Got Rid of my Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got Rid of my Versys

I got rid of my Versys yesterday. I have had it for 2.5 years and just never "connected" with it.

On paper it was the perfect bike for me. In real life, not so much.

I have had a few motorcycles in my life and one scooter. I think I had more fun on the scooter than anything else I have owned. The Yamaha Zuma 125 that I had before my Versys was just a little too small to be my only ride though.

So I was able to make an even trade. My 2011 Versys with 11,500 miles on it for a 2012 Suzuki Burgman with 375 miles on it.

The trade took place in Asheville, NC about 1 mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. I figured there was no better place to have one last ride on my old bike and my first ride on my new bike.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

2011 Kawasaki Versys

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:56 AM

That looks fun and uncomplicated

I'm no diplomat
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM

Too bad about the V, but good luck with the new wheels. looks like a fun bike. Looks totally opposite.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

The Burgman really surprised me. It definitely has less power than the Versys but still has plenty.

I got to the place about an hour early yesterday. It was only about a mile from the parkway. I figured one last good right would be fun. The Speed limit is 45. On the Versys that felt like a good comfortable pace.

Then an hour later I was riding the same stretch of the Parkway on the Burgman. A bike that I had never ridden before. On it, 55 felt like a comfortable pace.

10 mph faster.

I guess the low center of gravity helps me feel more confident.

Who knows. I enjoyed my time on the Versys but I am happy with the change.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:01 PM

I have a friend that rides one of those. Absolutely the last person I would ever expect to see on a scooter but he loves it. Good luck with it and have fun.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:05 PM

Good luck.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 PM

Good luck with the Burgman, hope it's what you are looking for.

As someone with a Versys, a small scooter (Buddy 150) and a large scooter (Piaggio MP3 500) in the garage I can relate somewhat. Nothing puts a smile on my face more than the Buddy 150. Around town it is a blast. The large scooter however is just heavy, under powered with crap suspension. Never did bond with that, but I did with the Versys. I've never ridden a Burgman but know plenty of owners who love them.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:50 PM

Best of luck with your new 2 wheels.

My brother has one and loves it to pieces. He rode a Harley for many years before acquiring The B.

Two wheelin' is two wheelin'. Just ride it like you stole it.

Happy trails with your new steed.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
...10 mph faster.

I know the feeling. Scooters are a bit easier to ride, so at road speed they really can be more confidence inspiring. Their potential is obviously lower from a pure performance viewpoint, but I doubt many people really think they are using their motorcycles to their highest potential, so ride what makes you smile the biggest. Safe ride man, enjoy it!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the well wishes.

My wife and kids think that I am nuts for getting rid of the motorcycle and getting a scooter.

2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Good luck w/ your new direction!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
The Burgman really surprised me. It definitely has less power than the Versys but still has plenty.

I got to the place about an hour early yesterday. It was only about a mile from the parkway. I figured one last good right would be fun. The Speed limit is 45. On the Versys that felt like a good comfortable pace.

Then an hour later I was riding the same stretch of the Parkway on the Burgman. A bike that I had never ridden before. On it, 55 felt like a comfortable pace.

10 mph faster.

My father in law had one after his hips were too bad to swing over a motorcycle. He loved it. Kept it until he got terminally ill then sold it. The guy he sold it to contacted him afterward to tell him how much he liked it.

I rode it and couldn't get used to how unstable it felt planted (I use the term very loosely) in a corner with those tiny wheels. I suppose in time I'd get accustomed to it, but I can't say it was love at first ride for me.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:39 PM

Garage
I know a couple of guys that have 1000cc plus bikes and a scooter in the garage. One guys loves it for him & his wife. He recons he can keep up with most bikes through the twisties. Also great for blasting to the shops for stuff. He recovers seat for a living. He re did his, it looks like the most comfortable seat I've ever seen. Enjoy. It the journey that matters, not how you get there.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:36 PM

That's a real big trend in Europe. BMW and all the big motorcycle companies are in on the action. I've had a few motorcycles, mopeds, and small motorcycles: they are all fun.

Just be safe and get it on! It really is more convenient and economical, and I hear they are not bad performers either. I'm glad you got what you want
Suzuki's are good on resale value too. That looks like a good 2nd bike for me also, if I could find one at a decent price - ?? Thanks for the idea!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
There is nothing to grip with your knees. How do you stay in the seat?

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 PM

Maybe it's just me but the scooters have no middle tank or structure for the thighs to grip onto when making turns/cornering. All hand effort (unless it's a long sweeper). They're heavy to push too (for me) but horses for courses - important is that you like it
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Most have probably watched this at one time, but for those that have not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amppGTKWkY
Lol, the scooter can hold a pizza and all Honda's have 8" from seat to foot pegs. That's an unfair competition. The small wheels of the scooter are a Chinese feature for instable handling. Anything less than 17" wheels would be funky for me to ride on. And used Burgman's cost the same as used Vs. 650's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode