Used Vs New is Cheaper - Why? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Used Vs New is Cheaper - Why?

So I emailed a dealer while on the hunt for a Versys after running into a nice 2012 Black 650 listed as base model. No bags, nothing added other than some red tape around the wheels and some around the shock. It looks really sweet at 8,000 miles.

As I wait for an answer, I ask this forum the same question... Why would it be listed at 6,199.00? and a new 3mile 2014 green ABS 650 at 5,999.00?

Just wondering if someone could explain if there is something about the base 2012 that I don't know about that would drive up the price.. Is there gold on the inside??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 AM

They are just fishing for a sucker. Lotsa left-overs out there at bargin basement prices. I bought a left-over '12 for $5,800.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm no sucker, but I have to admit it looks pretty sweet. One thing I've noticed is that there aren't many for sale within 100 miles from me with millage that low which is a plus for a pre-owned as I plan to drive it 62 miles a day as my daily commuter..

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
They are just fishing for a sucker. Lotsa left-overs out there at bargin basement prices. I bought a left-over '12 for $5,800.
And btw, it is a leftover and has been sitting on their floor since late, last year. Notice the Xmas wreeths in the background. They had 3 total, red and a blue which had a lot of accessories and both over 40K miles. Those went quick. All had and this one currently does come with a 1 Year warranty.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Maybe Factory rebates

I was told by a dealer last week that there is a $1500 rebate on new 2014 and older models.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I'll report back if with their reply. That would make sense, since they have 4 green ones. I dont mind the color that much, but if I have options, I would not get the KawaGreen.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
gotta think about brake in and all the oil and filters it used and maintenance....... new you have to add all that (plus tax tag blah blah blah) used you change the oil and filter(if your like me that is) give it a good once over (fix/replace anything needed, reg and ride

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Yes, that is true. Just seemed a bit high if the difference was a few hundred vs thousand. The break in would be about 300 miles though, not 8,000, but yes, Ca. state exorbitant taxes and fees suck for all vehicles.

Fortunately and Unfortunately, I may have gotten suckered in to getting the 2014 if it wasn't green....

Though, this green monster looks nice with it's minor mods:

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

AND... a response was received and there is a current factory promotion of upto $1,250.00 off for all NEW, unregistered 2011-2013 & 2014 ABS models.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Garage
I was thinking, the red tape is not that expensive ($10 at cycle gear with install tool), But its the Labor that gets you. Guy must have taken his time to put it on Perfectly. Somewhere in area for 40 hours or so. Otherwise the bike should be around 4k.

I bought mine (Red '08) off craigslist (use searchtempest to get surrounding areas from craigslist). Got it with 33l side and tail bags, extra tall wind screen all for 4k. It had 22k miles. Original owner did long distance highway trips on it. He replaced stator at 17k. I now have around 36k on it. Most was added at 50 a day commuting.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:58 PM

And don't forget the $3,000 dealer markup, and more expenses to offset all current deals. I had Veteran's, year end, and another discount for a total estimate price of $5,000 out the door. But the best I could get (OUT-THE-DOOR PRICE) was $7600 for a 2013 old new bike from a dealer: most were $8k or more for a 2014 (California market prices) in December 2014.

The best REAL out the door is as new as you can get used bike. I got a 2012, 4 mos old since bought new with 6900 miles (from a hot French woman who worked at Kawasaki marketing.) It WAS brand new. 2012's are as nice as any Vs. (or better.) $5150, and I paid $400 for a CA tag/title transfer. The Pearl Gold Metal-flake paint always gets complements and gazes from anyone who sees it.

Look around on Craigslist, it may be worth the drive. Kawasaki dealers in CA anyway, are not giving any (out the door) deals. And I did not want abs brakes anyway: I'll get cast steel disks and organic pads later to improve my brakes. My bike rocks, uses minimal oil, and is getting the royal treatment. All Vs. can be made better: this site has many immaculate machines in every year model.

Don't go off of what "Dealers say": they say "bs." Just get as new as you can used. They ask a lot more than they will take, because no one buys above the Kelly blue book (KBB) anyway - your upper limit, PERIOD no matter what the options are (remember, you did not want THOSE options anyway, and they can take them off if they have the original oem equipment ;-) I got mine at KBB after they wanted $5550 originally. I probably could have got it for less, but I wanted it and I did not have time to bs. It was a good deal for both of us.

Good luck, ymmv.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 PM

Go with the new 2014 green one with ABS! I am not really sure why it is such a tough decision? Always go new if the price is the same or just a little more, you can break it in your way, you know the history of the bike, and you can add what you want. The Kawi green you are showing above is not a 2014, the 2014 Kawi green also has a lot of black and the bike looks and rides great!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 PM

I would never buy a used bike from a dealer. The dealers have way to much over head and are ver stingy. My advice would be to buy a new left over or wait until you a nice used one on CL. Sometimes you have to be patient to find what you are looking for. It took me 13 months to find the perfect 2005 Honda RVT1000R (RC51). BTW I paid $6,800 old for my brand new 2013, in November of 2014.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:21 AM

Cycletrader is your best friend. Do nation wide searches to get an understanding of what is currently being charged. Cross reference with Ebay (sometimes nothing and then all of a sudden choices) and Craigslist (do a search and switch locations within a reasonable distance to you, easy to do with the upper left hand drop down menu once you search). A leftover price can either include freight or prep or not depending on how bad they want to get it off the floor. Depending on where you live winter is also your friend (only in terms of getting a deal, more snow yesterday ahhhhhhhhhh). I live in NJ but drove to PA for a brand new 2014 for $5,799 out the door (freight and prep included or waived however you look at it) in PA and then taxes and tags paid in NJ at registration. This method required me to load it in my van and drive it home. Only downside is spending to much money and time obsessively searching for farkles in lieu of actually riding because of this damn relentless winter!

Last edited by NJmongrel; 03-06-2015 at 04:29 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:56 AM

I just bought my '12 gold and black brand new for $4911 out the door but unfortunately all the money saved in purchasing has been blown with all these stupid farkles that seem to be mandatory. Money well spent and love it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by op1kanobi View Post
So I emailed a dealer while on the hunt for a Versys after running into a nice 2012 Black 650 listed as base model. No bags, nothing added other than some red tape around the wheels and some around the shock. It looks really sweet at 8,000 miles.

As I wait for an answer, I ask this forum the same question... Why would it be listed at 6,199.00? and a new 3mile 2014 green ABS 650 at 5,999.00?

Just wondering if someone could explain if there is something about the base 2012 that I don't know about that would drive up the price.. Is there gold on the inside??
Used is always cheaper for obvious reasons if you pay a fair price. That said there are also lots of people out their who have no idea what their used bike is worth or somehow think it has appreciated in value. Usually those people list for 6 months with limited response and then sell for cheap out of frustration.

A fair price for the 2012 is in the range of $4000-5000 US depending on condition, location and accessories. The new leftover 2014 will be more when you add in dealer charges but will have ABS which is a very useful safety feature.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-06-2015 at 05:09 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely not in a hurry. It's just that point of anxiousness to get into owning one and riding it.

Unfortunately, financiing is my only way into one unless I save for a year. It would be my only mode of transportation and I don't live off of credit, so I can handle a dealer loan as long as I find a fair price. I'll definitely will keep looking.

Thanks.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely not in a hurry. It's just that point of anxiousness to get into owning one and riding it.

Unfortunately, financiing is my only way into one unless I save for a year. It would be my only mode of transportation and I don't live off of credit, so I can handle a dealer loan as long as I find a fair price. I'll definitely will keep looking.

Thanks.
Been there, done that: you are absolutely correct. Find the best dealer possible to work with (the highest volume dealer.)

Joe or Weljo has some connections and may could help you if you live in CA. He is going to get a Vs 1000, so maybe you could both get a package deal savings. He is a salesman and knows how to play the game.

Good luck! I've gotten a new Kaw and a couple of new BMW's like that. It's not the cheapest way, but it works and that's all you care about now. Sorry I forgot about the financing advantage of dealers.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:30 AM

Garage
If you are buying used I found finacing to be much better through the bank than a dealer. On new bikes the dealer could work some decent deals thiugh.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thanks.

Heres who most of the dealers use. Bypass the dealer and go straight to the source....https://www.sheffieldfinancial.com

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode