Sat on a 2015 650 ABS today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sat on a 2015 650 ABS today

I went to a local dealer and finally got to sit on a 15 650 ABS. It was white. I sat on it and initial impressions are it will fit me. It won't be as comfortable as my Super Tenere but it should work out quite nicely. I took some pics but the lighting was so poor that they didn't come out well enough to post. I did adjust the windscreen which is very straightforward. I also looked at the mounting points for the luggage even though this one doesn't come with one. Overall, the fit and finish is very nice and it is going to make the wait for my LT that much harder.

I kept going back and forth between white and green. I thought I wanted green but after I saw the white up close, I'm going with the white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
I went to a local dealer and finally got to sit on a 15 650 ABS. It was white. I sat on it and initial impressions are it will fit me. It won't be as comfortable as my Super Tenere but it should work out quite nicely. I took some pics but the lighting was so poor that they didn't come out well enough to post. I did adjust the windscreen which is very straightforward. I also looked at the mounting points for the luggage even though this one doesn't come with one. Overall, the fit and finish is very nice and it is going to make the wait for my LT that much harder.

I kept going back and forth between white and green. I thought I wanted green but after I saw the white up close, I'm going with the white.
I would say look again, that Kawasaki green is pretty nice, please make sure first! I almost bought a 13 white Versys but ended up with the green 14 and I am so glad I did that! You will get a lot of thumbs up on a green bike.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Please fill us in on why the move from a Super Tenere to the Versys 650 LT? Many of us are looking at the Super Tenere as the next possible progression to full up adventure touring.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Please fill us in on why the move from a Super Tenere to the Versys 650 LT? Many of us are looking at the Super Tenere as the next possible progression to full up adventure touring.
My wife was laid off a year ago and in order to start shedding bills, I had to sell my 2012 Super Tenere. I did not want to get rid of it and I would be buying one again if the budget could support it. So, the Versys is what I'm getting to get me back on two wheels. I'm excited about it.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
I would say look again, that Kawasaki green is pretty nice, please make sure first! I almost bought a 13 white Versys but ended up with the green 14 and I am so glad I did that! You will get a lot of thumbs up on a green bike.
There were other models on the floor in the Kawasaki green. It does look good but I like the white. The dealer I am buying from has a green ABS so I will be able to do a side by side comparison when the white LT comes in.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yes Please! I was seriously thinking about the Tenere as my future Adventure Bike.... and have not heard too many people going from the Super, to the Versys. I gather you have the 1200cc?

Thank You
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
A "full up adventure touring" bike...? Here's one...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had a 2012 Super Tenere. I wanted something a fuzz smaller and lighter.
Face it, neither one of these is an off road bike - but (for me) the Versys is better than that Tenere. YOUR preference can, and will vary

Eddie is excluded, of course. He would put knobbies on a Gold Wing.

Besides, I already had a road bike.

Last edited by kballowe; 02-09-2015 at 11:46 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
I had a 2012 Super Tenere. I wanted something a fuzz smaller and lighter.
Face it, neither one of these is an off road bike - but (for me) the Versys is better than that Tenere. YOUR preference can, and will vary

Besides, I already had a road bike.

Eddie is excluded, of course. He would put knobbies on a Gold Wing.
The super tenere is definitely more capable off road than the Versys. The real question would be whether I am skilled and muscular enough to man handle that beast. I definitely prefer my KLX250 for off road riding.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

It is heavy and I wouldn't take it on anything more than fire roads. That's just me. But it is all day comfortable and is capable of doing a lot. I miss mine.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The super tenere is definitely more capable off road than the Versys. The real question would be whether I am skilled and muscular enough to man handle that beast. I definitely prefer my KLX250 for off road riding.
Yes.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Jmarleau, I haven't found any for less than 12 new. However, I want a new one with cruise control as my S10 was set up for long rides. I rode from DFW to Montana June of 2013 and back. It was great but cruise would have been nice. First world problem, I know...

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
No Kidder, you can't go wrong with the Versys 650. You have got the Yamaha "Versys Killer" for about $2000 more here in my country. But $2000 is $2000. I prefer the unique look of the older model, but I must admit, if I were looking for Street Tourer in the $9000 range, the good old 2015 V650 ABS in white is a front runner.
There is no Versys killer
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 PM

The Versys 650 has a higher top speed to the ECU speed limiter on the FJ-09. Still can't kill the Versys.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 02:28 AM

The Versys kills the FJ09 in fuel tank range. Even the earlier Versys like mine beats the FJ, but the new one sounds much improved. Honestly if the FJ09 had a proper fuel tank it might be a Versys killer for me. But it doesn't and that's a deal breaker for me.

I'm disappointed with recent Yamaha standard motorcycles. The FZ6 and old FZ1 had a proper fuel tank and great range. My FZ1 will go farther on the freeway than my Versys will. But the current FZ1, the FZ07, FZ09 and FJ09 all have small tanks. Most disappointing is the FJ I guess because it's intended purpose would really benefit from better range.

I really like the integrated luggage mounts on the new Versys. Haven't seen the luggage yet though.

The big disappointment for me in my Versys was the crap suspension front and rear. The fork was made acceptable with a new shim stack. An R1 shock was great in back, but 2 out of 3 I've bought on ebay leaked, and I had one re-sealed twice to no avail. In the end might have been better to spring for a Penske or similar. My biggest hesitation with buying a new Versys is the crap suspension I've had on the two budget Kaws I've owned. Reviews make it sound improved on the 2015. I hope it's true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode