Cramp Buster - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cramp Buster

Anyone here use a Cramp buster on their throttle? I was at the OSU Beaver game today and saw a Versys parked in the area that had one and it looked nice. What size do we need for the Versys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I used one until I put my heated grips on. Then I got a WAY more expensive throttle lock out of convince. The cramp buster works well once you figure out where you need it to be positioned and is quickly removable if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:17 AM

The Cramp buster is a half measure not worth the 15 bucks IMAO
Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control
available for 20 bucks most everywhere. It will not interfere with heated/stock grips and whatnot.

I'm no diplomat

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:27 AM

Garage
I've used my Cramp Buster on my KLR, and now on my Versys and really like it. I also now have Oxford heated grips, and don't have any issues with it. But it is not cruise control. I prefer this because if you have an off, it won't keep the throttle pinned. The down side is that on long rides, you can't take your hand off to rest if needed. So as with most farkles there is always a trade off of pros and cons that are so individual, that it has to be personal preference. That being said, I may look into the Vista Cruise next season...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 AM

Just an aside on the Vista Cruise. You can adjust the tension. I have it set to the point where it has just enough tension to counter-act the throttle return pressure. With my hand on the throttle it holds the current throttle input. If I remove my hand engine vibes begin to cause it throttle down. It is adjustable on the fly and can be set to 'lock' the throttle but hands-free riding, riding and texting, riding and surfing the web are all activities well beyond my capabilities. Besides, If I remove my hands, they start getting cold

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 02-09-2015 at 07:57 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM

I have cramp busters and throttle locks on both of my street bikes. They're different tools to accomplish different things. I have the newer/adjustable Go Cruise throttle lock on one bike and an Omni Cruise on the other.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have this style cramp buster on all of my bikes. It's great for around town and when you're using the throttle a lot. Reduces fatigue, especially for those bikes with a stiff throttle spring. Would NOT be without it. I have two bikes with electronic cruise control, and they both have a cramp buster on them.

Also have an Omni-Cruise thingy which is made by a guy in California. It's easily moved from bike to bike. Not cheap, but it works. It's one of my better investments.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:33 AM

You want one? Free? You pay shipping. Caveat: Crampbuster is in Florida and I'm incarcerated with twin 2-year-olds in Minneapolis. Won't be able to get to it until next month.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
Anyone here use a Cramp buster on their throttle? I was at the OSU Beaver game today and saw a Versys parked in the area that had one and it looked nice. What size do we need for the Versys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
The Cramp buster is a half measure not worth the 15 bucks IMAO
Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control
available for 20 bucks most everywhere. It will not interfere with heated/stock grips and whatnot....
TWO of my friends who HAD "Cramp busters" on their bikes crashed BECAUSE of them. In BOTH cases trying to turn while their palm was against the Cramp buster, causing FULL throttle when neither wanted nor intended. They both got rid of them....

I use the Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control on both my Vs. Works FINE.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
TWO of my friends who HAD "Cramp busters" on their bikes crashed BECAUSE of them. In BOTH cases trying to turn while their palm was against the Cramp buster, causing FULL throttle when neither wanted nor intended. They both got rid of them....
:
New riders?

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM

Yeah, sounds like user error to me.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
New riders?

My co-worker had a crampbuster on his Sportster. At the end of a ride, as he was pulling into his garage, his right hand slipped from the grip and rested on the crampbuster - that quickly opened the throttle, and his bike shot out from under him and smashed into the back of his garage.

He was not a newbie.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:56 PM

I have one of the older one-piece plastic Go Cruise throttle locks on my bike. Works fine, allows me to take my hand off the throttle for a bit. It is a very rudimentary solution. It works, but I've hit the kill switch a couple of times when I was folding it back into it's out-of-the-way position. Hard to explain, easy to show...

I had one of the plastic thumb-lever-activated throttle locks, bought it in the 1980's, put it on several bikes, but it finally wore out and I tossed it. Worked great. Don't remember the manufacturer, and when I went to buy one for the V, I couldn't find one like it. I liked it better than the Go Cruise. Thumb activation is way more convenient and natural for me.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Got an original Go Cruise when they first came out. Used it on the Versys. If anyone local wants it. It'll cost you 2 carne asada tacos and a medium coke at Alertos on Brookhurst. That would be less than $9.00

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:34 AM

go cruise life time warranty. I let my friend use mine no idea how he broke it in half. saw the rep at the motorcycle show told him what happened. said bring him the old one he would exchange it for free . I so happened to have the broken one with me on the bike in the panniers. 10 min later new go cruise in hand no fuss what so ever. I recommend them to any body who is looking for a cheap option for a cruise control.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Got an original Go Cruise when they first came out. Used it on the Versys.
I have one of those on both my bikes. Love them. One of the bikes came with a Vista-cruise (or a unit that looked like one) installed. One of the 1st things I did was remove it. I much preferred the Go Cruise.

I haven't used a cramp buster for years. I have one somewhere. Maybe I should give it away. I could see wanting it if I took a few weeks away from riding, then went on a long ride. But I ride throughout the year year and don't use it.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 AM

I've got an original Go Cruise too. Free to good home. I replaced with the newer adjustable one (as pictured above). They work fine but the newer ones work better. I think I've still got one of the bands that goes around the grip as well, which gives the Go Cruise something to hang on to if it tends to slip.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 AM

I love my cramp buster, have had it for several years. Never any problems with accelerating when I didn't want to. I cover my front brake when I ride, so my fingers are extended. It's nice to have something under the wrist to help control the throttle. I have it set that when the throttle is closed, my wrist rests on it in a neutral position. I like the additional control it gives me, even on the twisties. Maybe I've also just gotten used to it. I picked mine up on sale at cycle gear for about $10.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
I love my cramp buster, have had it for several years. Never any problems with accelerating when I didn't want to. I cover my front brake when I ride, so my fingers are extended. It's nice to have something under the wrist to help control the throttle. I have it set that when the throttle is closed, my wrist rests on it in a neutral position. I like the additional control it gives me, even on the twisties. Maybe I've also just gotten used to it. I picked mine up on sale at cycle gear for about $10.
Maybe it was your bike I saw with the cramp buster on it, the color is right!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
New riders?

Nope.

First was on my '04 Alaska trip, in Anchorage, when my buddy turned into a steep driveway, then realized it was the wrong one, and started a U-turn to the right only to have the heel of his hand contact the Crampbuster, opening the throttle and DOWN...! (He was pinned under his Bandit till someone found him and helped him out, about a half hour later.)

Second was in the desert on a dirt road a few miles S of here, another buddy leading on his Versys, when he went a bit wide on a gentle right curve, got into the soft stuff and couldn't get his hand off the throttle in time while it was 'fish-tailing', hit a rock and went over the bars. I was about 25' behind on my '08.

BOTH threw the Crampbuster away!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode