SW-Motech and Hard Bag Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW-Motech and Hard Bag Question

Hi Folks,

I have a 2009 V. I want to get the SW-Motech frame and I was looking at the smaller Givi E21's hard cases. But I read somewhere these smaller bags don't quite cover the frame. I'm concerned that it might look odd. Does anyone else have this setup and can confirm if it looks ok and perhaps take a pic? I like the E21's mostly because they aren't too bulky (and cost wise they are good value).

Thanks for the help/advice.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I recall years ago comparing the overall width of the bike with 21s, versus the V35s with the frames that tuck them in closer. I don't recall the exact measurement, but for me it was an easy decision to go with the 35s since I travel with the bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:43 PM
djg

I have an '09 with E21s and the Givi rack. Looking at the SW Motech rack on twisted throttle, it looks significantly wider than the Givi. Hard to tell for sure because they don't have a good straight rear view. If it's compactness you're after, you might want to investigate that difference. Anyone with knowledge to the contrary, please advise. I like the Givi racks a lot.

This thread shows E21s on SW racks, looks fine to me.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=13048

Last edited by djg; 04-13-2015 at 07:49 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, that other thread shows it pretty well. The cases may not cover it 100% but it looks fine.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I have an '09 with E21s and the Givi rack. Looking at the SW Motech rack on twisted throttle, it looks significantly wider than the Givi....
The SW Motech rack is about 2" wider than is the GiVi PL447.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The SW Motech rack is about 2" wider than is the GiVi PL447.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1429029341.065948.jpg

This is PL447 with E21's on a 2012. Since it is more narrow you do have to lower the turn signals using the supplied brackets and also you have to extend the wiring. None of this was difficult.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:57 AM
djg

On my '09, I did have to move the signals, but by clever (lazy) routing, I did not have to extend any signal wiring. Looking at other installs, I think Givi may have changed the turn signal mounts they include in their kit. Also, others have installed smaller signals or shortened the stalks to avoid relocation.

Last edited by djg; 04-15-2015 at 09:03 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 AM

I went with Kappa and did not need to move my rear signals. Th bags barely clear the signals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0955.jpg (42.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0957.jpg (34.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0962.jpg (26.8 KB, 68 views)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz View Post
I went with Kappa and did not need to move my rear signals. Th bags barely clear the signals.
That setup looks nice. How much were the rack and bags each? It's hard to beat Givi on aerodynamics, but those saddlebags look great.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 PM

I picked the racks used at $100. The Givi top box and rack were part of the bike when I purchased, I beleieve it added $125 to the price of the used bike, I convinced the previous owner to sell with the bke.

The Kappa were purchased at http://www.motostorm.it/en/products/...r33-garda.html

Motostorm was very easy to deal with, got the bags for a flat shipping rate of $35 and within a week of order, even though I was quoted 14 dys for delivery.

Last edited by putz; 04-16-2015 at 08:02 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 PM

I've got SWMotech racks and had E21s on my 09. The bottom rear corner of the racks do slightly peak out past the rear of the E21s. It's noticable but not really unattractive or strange looking at all. I don't have a photo that shows the rear of the boxes enough to indicate how much of the rack you can see though. Here's a side view of the bike but not from an angle to see the rack, and a rear view that kind of shows the rack in relation to the E21s.

Sorry, I know niether photo is much good to you, I would take another but I removed my e21s for bigger boxes a few months ago.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz View Post
I picked the racks used at $100. The Givi top box and rack were part of the bike when I purchased, I beleieve it added $125 to the price of the used bike, I convinced the previous owner to sell with the bke.

The Kappa were purchased at http://www.motostorm.it/en/products/...r33-garda.html

Motostorm was very easy to deal with, got the bags for a flat shipping rate of $35 and within a week of order, even though I was quoted 14 dys for delivery.
Thanks, not bad; but compared to the $85 ea w/metal lock Sea Horse 720's, the shipping and conversion rate may knock it out of water. I've got one on my rear AL SW rack now, and it slices through the wind pretty good. The same size saddlebags for trips only would work for carrying clothes. Then all else will go in an US Army large duffle bag between my trunk and me on the seat as a backrest.

I don't like riding with saddlebags, so I've got time to look for my racks for the Sea Horse bags. Several people have them here, but I want to find the trimmest mounts for them possible; and I know some just use what they had on.

But yours looked buff: good job! They look like they are in the running for a possible alternative when I do the math. (BOOKMARKED)

Thanks!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the replies and information. I finally broke down and ordered. I decided on Givi racks and the E22N's. Once I have that on and ride for a bit I may get a top case too.

The question is what to get next!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
A tank of gas... then run it thru your injectors!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 AM
djg

I belatedly found this thread showing Givi vs SW Motech.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=73177
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode