Hi folks. This looks like a nice forum. This is my first post.
I'm only in my second year of riding, having started late. I began on the wonderful Ninja 250, then this Winter I bought my dream bike, an FZ6.
While there's much to like about the FZ6, I find myself critical of it in many ways. I have an recurring urge to find something different - but what?
Some of the issues I have with the FZ6 are:
- A high center of gravity, coupled with a high seat, (and a binary clutch,) makes stopping and low speed maneuvering difficult. I'm 5'-10", 190#, with a 32" inseam.
- The engine is a detuned R6 engine, but it's still a 14k screamer. Yes, it really roars north of 9k, but I rarely ride that way.
- The I-4 engine is buzzy. This was a real problem at first, but at 4k miles about 60% of the buzziness is gone, thank God. But still the engine lacks the nice smooth feel to it that the 250R had. With earplugs the 250 sounded like a small Learjet; all I could hear was the whir of the gearbox. It was ethereal, meditative. The FZ6 grinds away, and when I'm cognizant of it it's annoying.
- The stock lighting sucked. I've since hooked up the second low beam, and now it's not too bad. Next step would be an HID-projector retrofit, but first I need to decide to keep the bike.
- To my surprise, the FZ is no better, and maybe worse, than the baby ninja regarding wind turbulence, even with a Puig racing screen, and despite being 33% heavier. This is an important issue for me as I'm on the highway frequently.
On the Versys side, I've never ridden one but my observations are:
- Also high seat, but CoG is low.
- I like the looks - except for the face. And red is not my color. (My fz is blue and I like its black frame).
- I'm concerned about only having one low beam. My night vision is not the best and I want to ride at night. Is the low beam adequate? Is an HID-projector conversion feasible?
- Doesn't seem to be much of a used Versys market. I suppose they're in demand.
I've also looked at the Ducati Multistrada, which the Versys seems to be inspired by. A lot to like there, but some real caveats as well, such as cost of upkeep and perhaps fuel economy. I doubt I'm ready for a liter bike and I think I'll stay away from there for now.
I'm currently getting a bit north of 50 mpg on the fz, average riding. I suppose the Versys is comparable. More is better here.
Any thoughts on these issues would be appreciated!