How does everyone estimate fuel range? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2015, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How does everyone estimate fuel range?

The first sixth of a tank is variable. I just usually fill until it stops near the bottom of the gas fill tube. I guess you could take the mileage difference when the first sixth (gas indicator) disappears (the variable sixth of tank measure) and the mileage when the 4th sixth disappears, take the difference, and double it for the tank range; and divide by 3 for the last sixth's mileage estimate.

That is kind of difficult though, but could be done with 2 tripometers (I usually use my 2nd tripometer for oil change intervals though.) The PO just waited until the last sixth showed and filled up. I was wondering how everyone figured their range out, because you do not want to ruin your fuel injectors by running out of gas. And if you could save going to the gas station several times a month, it would be time-smart: but mildly risky.

I have figured I've got a range of around 160 miles, but I get nervous and fill up around 110 on the tripometer. I just wanted an experienced methodology from experts here to help me reduce my trips to the gas station, and reliably keep from running dry. I never had a gas gage this nice before, so I was wondering how to best take advantage of the technology.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 02:15 AM

I honestly don't even worry about it unless the final bar starts blinking. I treat it like a petcock.

The simplest way to estimate range is to calculate your average mpg, top the tank of, and set one trip odo. Your methodology of estimating precise range for each bar of the gauge seems really unnecessary.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
as i recall from last season i was getting around 40-45 mpg and with the v haveing a 5 gallon tank that should be 200-225 miles to a tank.... personally i like to keep my tanks full because i never know when i will have money to fill it up again and i dont wanna run out of gas

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 AM

Roughly 35 miles per bar.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 AM

I use fuelly.com. I'll fill up my tank set the odometer and then next time I fill up I'll fill it right up and reset the odometer and log the data on the website. Pretty useful
Old 04-08-2015, 07:19 AM

I use the trip meter. 220 miles and I stop at the next fuel stop. I'm not out west and fuel is about as common as gun stores where I live. Only thing more plentiful than gun stores and gas stations would be churches

I'm no diplomat
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Down here it is payday and car title loan rip-off shops.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Man, I think you are way over thinking it.

Most people have a consistent riding "style." They ride hard (with a lot of throttle action) or they ride easy. Your MPG is influenced by your riding "style." And since our individual "style" is consistent, I'd suggest your MPG will also be consistent.

Top the tank, zero one of your trip odometers, at about 3/4 tank (as indicated by your fuel bars,) fill up. Do the math. There's your MPG. And, you've still got 1/4 tank. Since you know the tank holds 5 gallons, when you top off you'll know how much fuel was still in the tank - based on the fuel bars indicating 1/4 tank remaining.

When you fill up always try and have the bike at the same kick stand angle. If the bike is leaning alot - or sitting almost straight up - that could affect how much fuel it takes to top off and thus affect the numbers used to calculate MPG.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:02 AM

I seem to be averaging about 45 mpg and I gas up at about 190 miles per tank. I have yet to see the flashing bar which would, for me, indicate about 40 miles to empty. 220 miles per tank would be great, but the pucker factor kicks in.....
Old 04-08-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Wow! Great survey. Thanks Guys!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM

I've tracked my mileage/range since I've had the bike. I think the lowest mpg I've gotten is 36, but I average about 45. I figure I'm okay as long as I fill up by 175-180 miles a tank around town. If I'm long-hauling it, I'll wait until 200+.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:16 PM

I added one tooth to the front sprocket. I consistently get 52-54 mpg, so that's about 265 miles per tank (or 250 miles indicated on my odometer, as it reads 6% low due to the larger front sprocket). If I ride hard in windy 40 degree F weather, my mpg suffers 10-20% though.

I normally just wait until the gas gage starts flashing, and then fuel up within 20 miles or so, mainly because the flashing is very annoying to me. I have ridden my V for seven summers now (2008-2014, 27,000 miles), and I have never run out of fuel. Seems to work for me.

Last edited by trialsguy; 04-08-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Garage
Have an excell sheet in which I enter all my data

Amount of fuel, milage at said date, amount paid for that liquid pleausure and so on

At the top of the sheet, it add's all the litre put in so far, all the Km to date and then, gives me the average consumption to date
Also, it gives me the milage of the last 10 fill up

I don't clean my bike often, and am a bit lazy about other thing's, but I'm pretty anal about that fuel consumption, since it gives me an indication of the state of the engine/bike in general

A suffering bike will see it's consumption decline and will give me a heads up on service and all

LOP
Old 04-08-2015, 11:27 PM

I use the Gas Cubby app. It keeps up with all my service and gas mileage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 04-09-2015, 01:41 AM

Garage
I get around 400 km to a tank, I use the fuel gauge and reset the trip meter when I fuel up and use www.fuely.com to track my usage.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
as i recall from last season i was getting around 40-45 mpg and with the v haveing a 5 gallon tank that should be 200-225 miles to a tank.... personally i like to keep my tanks full because i never know when i will have money to fill it up again and i dont wanna run out of gas
Here in the southeast, it is necessary to put the bike away with a full tank. Humidity and metal means a lot of condensation. Don't want any humid air in the tank when parked overnight.

The Versys has more range than I usually tolerate between stops. Always travel with someone who has less range and you never have to worry about when to stop for fuel.

My Versys Travels:

Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just fill up when it needs fuel. If it's an area where fuel stops are scarce, then fill up at every opportunity. I admit that I have no earthly idea about the range or MPG of this bike.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:00 AM

I never really did the math. I have seen what other people here get for mileage, and think huh about 40 mpg...that aint bad. If the bike is below half and I am going for a ride I will fill up. Otherwise normal commuting and short blasts I don't worry unless I am down to the last fuel "nugget". That in theory should give me about 30 miles or so. Where I live you are never 30 miles from a gas station.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 AM

@Kawdawg, Way overcomplicated. I average 45 MPG when not doing just city riding in San Francisco with all of the hills...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 PM

I average 45mpg normally. I know if I really take off fast every time from a stop and then cruise at 55-65 on the back roads 45 is normal. Interstate at 70-75 mph I get 40-41mpg. I have been averaging this for a year.

I don't even think about it anymore. I top it off before I park it after every ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in