Can't decide between Versys or KLR 650. Sell me. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can't decide between Versys or KLR 650. Sell me.

Spent last week in Montana on my brother-in-laws Magna 750. Put more miles in a week then he has in a couple of years and fell in LOVE with being on a bike. I think I have narrowed it down to a Verseys or KLR 650. I live in Austin and most of my time will be on pavement. This will be my first "real" bike. Help convince me. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Unless you plan on doing a bit of off roading, and these are your only two choices, the Versys is the way to go. There are quiet a few nice roads around the Austin area (I'm assuming you mean Austin, Tx). The Versys is light & agile. Its fun in the twisties, & still comfortable when just cruising.

Have you visited these guys??

http://www.twtex.com/?

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for th feed back and site link. I was talking about Austin TX. (Go Spurs)
Did you buy yours here in Texas? I've started looking in Austin and have heard good things about a place out of Irving but have not looked in S.A.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I bought it at Universal City Kawasaki. Its on Pat Booker road just a few blocks down from Randolph AFB. Woods Cycle in New Braunfels had them, as well as Alamo Cycleplex. Tell them you're looking at a Vee-strom 650 and the Versys, but haven't made up your mind yet. That's how I got to test ride the Versys.

http://www.kawasakiuniversalcity.com/

http://www.alamocycleplex.com/

http://woodscyclecountry.com/

Oh, and welcome aboard!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 PM

i traded my klr 650 in for a versys. way smoother and way better ride. much faster and a blast to ride.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:35 PM
rbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkler man View Post
i traded my klr 650 in for a versys. way smoother and way better ride. much faster and a blast to ride.

ditto, the Versys has all the snort and upright seating position of the KLR, but much much nicer on the highway and much faster.

RBL

07 Versys, orange.
givi e21's & pelican 1550
warm&safe dual heattroller
fender extender (unknown brand)
rear hugger
madstad bracket
vario windscreen
handguards (dr650?)
klr front and rear signals
hb crashbars
flatfoot
lowering pegs
ctech fuse panel
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I currently own both.. '05 KLR (15k miles) and Versys (850 miles). The brochure says they both have the same purpose in life (dual-sport/adventure bike). That's quite a stretch....

KLR 650... Rock solid, dependable, cheap and easy to work on, cheap parts, huge aftermarket, huge level of peer support, plenty of power/torque for the majority of riders, plenty of space for passenger or luggage, handles better than you think it would, very roomy cockpit, upright seating, seat is OK, mileage is around 50mpg, excellent range, will go pretty much anywhere a sane person wants to go and back.... fun 'do everything good nothing great' ride

BUT... she's top heavy, long reach to ground, they say it'll do 100 mph but it lacks guts above about 70 mph, 50/50 tires howl on the road, that big thumper vibration (not bad really), 20 year old tech, feels very busy above 60 mph, 5 speed tranny (6th would smooth out the hwy busy-ness, crosswinds aren't fun. low watt output for accs., brakes suck but you get used to them, very heavy for real off-road.. works but will wear you out.

Versys... Put a bag over her head and she's gorgeous..LOL, very smooth and peppy motor, 6 speeds.. effortless 70-80 cruise, modern fuel injection, good wind protection, great lights, upright seating, very nimble, good brakes, 50 mpg, very minor vibration and buzzing issues, peer support is decent and growing,

BUT... the seat... damn the seat, reach to the pegs is a little short if you're getting old and have been on a KLR for the last 15k miles, aftermarket is slim but growing, off-road... no way, graded dirt and gravel... ok if that floats your boat, but after riding the KLR, the Versys suspension is out of its element. Well......... can't think of anything else.

The '08 KLR fixed some of the faults in the earlier model.. better brakes, smoother motor, better wind protection, better forks.

Versys is a much better road bike with great handling, easy to handle power, great lights... sucky seat, and limited off-pavement capability. The KLR is less refined on the road, but is truly capable off-road. If you want to go fast, stop fast, turn fast and don't have any real urge to adventure off the beaten path, the versys is hard to beat. If you want a good all-around bike, and like to get muddy now and again, the KLR is a fine mount.

hope that helps

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
PS.. No matter which one you buy, you're gonna second guess yourself and wonder if you made the right choice. Don't look back, just ride the snot out of the final winner and be happy. The irony of having a choice is that you don't enjoy the chosen as much because you wonder what you missed by not choosing the other candidate... kinda like choosing between two women, not that I have ever been graced with that dilemma.. LMAO

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 10:14 PM

I've owned both, and suggest you carefully consider how you are really going to use the bike. If you are going to do a considerable amount of off road riding, the KLR might be the ticket. For predominantly road based riding with some occasional gravel, the Versys is a far better choice. I think your ultimate satisfaction will be based on how honestly and accurately you asses the uage in advance.

Regards,
Wardo
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:54 AM

I did the Adventure touring thing and owned a BMW F650GS before the Versys and would think it would be somewhat close to the KLR650. I don't go off road much (if I want to ride in the dirt, I'll take a dirtbike out) and found myself really getting into Supermoto. I could only afford one bike after selling my BMW and the Versys fit the bill perfectly.

After riding this bike I don't even look back second guessing. It's got way better power than the 650 single, better brakes and a more sport oriented suspension. The BMW was a good bike, it just wasn't as good as the Versys is at filling my needs. I absolutely love it and unless you are going to be doing off road adventuring, I can say that I don't think you will ever second guess your choice with the Versys.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! These comments are great.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abramsgunner View Post
BUT... the seat... damn the seat, reach to the pegs is a little short if you're getting old and have been on a KLR for the last 15k miles

Yup. I'm contemplating buying a Versys right now, and based on my height (6' 11"!) I'm really wrestling with the seat/pegs situation.

On Saturday I sat on the Versys and tried to work it. After many minutes, I walked over to the '08 KLR and sat down. Very, very comfy. Too bad I don't like the looks of the KLR (and have no need for off-roading).
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:45 AM

I haven't had the pleasure of riding the V, but have a 2005 KLR650. I actually pretty much do all street miles on the KLR.I'm 54 years old, 5'10" and about 170.Have been riding for about 45 years.I find the KLR to be at least as comfortable as the very best of the 22 motorcycles I've owned.All were street legal.About half were dual sports.The KLR is in the top 2 or 3.All controls,footpegs etc are positioned perfect for me.I am easily getting 56-59.5 miles per US gallon, and the huge tank is a great feature.I commute rain or shine here in western Wa. State every work day.Mine has been totally reliable.Its also 100% stock.This is the best starting motorcycle I have ever owned, summer or winter.It fires right up cold, and can be ridden away immediately with the choke fully opened.None of the sputtering,and coughing you get with many bikes caused by lean jetting. I prefer the pre-2008 models, as I think they are so ugly that they look great. I don't stress over washing it all the time either.
I'm sure the Versy is a "better" street bike, but the KLR is no slouch.Want to talk cornering clearance? Try scraping anything on a KLR650. I don't do any two up riding anymore-just solo.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 AM

Apples vs Oranges.

It was the '08 KLR that got me looking at the Versys! I've never ridden a KLR, so I'll just say this; Plan on riding any dirt? KLR. All street? Versys.

I own a plated TE450 for the dirt.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM

The V rocks...so fun to ride twisties with. Just do not do the sprocket mod you see people talking about on this site. It ruins the bike IMHO.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 AM

KLR or V

I have owned 23 bikes in the past and a KLR was one. I currently have a V with 560 mi. So far I believe the V will do almost everything better that the KLR, and I loved the KLR. Unless you are wanting to do dirt roads 75% of the time I believe the V will be a better bike. I have taken the V on local fire roads and even some two track jeep trails and as long as the trail is not to rutted the V will do just fine. I use to have a Ducati Elefant E900 for god sake try wrestling that in the dirt. The Versys will take me everywhere I want to go in comfort, style, and at a pace and agility that will surprise most sport bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode