I'm so confused... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm so confused...

I made the mistake of going and looking at a 1000 LT today. I already have a deposit on a 650 LT which I'm waiting on. I asked my dealer for a price on the 1000 and he made me a good deal on it so I decided to go look at it. It is quite a bit bigger than the 650 and my favorite thing about it is the ergos fit me a little better. It doesn't feel quite as compact as the 650 (duh, I know).

The pros to the big bike IMO are in no particular order: ergos, traction control (although, not needed on the 650 so not a fair comparison?), center stand, better touring bike
Cons: 90 minimum octane, appetite for rear tires, insurance, higher price

Pros to the 650: price, 87 minimum octane, insurance, lighter, better sport bike (in the twisties, anyway)
Cons: no center stand, more compact ergos (can probably fixed with an aftermarket seat for $450 - yikes) - I need a little more leg room

So, I have some serious thinking to do. I like both. Decisions, decisions. First world problem, I know...

2015 Versys 1000 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Well since i grew up in the DFW area i would take the 1000 over the 650. Bigger engine to eat up the long straight roads. More weight to keep it planted with strong winds which you get. If premium is 20 cents higher it only cost you One Dollar a tank more. My insurance on the FJR was only $11.00 a year more. The tires on my FJR outlast my tires on my V650. The money i spent to make my V650 comfortable the V1000 would have been cheaper.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-28-2015 at 10:16 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I live in North Texas and I loathe straight roads. For the record. We always head southwest on our Sunday rides. FM roads only.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:19 AM

Loving my thou ..FTW

Ian
Growing Older is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Dont do this to me... you people are a bad influence.
Im off my learners (provisionals) in 18 days... dont tempt me with a test ride of a V1K!!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 06:51 AM

I love my 650 & the new ones are even sweeter.

That being said, the V1000 is only 75 pounds heavier and the seat height is basically the same. No doubt for higher speed cruising, it will be a great bike.
The folks I know who have been riding them the last few months constantly rave about them.

For my area the 650 is a wonderful bike as it loves the twisties but the times I have to hit the interstate it's weight (or lack of) does lead it to be push around some by the wind and tractor-trailers.

I'm looking forward to spending time next week on the V1000, if it fits me & momma I may pull the trigger on one........time will tell.

The initial cost difference may be a downer for some riders, the 650LT is a bargain.

Good luck with your decision,
Dan

Last edited by oldkawboy; 03-01-2015 at 07:00 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Oh, and sorry for the title of this thread. That was the default title using the app and I didn't realize ANNOUNCEMENT was going to be included.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:13 AM

Get a 650 for fun and a C-14 for the road.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
MY V650s will cruise at as high a speed as I need, and so far can carry a passenger as well when necessary, plus they are "UP" for a little off-road every now-and-then....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Though both appear to be very good machines, my choice would be the 650 LT. At my stage in life (just recently became 70) even though in good health I'm not interested in dealing with any more weight than necessary. My Gen 1 Versys is almost perfect for me and my riding style. Still like to go fast but don't scrape hard bits much any longer. Like to sit upright behind a decent windscreen but don't want to muscle around more weight for that benefit. This twin does all that I want it to do, burns "regular" fuel, returns good mileage and doesn't cost a bundle to insure (with Progressive for USAA members).

Then again, if I could get a killer deal on a V1000 I'd probably jump on it. But I'd still keep my Gen 1 Versys.

What I'd really like is a 3 cylinder 850 cc Versys (not the FZ or FJ even if the fuel mapping eventually gets sorted).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 03-01-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Though both appear to be very good machines, my choice would be the 650 LT. At my stage in life (just recently became 70) even though in good health I'm not interested in dealing with any more weight than necessary. My Gen 1 Versys is almost perfect for me and my riding style. Still like to go fast but don't scrape hard bits much any longer. Like to sit upright behind a decent windscreen but don't want to muscle around more weight for that benefit. This twin does all that I want it to do, burns "regular" fuel, returns good mileage and doesn't cost a bundle to insure (with Progressive for USAA members).

Then again, if I could get a killer deal on a V1000 I'd probably jump on it. But I'd still keep my Gen 1 Versys.

What I'd really like is a 3 cylinder 850 cc Versys (not the FZ or FJ even if the fuel mapping eventually gets sorted).
I'm 95% sure I'm going with the 650 LT as originally planned. The fun factor seems higher with that bike and it can do just about everything I'm looking for. I do like the seat better on the 1000 than the 650 probably due to the 1000 being wider at the tank due to the 4-cylinder vs twin. I have Progressive/USAA, as well and the 1000 is about $200 more a year. So, not bad.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:11 AM

I got to see and sit on a V1K last week. To be blunt, I want one. I've had a 650 Versys. I really enjoyed it but when the wife decided she wanted to ride with me it was not quite enough bike. I think the V1K will be perfect.

Cliff
FPD Ret, USN Ret.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:04 AM

You guys have got this one figured out. I just spent a week-plus on the 1000 and have been riding the 650 since then--did a 420-mile day on the 650 just for fun.

These bikes have very different personalities. The 1000 is smooth, stable, fast and soft. If it had slightly better aerodynamics, it would probably be my choice for long-distance touring over the Connie.

But the 1000 isn't the kind of pure sporty fun the 650 is. It seems more serious, more grown up where the 650 is a well-mannered bad boy--if you'll pardon me giving bikes a personality. The 1000 would definitely be my choice if my wife wanted to ride with me for any kind of distances but the 650 isn't bad; just a bit cramped and short on power for two-up with a mess of stuff in the bags.

But I also know that for any of the shorter solo rides I would regret not being on the 650. The 650 punches so far above its weight it's a bit crazy. The new one is a big improvement over the old, in my opinion, and the LT version is a steal.

Obviously, there's no right answer. But, for me, I'd own the 650 and allow my lovely wife to be slightly less comfortable for those few times she rides with me instead of riding her own bike.

Just one man's opinion, of course...

Marc
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4017 View Post
I got to see and sit on a V1K last week. To be blunt, I want one. I've had a 650 Versys. I really enjoyed it but when the wife decided she wanted to ride with me it was not quite enough bike. I think the V1K will be perfect.
Solved the "problem" of my wife wanting to ride with me without having to give up my Gen 1 Versys. She wanted a Honda CTX700 . . . and now she has one.

She loves it; she's happy and that means we're all happy.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook View Post
...Obviously, there's no right answer. But, for me, I'd own the 650 and allow my lovely wife to be slightly less comfortable for those few times she rides with me instead of riding her own bike.

Just one man's opinion, of course...

Marc
Thanks for your feedback, Marc. Along w/ the write-up in the April issue - what MORE could one want...?

"Quietly Magnificent."

'Bout says it ALL....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I prefer the character and low end torque of twins. It is amazing how tame the concours feels, even when it is propelling you to illegal speeds in first gear.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 PM
MTS

My two cents "Go Big"!!!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm going with the 650.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode