Fuel guage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Fuel guage

Just wondering since I donīt have enough experience of the bike to know - when the gauge is low, how do you really know how much fuel you have left and when to fill up? I think I read there is some kind of fuel indicator light but no actual reserve tank - what does that mean exactly? How long left when the little light comes on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Generally speaking when the fuel light flashes on the Versys I have about a gallon left. But why even push it, when it starts flashing fuel or if you are low and heading into an area where you know fuel will be far away, just get gas, it isn't like your not going to use it anyway...
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
one solid bar it means 5.5ltrs and flashing bar 3.5 ltrs

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM

I haven't seen a post on anyone ever running out, but it has probably happened.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Versys fuel capacity is supposedly 5.0 US Gallons. After riding on a blinking last bar for a while, I filled up to 4.89 gallons with the V on the sidestand. I think I was close to being able to report that I had run dry.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Fill up every tank. Keep track of how many miles/kms you rode since the last fill up and how many gallons/litres it took to replace what you used. There are iPhone apps that do this, or there's the old fashioned log book method. Only takes a few seconds.

After a few tanks you'll know what you get for fuel economy on average, and that's a good supplement to a gas gauge. My average has been 52 mpg with a range of 45 to 55. With a 5 gallon capacity, that means I can expect from 225 to 275 miles until she goes "wa-cuh-wa-cuh-p-p-p-uhhhhhhh." Highway speeds and cold temps raise fuel consumption, as does a greedy throttle hand.

My rule of thumb is that I'm safe for 200 miles, then it's time for gas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:09 PM

I usually take mine down until the 1 bar flashes (around town that is)....and I have never put more then 4 gallons in at a time (on its side stand/to the bottom of the neck)....usually around 3.89-3.98......haven't pushed it any farther then that...not wanting to become a statistic
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:51 PM

In my experience with bikes in this engine size category (V-strom 650 & DR650SE), they deliver very consistent fuel mileage. In my case it's been right at 50 mpg (at least). I keep that figure in mind and reset my trip meter at every fill up and keep an eye on it just to keep the fuel gauge honest. That's what I'm doing with my new Versys.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys, very helpful for me to gauge it, don;t want to be running out suddenly, since I am used to having a reserve. Will report back on what I get from a tank.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Fill up every tank. Keep track of how many miles (...)
I do that on Fuelly with all our vehicles.

These are all 9 fuel-ups of my Versys.

The graph is a bit ragged, though my average might be 43 mpg, because those last two fuel-ups are during my RTE to Wellsboro, so very little of my regular combination of stop-and-go traffic and highway speed riding.

We will see at what mpg my V will settle.

Quote:
Highway speeds and cold temps raise fuel consumption, as does a greedy throttle hand.
I seem to be afflicted by all three.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Happened to me a a couple of weeks ago. Apparently I didn't fill up properly (I'm still getting used to this bike) and thought I had more miles than I originally expected. Long story short, I ran out of gas on the interstate, about 5 miles from where I was expecting to fuel up. Luckily I have roadside assistance in my insurance but I definitely learned my lesson.

On the positive side, I found out A LOT about the local motorcycling community. But that's another story...

• 2009 Green Versys
  • 2008 Black Vulcan 900 Custom
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
one solid bar it means 5.5ltrs and flashing bar 3.5 ltrs
Just a correction to that on page 39 of my manual, "when only the bottom most segment is displayed, 5.0L (1.3 US gal) of fuel remain. Furthermore, when the lowest segment and fuelflash in the digital meter, only 3.5L (0.9 US gal) of fuel remain. Refuel at the earliest opportunity if the most bottom segment of the fuel gauge flashes"

I work on a ball park figure of 20 km to the litre not pushing it, i think it 4.5 ltr to your gal so that would be 90 Km or around 55 miles per gal. Did fuel up recently and put 18.5 ltrs in and it is a 19ltr tank so my figures are wee bit optimistic
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Well I filled her up yesterday and put in 15.5 litres, having done 297kms on that amount. I also ready here somewhere that you can add another 7% on due to odometer? Is that right? If so, I got nearly 320kms on 15.5 litres, not bad at all!
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
Well I filled her up yesterday and put in 15.5 litres, having done 297kms on that amount. I also ready here somewhere that you can add another 7% on due to odometer? Is that right? If so, I got nearly 320kms on 15.5 litres, not bad at all!
7% is added to odometer/tripmeter reading only if you have 15/43 or 16/46 sprockets. Odometer/tripmeter is accurate with stock 15/46 sprockets.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

I am on stock I think.Thanks, still not bad tho ,around 20kms a litre. That means 400kms on a tank.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
I am on stock I think.Thanks, still not bad tho ,around 20kms a litre. That means 400kms on a tank.
I work on around 20km/ltr
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 AM

there is no fuel warning light, the LCD display will flash and display a low fuel / empty message.. whether that message is translated for different countries I dunno.

The tank capacity is 19 litres, I think Ive managed to squeeze 19 litres into the tank so you have a little bit of freedom on the guage. personally I work on the basis if Ive done somewhere around 180..200 miles its about time to fill up irrespective of whether the guage is blinking or not. for planning purposes I tend to work on 200 miles per tank.

I think the best range Ive had was about 225 miles equivalent to 55 Mpg
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for tip. It was flashing FUEL so I guess itīs an international word now! )
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Versys fuel capacity is supposedly 5.0 US Gallons. After riding on a blinking last bar for a while, I filled up to 4.89 gallons with the V on the sidestand. I think I was close to being able to report that I had run dry.
That is almost exactly where I got to last week. I was starting to wonder if I was going to make it. The flashing fuel LCD is annoying enough to make me fill up.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
That is almost exactly where I got to last week. I was starting to wonder if I was going to make it. The flashing fuel LCD is annoying enough to make me fill up.
Yesterday I did one better: 5.08 gallons on the sidestand.
I think I need to stop going so far after I see the gauge starts blinking...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode