Strange starter issue and others - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Strange starter issue and others

Hi all

long time no speak, I hope you are all well and loving your bikes!

I have three issues to ask about, I hope that someone can help.

I have been using the bike less and less due to having a child, and sometimes it can sit for quite a while without being used.

1 )I now have some kind of starter issue .Basically, when I used to constantly use the bike all the time I could just start her with the starter button , no revs needed. After a lot of sitting idle, it now wont just start - rather it cuts out if I just hit the button. I have to give it a quick blip on the throttle for her to then idle ok.

2) An intermittent issue but seems quite a biggy when it happens. Basically I will open the throttle to accelerate , but the bike won't accelerate , just stays at the speed I am doing. The more I open the throttle, the less the bike wants to go and seem to even slow a little. This has happened 3-4 times. At first I thought clutch. She was serviced in January and the mechanic says the clutch is ok. Since the service it has happened twice more. Last night being one. It goes on for a minute or so and then the bike goes back to normal.

It's a scary one, since one day I might need that acceleration and I don't want to think of me opening her up and nothing happening.

3) This is probably the most minor issue. There is a metallic rattle coming from the exhaust (I think) . Mechanic tells me that sometimes the exhaust comes loose from it's housing and that is the problem. Is this correct?

All help apreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
Hi all

long time no speak, I hope you are all well and loving your bikes!

I have three issues to ask about, I hope that someone can help.

I have been using the bike less and less due to having a child, and sometimes it can sit for quite a while without being used.

1 )I now have some kind of starter issue .Basically, when I used to constantly use the bike all the time I could just start her with the starter button , no revs needed. After a lot of sitting idle, it now wont just start - rather it cuts out if I just hit the button. I have to give it a quick blip on the throttle for her to then idle ok.

2) An intermittent issue but seems quite a biggy when it happens. Basically I will open the throttle to accelerate , but the bike won't accelerate , just stays at the speed I am doing. The more I open the throttle, the less the bike wants to go and seem to even slow a little. This has happened 3-4 times. At first I thought clutch. She was serviced in January and the mechanic says the clutch is ok. Since the service it has happened twice more. Last night being one. It goes on for a minute or so and then the bike goes back to normal.

It's a scary one, since one day I might need that acceleration and I don't want to think of me opening her up and nothing happening.

3) This is probably the most minor issue. There is a metallic rattle coming from the exhaust (I think) . Mechanic tells me that sometimes the exhaust comes loose from it's housing and that is the problem. Is this correct?

All help apreciated
If you're not riding it much, suggest you add some "Sta-Bil" or "Seafoam" to your tank in case the gas is a little 'old'.

2010 (and later Vs) seem to lose the muffler-tip. Is yours loose?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If you're not riding it much, suggest you add some "Sta-Bil" or "Seafoam" to your tank in case the gas is a little 'old'.

2010 (and later Vs) seem to lose the muffler-tip. Is yours loose?

Mine is a 2007 , but nothing loose as far as I know. I will have to grab it and see.

What do you mean by "gas" - petrol? I've been riding it lately and filled up a few times so the petrol is all recent.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
Mine is a 2007 , but nothing loose as far as I know. I will have to grab it and see.

What do you mean by "gas" - petrol? I've been riding it lately and filled up a few times so the petrol is all recent.
Yes, petrol is gas in the USA. We haven't learned yet.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:03 PM

I had weird intermittent throttle problem...turned out to be that the throttle position sensor went bad. Got it replaced under warranty thankfully.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:30 PM

how long is quite a while? Even though you have fresh gas in her now, you could have a clog injector or a fouled plug. Keeping seafoam in the tank will help with periods of time not being used after you get the problem solved.

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s102000 View Post
how long is quite a while? Even though you have fresh gas in her now, you could have a clog injector or a fouled plug. Keeping seafoam in the tank will help with periods of time not being used after you get the problem solved.
Not that I know anything about motorbike engines but I was wondering if it might be something to do with t he injector too. I think maybe the starter issue and the losing power issue could be related somehow, possible?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 PM

I don't know enough about fuel injected engines, but since there are so many electrical components involved in controlling the fuel delivery and spark, it can be tricky to figure out where the culprit is. Carburated engines are much more straight forward. Some things won't "throw codes" either. For example, if the fuel pump is bad, it won't throw a code. When my TPS went out, it was a couple of weeks and a couple thousand miles of the engine surging and bucking and not responding to the throttle getting progressively worse, and eventually becoming unrideable, before it threw a code that the dealership could read. Even after it did, they still had difficulty identifying the problem.

Starting with the cheapest, easiest things first is a good way to go. That would not be the TPS, unless a mechanic/dealer can diagnose it easily for you.

2011 Imperial Red
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:10 PM

Normal idle speed must be set to 1,300 rpm... How low is yours, spainy? How many kms on your spark plugs, and on your Versys ? Have you checked your valve clearances and vacuum synched your throttle bodies?

If your rpm's increase and your speed doesn't, clutch slipping may be caused by improper clutch cable adjustment and/or lack of lubing or from cable fraying, or worn out clutch discs/weak springs.

Last edited by invader; 02-17-2015 at 10:45 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Normal idle speed must be set to 1,300 rpm... How low is yours, spainy? How many kms on your spark plugs, and on your Versys ? Have you checked your valve clearances and vacuum synched your throttle bodies?

If your rpm's increase and your speed doesn't, clutch slipping may be caused by improper clutch cable adjustment and/or lack of lubing or from cable fraying, or worn out clutch discs/weak springs.
Idle speed is normal, 55,000kms on bike. Not sure about sparks, cant remember when they were last changed. Don't even know what valve clearances are or vaccum synching
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 03:51 AM

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Ok, it seems to be all sorted out and it was something very simple. A dirty filter, covered in oil. Had it cleaned yesterday, and today she started up first time, no throttle needed.

One happy chappy. Thanks for the input.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 AM

Glad to hear it was a simple fix...

2011 Imperial Red
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
Glad to hear it was a simple fix...
Which goes to show how IMPORTANT regular maintenance is...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I jumped the gun a little. She is still doing the same thing, just needs less throttle since the filter was cleaned. groan.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM

Inspect your ignition coils and replace your <55,000 km spark plugs, check and adjust your valve clearances, and synchronize your throttle bodies' vacuum.

If you don't know how, take it to someone who does, like at a motorcycle repair shop or Kawasaki dealer.

http://www.danimotor.com/es/taller.html

Last edited by invader; 03-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks INvader! Anyone know how to say that stuff in Spanish?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 05:43 AM

English: Change spark plugs, adjust valve clearances, and synchronize throttles... Change oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid, and fork oil.

Spanish: Cambie las bujías, ajustar el juego de válvulas, y sincronizar los aceleradores... Cambie el aceite y filtro, refrigerante, líquido de frenos, y el aceite de tenedor.

Last edited by invader; 03-05-2015 at 03:44 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
English: Change spark plugs, adjust valve clearances, and synchronize throttles... Change oil and filter, coolant, brake fluid, and fork oil.

Spanish: Cambie las bujías, ajustar el juego de válvulas, y sincronizar los aceleradores... Cambie el aceite y filtro, refrigerante, líquido de frenos, y el aceite de tenedor.
WOW thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode