when do YOU change engine oil? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
when do YOU change engine oil?

What is a realistic oil change mileage for this bike? The manual says 7,500. The manual also says you shouldn't go over 4,000 rpm... So I take it's recommendations with a grain of salt.

I figured I would just start changing every 3,000 so it would be the same as my car. What are you folks doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:13 PM

Would also like to know

Just picked up my Versys and am wondering the same.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 PM

I do 3,000 to 4,000 miles, I run Synthetic in the Versys and Dino Drippings (Rotella-T) in the KLR. I mainly do it more often in that I think oil is cheaper than motors are. I also change the filter every change and service the air filter every other change on the Versys and every change on the KLR.

After all we are only talking about a couple of QTs here not gals.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I am also curious when I should switch over to synthetic. I had the dealer do initial service at around 600 miles so its got OEM lube in it right now. I'm pushing 3,000 right now and thought I would do the change and go another 3,000 before switching to synthetic. Do I need to wait that long or should I just start buying synthetic now?
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:31 PM

I would change frequently for the first few thousand miles. Otherwise, I do at most 3k between each change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:17 PM

You can never go too wrong by going with the oem shop manual oil recommendations (told to me by many shop mechanics and managers.) If there are any objective justifications for using synthetic oil backed up by controlled orthogonal experiments, I'd like to see them (of course not published by oil companies which invalidates the source.)

At 3000 mile intervals of course :-) - that's just unspoken common sense.

Last edited by kawdog; 04-06-2015 at 10:23 PM.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I change when shifting feels different. Or once a year, whichever comes first.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:42 PM

I do both cars/trucks and my bike at 5000. It's an easier interval to remember (for me) and it's usually less than the manuals.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote-Morado View Post
Oh, I am also curious when I should switch over to synthetic. I had the dealer do initial service at around 600 miles so its got OEM lube in it right now. I'm pushing 3,000 right now and thought I would do the change and go another 3,000 before switching to synthetic. Do I need to wait that long or should I just start buying synthetic now?
Yes, change to synthetic oil now, then replace it every 3000 to 4000 miles.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:24 AM

Using Mobil1 Fully-syn, change them every 6 months along with the filter as I rarely ride. After two years of ownership, I'm only at 5000 mile / 8000 kms.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 AM

I switched to synthetic on the 600 mile service and I've been changing it at 7500 mile intervals.

The 4000rpm thing is for the break in, and Kawasaki uses the same for every bike, 4Krpm on a Vulcan or a ZX-6, they don't care. The maintenance part is bike specific, the intervals are good enough to keep the bikes from failing within warranty, so I figured that if they call for 7500 mile oil changes with dinosaur juice, I'm on the safe side using synthetic. Next weekend I'm doing the 22,500 mile service, it doesn't burn oil in between oil changes, and the sight glass is clean, so there is no sludge build up, but I'll be sure to post pictures of the valve train once I check them at 30,000 miles (if you hear the guys here, with 3,000 mile OCI and 10,000 mile valve adjustment, my bike should have blown up by then).

If you're in the US, or a country where you can have used oil analysis, then have your oil checked and figure out what is the proper interval. 3000 mile changes are a myth from the... 60s? Engines, fuels and oils are not quite the same as they were back then, and even oil companies are against 3,000 mile OCI.

Kawdog, don't bother, I don't care. You keep changing your oil every ride while you forge your own iron brake rotors.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 04-07-2015 at 09:49 AM.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 PM

I do the Versys every 2k which is way overkill but that gives me a good excuse to go over the whole bike while the oil is draining. Do a quick check on air pressure, nuts and bolts, whatever else catches my eye then replace plug and refill.

Probably a waste of oil but coming off race dirt bikes where you change every other ride 2k feels like a long time.

Last edited by kenr74; 04-07-2015 at 01:27 PM.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

It still seems foreign to me.... But I guess I don't have a problem with not having to pay for oil and filters as often if the manufacturer says its ok.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Its not like the Versys holds 12 quarts of oil...change the hell out of it

I'm no diplomat
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
What is a realistic oil change mileage for this bike? The manual says 7,500. The manual also says you shouldn't go over 4,000 rpm... So I take it's recommendations with a grain of salt.

I figured I would just start changing every 3,000 so it would be the same as my car. What are you folks doing?
I use an old "hot rodders" tip - every time the odometer is divisible by 5,000 miles (or 8,000 kms), I change the oil and filter. I use M1 car synth, 15w-50.

Quote:
I would change-over to synth at your 3,000 mile change.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:35 PM

Although I only had my V for 2,500 miles (currently at 16,4XX not brand new), I would change it at 3,000 miles. My previous motorcycle was a 2005 Ninja 250 that I have ridden 40,000 miles with and changed oil at 3,000 intervals. Shell Rotella 5w-40 is always on sell in my area.

Advanced Auto Parts reward program gives you $5 coupon when you spend $30 and you can use that $5 on $10 or over purchases. Rotella sometimes have $5 rebates. $15 for a gallon of Rotella for two oil changes? It doesn't get any better.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I use an old "hot rodders" tip - every time the odometer is divisible by 5,000 miles (or 8,000 kms), I change the oil and filter. I use M1 car synth, 15w-50.

I would change-over to synth at your 3,000 mile change.

You shouldn't use car oil. Their formulation is different from bikes as our clutches are submerged in the same oil and certain addictive (friction modifiers) is needed for wet clutch. Car oil might be too slippery and our clutches might loose the friction needed to function properly.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:52 AM

Wow! Talk about all over the place. Everyone has a different opinion on when to change and what oil to use. I always thought I read synthetic was not good for this bike. I just use Torco T4 motorcycle oil, I have just over 4000 miles on my bike and have changed the oil about 3 three times I think. I have not changed it this winter so I will be doing a 4th oil change sometime in the next 2 months before my heavy summer riding season starts. I ride my bike year round though, never go more than 10 days without riding it.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 01:32 AM

Garage
I go by the book every 6,000 km
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 AM

When all else is said, follow the manufactures suggestion and you'll always be right. They've spent millions building bikes. How much will an online opinion from a stranger be worth if you muck up your bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode