Upcoming trip from PA to FL - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Upcoming trip from PA to FL

I find myself unemployed for a few weeks, I think I'm going to take advantage of this time and go on a trip to the Gulf Coast of FL to visit my father. I'm also going to trailer the Versys down and ride around FL for a couple of days while I'm down there. This is a spur of the moment idea, last week I didn't know I was going to have this opportunity. Yesterday, in the snow, I spent about an hour outside chipping away at the 500lbs block of frozen mulch I left on my trailer last fall so I could mount my chock. Fortunately it's finally above freezing today, hopefully the frozen mulch I couldn't chip off the trailer bed will melt today.
This will be the first trip I've taken without my wife in about 16 years, it's going to be weird but I'm looking forward to not having to worry about what another person wants to do. I'm also not going to stay in crappy hotels (I've come to hate hotels), the travelling nights will be spent sleeping in my truck bed.

Any suggestions on good day rides originating around Hudson FL? My dad has ridden for years (he no longer rides) so he will probably have some good suggestions. I think I'll see if I can pick up a good GPS and mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Haven't been to FL since 1989 but if you get close to Naples and like Ribs & Key Lime Pie you need to go here..http://michelbobs.com

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 PM

I dont know how much time you will have but March Moto Madness is March 26-29th. In Tellico Plains, TN. Its arguable THE BEST riding in the SE United states. Check it out.
http://marchmotomadness.com/

I'm no diplomat

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 AM

Safe journey, Ray H - Florida is sort of a reverse Dragon, 11 turns in 318 miles. But the weather is generally better than it is in southwestern Pennsylvania. Face it, you're spoiled.

That said, Motorcycle Roads contributors offer these near Hudson.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/11...e-Gardens.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/16...the-Woods.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/15...ollow-Run.html

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 AM

From Jacksonville but not much great riding there. Stay away Far FAR AWAY from Mickey World!

LotS of good seafood places and BAR-B-Q places and some not so good ones as well.

I was down At Christmas the just try and hit Atlanta early and blow right through there At rush hour...park it.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
Safe journey, Ray H - Florida is sort of a reverse Dragon, 11 turns in 318 miles. But the weather is generally better than it is in southwestern Pennsylvania. Face it, you're spoiled.

That said, Motorcycle Roads contributors offer these near Hudson.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/11...e-Gardens.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/16...the-Woods.html

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/15...ollow-Run.html
Thanks, I think I've ridden the Sleep Hollow route, or something similar. I few years ago I went for a ride with my dad, he took us by the Bellamy Brothers ranch and a Nascar driver's ranch ( I don't recall which driver).
I try to get to FL to see my dad once every couple of years, I missed it last xmas break. I just talked to him last night, he said they are expecting good warm weather next week.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
From Jacksonville but not much great riding there. Stay away Far FAR AWAY from Mickey World!

LotS of good seafood places and BAR-B-Q places and some not so good ones as well.

I was down At Christmas the just try and hit Atlanta early and blow right through there At rush hour...park it.
I'm going to avoid ATL all together and go down I-95. Last time we went down we came back through ATL. We hit it at about 5PM, we sat in traffic for over an hour.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
I dont know how much time you will have but March Moto Madness is March 26-29th. In Tellico Plains, TN. Its arguable THE BEST riding in the SE United states. Check it out.
http://marchmotomadness.com/
I'll miss it. My new job starts on the 14th so I'll be coming back on the 11th and 12th.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 AM

Hey Ray H - If you're interested in history and good food, check out Columbia, Florida's oldest restaurant (1905), 2117 East 7th Ave., Ybor City (Tampa), FL 33605; (813) 248-4961. Have dined at the Columbia restaurant in St. Augustine; quite nice.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
Hey Ray H - If you're interested in history and good food, check out Columbia, Florida's oldest restaurant (1905), 2117 East 7th Ave., Ybor City (Tampa), FL 33605; (813) 248-4961. Have dined at the Columbia restaurant in St. Augustine; quite nice.
I'll probably steer away from Tampa but I was considering a day trip to St. Augustine. St. Augustine is very rich in history.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM

Hit up Bono's Bar-B-Q on Atlantic Blvd in Atlantis beach (Jacksonville beaches) Best Bar-B-Q in the world to me! Or go on line and they have a few places around now, They started up in (I think) 1949 and are Da Bomb! All you have to do is ride up A1A for St Augustine until it makes you turn left and about 5-7 blocks on the left in front of the shopping center.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

If I go to all of the restaurants and BBQ joints mentioned, I'll need a bigger motorcycle to haul my fat ass around.

I used to ride with a group around here. All they did was go from food joint to food joint. Find a nice big buffet breakfast somewhere, after breakfast they would stop at another joint for a brunch, then on to another place for a big lunch, then stop somewhere for ice cream, then another place for a huge dinner, then someplace on the way home for hot wings.
By the time we made it back home I felt like crap with a 10lbs lump of food in my gut. I don't ride with groups anymore. My digestive system isn't what it used to be, I get what I refer to as a "food hangover" which means if I eat a lot I'm pretty much sick and worthless for a day of two afterward.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM

St. Augustine is a nice destination. Bikers hang at Scarlett Ohara's. I'd go up thru Crystal River Take a detour onto Ozello Trail or Chassahowitzka Wildlife Refuge (forest roads) and start heading east by Ocala and go thru Ocala National Forest or go further north - north of Gainesville and then head east. Do no go thru Gainesville!

Or, head southeast and ride thru the Everglades. Be careful in there. Some very rough people. Exotic scenery.

There's always the Florida Keys but that's big haul and would involve lots of traffic. Pretty though.

Panhandle is nice too. Go along the water out towards Pensacola.

Good luck.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
St. Augustine is a nice destination. Bikers hang at Scarlett Ohara's. I'd go up thru Crystal River Take a detour onto Ozello Trail or Chassahowitzka Wildlife Refuge (forest roads) and start heading east by Ocala and go thru Ocala National Forest or go further north - north of Gainesville and then head east. Do no go thru Gainesville!

Or, head southeast and ride thru the Everglades. Be careful in there. Some very rough people. Exotic scenery.

There's always the Florida Keys but that's big haul and would involve lots of traffic. Pretty though.

Panhandle is nice too. Go along the water out towards Pensacola.

Good luck.
I appreciate it. I was actually considering a two day trip to Key West, I thought it would be nice but I didn't think about the traffic.
I think I'm probably going to keep it simple, maybe head up the Gulf coast as far as I dare, maybe go East to St Augustine.
I know Gainsville is bad neighborhood, my wife and I have driven through it many times going back and forth to my dads. Never had any issues though.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I appreciate it. I was actually considering a two day trip to Key West, I thought it would be nice but I didn't think about the traffic.
I think I'm probably going to keep it simple, maybe head up the Gulf coast as far as I dare, maybe go East to St Augustine.
I know Gainsville is bad neighborhood, my wife and I have driven through it many times going back and forth to my dads. Never had any issues though.
Gainesville is not a "bad" neighborhood (well, one section but ...) -- it is a college town and very congested.

The Keys might be ok if you went during the week. Once you get on the overland highway (the road thru the keys) it is magnificent. Just crowded all the way down on weekends. Also, there were major construction projects planned for the roads leading in. Don't know if they started yet. Would do homework if you go the Keys route.

If St. Augustine is the plan. Go North along coast then head East about High Springs. Stop at Great Outdoors in High Springs if it's time for a break. Florida is mostly wide open North of Gainesville. You can sail on county roads forever.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I'll probably steer away from Tampa but I was considering a day trip to St. Augustine. St. Augustine is very rich in history.
Another suggestion: If it is history you wish, check out Fort Caroline, a national park site in Jacksonville. It is the reason St. Augustine exists: 12713 Fort Caroline Road, Jacksonville, FL 32225. It predates St. Augustine by a year and forced the Spanish to return to Florida (which they had declared uninhabitable) to kill those "French Lutherans." So today, Spanish commander Pedro Menendez, the first mass murderer in American history, has a high school named in his honor in St. Augustine.

St. Augustine, itself is nice, albeit touristy. The Castillo De San Marcos National Monument is worthy of your attention.

Personally, I'm partial to Fernandina Beach, 15 miles off I-95 at Exit 373.
www.floridastateparks.org/park/Fort-Clinch. Only fortification in North America to have been under seven flags. The town is rich in pirate history (although pirates didn't take notes) and isn't so commercial as St. Augustine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode