less for WAAAYYY too long... I'm allowed to hit 6K RPMS once I reach 500 apparently... maybe I can do 65 or 70 at that point?!
http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
...Yeah I should have gone motoman... Too late now though me thinks.
I DON'T think it's too late - go for it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:28 PM

Congrats and Welcome.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:16 PM

I'm salivating over the new LT.

Let's see some pics!

And welcome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode