Anyone ever transplant a Used bike into California? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone ever transplant a Used bike into California?

I think Joe brought his blue 2009 Vs. 650 from TX to CA, but not exactly sure.

CA has all these special rules that make most people rather just buy vehicles here instead of hassling with CA DMV. Well, I'd like to bring my 1997 BMW F650 ST for a second vehicle. It's still not as good as a pickup truck, but I'm waiting on a Dodge or Ford midsize pickup to re-enter the US market again before I get another one. I'd like one of those Elio motors 3 wheeler's, but they keep bumping their introduction date every year from 2013 to 2016; so if they ever do introduce it, it may be 10 more years.

Anyway, if anyone has successfully done a vehicle transplant into CA, I'd like some pointers so I can start figuring out how to do this. And then again, I might get one of these $2300 2009 Vs. 650s' for sale here if it is not wrecked,

Last edited by kawdog; 04-05-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:14 PM

I believe folks moving to California are exempt, otherwise 7,500 miles or more or 1976 or earlier.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I believe folks moving to California are exempt, otherwise 7,500 miles or more or 1976 or earlier.
I second that

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yep as long as you have 7500 miles on it its a piece of cake. Check your owners manual to find out where the emissions sticker is. I didn't know where mine was on the Versys and had to come home check manual then go back to the DMV to finish up. They will check the VIN # on the engine and frame. Thats it.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks Guys!

That's one less thing to worry about.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:39 AM

I can't believe it's that difficult to get a bike into CA just due to emissions. I guess up here in New England they don't care too much. I got a sticker on my 650R with the TBR exhaust at a gas station and I asked the guy if it would be an issue, and he said "if I rejected bikes with illegal exhaust I would probably only do 10-15 stickers a year".
If they care that much are they tougher on aftermarket exhaust?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I can't believe it's that difficult to get a bike into CA just due to emissions. I guess up here in New England they don't care too much. I got a sticker on my 650R with the TBR exhaust at a gas station and I asked the guy if it would be an issue, and he said "if I rejected bikes with illegal exhaust I would probably only do 10-15 stickers a year".
If they care that much are they tougher on aftermarket exhaust?

Any bike 2013 and newer, aftermarket exhaust are a no no... Not just the admissions. They don't want people buying vehicles out of state and bringing them home to Cali.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 12:38 PM

Wow...that sucks. Seems like everything is less fun in CA. From bikes to guns all the laws suck huh? So what do you do throw the stock pipe on get a sticker and switch it back when you get home?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
Wow...that sucks. Seems like everything is less fun in CA. From bikes to guns all the laws suck huh? So what do you do throw the stock pipe on get a sticker and switch it back when you get home?

Sounds like a plan.. But I think most the exhaust manufacturer aren't allow to ship here unless its for off road only. But i could be mistaken. Good thing i have friends in other states that i could have it shipped to and then have them send it to me.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:33 PM

Correct, must be stock exhuast unit unless the pipe is stamped with "approived for California use"

It's not to bad living here, once you get used to it. I still manage to fire my weapons and ride my bikes with full enjoyment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode