Damn unions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Damn unions

My dealer did confirm today through Kawasaki Corporate that delivery of the 650 LTs is being held up by the labor dispute at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. Dammit

Last time I checked there were 33 cargo ships sitting off the coast waiting to be offloaded.

Edit: Looks like the ports reopened this morning.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kidder; 02-17-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Why is your title 'damn unions', instead of 'damn greedy corporations'? Do you know something the rest of us don't about the disputes?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
My dealer did confirm today through Kawasaki Corporate that delivery of the 650 LTs is being held up by the labor dispute at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. Dammit

Last time I checked there were 33 cargo ships sitting off the coast waiting to be offloaded.

Edit: Looks like the ports reopened this morning.
I'll bet if those working people were compensated like the executives, they probably wouldn't strike either. Sucks when you don't get to have your golf buddies sitting on your board to appropriate your share of the pie. From the sound of your edit, their collective bargaining must have worked out. Stinking working class peasants, who do they think they are anyway? Life would be much better if we could just store them in pens and whip them when they get outta line dontcha think?

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Why is your title 'damn unions', instead of 'damn greedy corporations'? Do you know something the rest of us don't about the disputes?
How about "damn unregulated monopolies?"
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Texas is not Union Friendly...One of the main reasons the economy is so good there..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Texas is not Union Friendly...One of the main reasons the economy is so good there..
China's is even better. Hard to beat sweat shop profit margins.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
When i was in Midland the other day, I commented to the gas station attendant about the gas prices being high even though there is a refinery down the road. She made a comment about there being a lot of money in Midland. She didn't say it in a positive way though.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Lessee, dock workers deliberately working slower getting overpaid. Yeah, I despise unions. Unions are obsolete and only cost the consumer more for overpaid workers. Guess this thread will get moved soon.

Oh, and I want my bike.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Lessee, dock workers deliberately working slower getting overpaid.
How fast does the management work? Obviously, they are above reproach. Only working people suck.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
How fast does the management work? Obviously, they are above reproach. Only working people suck.
Like on that show, "undercover boss". The CEO visits the factory and can't keep up with the slow workers. In fact most bosses can'two what the workers do.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Like on that show, "undercover boss". The CEO visits the factory and can't keep up with the slow workers. In fact most bosses can'two what the workers do.
And worse, most of them have no idea what they are paying their workers next to nothing to do. That show always warms my heart when I see the big shots humbled. Not that it matters. They'll give a few k here and there for pr, then it's undoubtedly back to status quo. It's human nature. Whaddya gonna do?
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
They are getting paid over 50 dollars an hour to offload the cargo. That is ridiculous to pay someone over 100k to operate a crane.

Workers in unions get paid too much to do what they do. They can be poor performers and it won't matter because they are protected by the union. There is no incentive for them to want to do a better job because they are protected by the union.

I have a real life example. My wife's uncle worked at a the local GM plant and was a member of the UAW. He said they used to throw nuts and bolts inside car doors for fun. In his later years, he used to go into work, clock in, go home, then go back to clock out. He knew he couldn't get fired so he did it. When he was there, he would play cards instead of working.

A friend of mine is in a union for American Airlines and is a baggage handler. He gets paid over 60k to put luggage in and airplane. Ridiculous.

Oh, and I want my damn bike.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:10 PM
MTS

Congrats on the new bike!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
They are getting paid over 50 dollars an hour to offload the cargo. That is ridiculous to pay someone over 100k to operate a crane.
Last time I checked, a hundred k in LA wasn't exactly filthy rich.

Quote:
Workers in unions get paid too much to do what they do. They can be poor performers and it won't matter because they are protected by the union. There is no incentive for them to want to do a better job because they are protected by the union.
I think you listen to too much talk radio. I worked in a union shop for years. I was not in the union, but knew many who were. I saw them become debilitated with repetitive motion and other injuries. I saw them work in close proximity to industrial chemicals and die early of various diseases that were unnatural for their ages. I saw them get fired for doing petty things like coming back from lunch late when they had made it too high up the pay scale.

Quote:
I have a real life example. My wife's uncle worked at a the local GM plant and was a member of the UAW. He said they used to throw nuts and bolts inside car doors for fun. In his later years, he used to go into work, clock in, go home, then go back to clock out. He knew he couldn't get fired so he did it. When he was there, he would play cards instead of working.
You do realize there was a management at GM right? You do understand that any benefit given to employees was agreed to by that management, right? You do understand that management does have the responsibility to supervise and counsel/punish workers who are not doing what they are paid to do, right? So why is it you are so quick to blame everything on working people? I'm not saying they're perfect or without blame, but I think low skilled workers who don't opt to collectively bargain are either clueless or masochists.

Quote:
A friend of mine is in a union for American Airlines and is a baggage handler. He gets paid over 60k to put luggage in and airplane. Ridiculous.
Wow, a guy who will probably be disabled from back and joint issues before he's 50 makes a middle class wage in America. What a travesty!

Quote:
Oh, and I want my damn bike.
Me too. I'd also like a blow job and a Big Mac.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
China's is even better. Hard to beat sweat shop profit margins.

Have you been to China?? I have. My G/F has family there and they all have some type of business and they all do very well and so do their employees.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Have you been to China??
No, but I've made friends with many in my occupation. Most tell me they grew up dirt poor. They weren't telling me to complain, just answering questions I asked.

Quote:
I have. My G/F has family there and they all have some type of business and they all do very well and so do their employees.
China is undoubtedly enjoying the fruits of their wealth creating workers just as America has. The many supported by the labor of the few...
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
No, but I've made friends with many in my occupation. Most tell me they grew up dirt poor. They weren't telling me to complain, just answering questions I asked.

China is undoubtedly enjoying the fruits of their wealth creating workers just as America has. The many supported by the labor of the few...

Thats life if you don't like it just shoot yourself.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Thats life if you don't like it just shoot yourself.
Are you a therapist?
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Are you a therapist?

No, But i use to date one.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I'll bet if those working people were compensated like the executives, they probably wouldn't strike either. Sucks when you don't get to have your golf buddies sitting on your board to appropriate your share of the pie. From the sound of your edit, their collective bargaining must have worked out. Stinking working class peasants, who do they think they are anyway? Life would be much better if we could just store them in pens and whip them when they get outta line dontcha think?
I have a good friend who's son is a Longshoreman in the Los Angeles area.. He is very well off financially...He makes more than my granddaughter's pediatrician and has a million dollar Lake house here in Alabama with a garage full of motorcycles and water craft. That is a good thing. The strike was the Union fighting for the future jobs that the shippers wanted to outsource.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 02-18-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode