V1000 in a local dealer ¯ Went for an insurance quote. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
V1000 in a local dealer – Went for an insurance quote.

FYI

I finally had a chance to run a real vin # for an insurance quote on a ’15 V1000 yesterday. For same coverage as my ’12 V650 (almost maxed out) it only came out to $703 a year!!! (about $220 more a year than what I’m paying a year right now)

That’s $400 less a year than the ’14 Ninja 1000 I ran a quote for at the same time.

I’m super happy that insurance isn’t through the roof on the new V1000.

Last edited by Wonker; 02-09-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM

That seems little high for the V650 but, sadly that's about right for a 1000cc bike.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:49 PM

Wow. I think I pay $230/yr for a Concours 14. But then, I'm old.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
I got a quote for $400 and change for the V1K. But I've turned in 3 for total losses over the last decade or so.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
That seems little high for the V650 but, sadly that's about right for a 1000cc bike.
The $480 a year I'm paying for nearly max out coverage for the V650 is the lowest quote I got after a ton of shopping. So if that's high, you are lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
Do you ride that Concours 14 year round? I'd say age may have a lot to do with it but mileage and location are also factors.

I'm 39 (Not that young), live in Vegas (tons of crime and accidents) and ride as my main form of transportation. (ride 365 days a year)

For me and my situation $703 is awesome for a 1000cc bike. I've never been quoted under a grand for liter.

Anyway, the point of all this is just to put it out there, that the V1000 may not be as much to insure as you think. I know a lot of posters were worried about the cost of insuring the V1000. I know I was.

Last edited by Wonker; 02-06-2015 at 02:42 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 03:54 PM

It was below zero this morning. There are a few hearty souls here who ride year-round, but I'm not one of them.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My whole stable cost less than that. Location, age, driving record, education, income, credit score, secure parking, etc. all play into the cost of insurance

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:33 AM

Its amazing to see how insurance costs differ from region to region. I live in NW Louisiana and pay about $130 a year for full coverage with $1500 in accessory replacement. When I was in New Mexico, I was paying around $220 for the year. Mine is an 08 V and I am 39 with a clean driving record.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3e9 View Post
Its amazing to see how insurance costs differ from region to region. I live in NW Louisiana and pay about $130 a year for full coverage with $1500 in accessory replacement. When I was in New Mexico, I was paying around $220 for the year. Mine is an 08 V and I am 39 with a clean driving record.
...and in British Columbia it co$t$ me OVER $100/ month W/OUT collision! (government insurance - ICBC!!!) - -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:45 PM

I pay alot in Ontario Canada too, about $900 a year full coverage. Seems cheap in the USA where many States let you ride without a helmet. I don't get it especially when my bike sits in the garage 6 months of the year because of winter.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclean View Post
I pay alot in Ontario Canada too, about $900 a year full coverage. Seems cheap in the USA where many States let you ride without a helmet. I don't get it especially when my bike sits in the garage 6 months of the year because of winter.
Wearing a helmet or not doesn't affect damage to the bike or damage to who you hit. the supplemental medical would probably be higher in those states with optional helmet law.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My whole stable cost less than that. Location, age, driving record, education, income, credit score, secure parking, etc. all play into the cost of insurance
So a college educated 6 figure $$ income earner will be quoted LESS than a HS grad that makes $50K a year? I'm no insurance agent but I can't see that to be completely accurate.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 06:29 PM

It does however affect damage to you. Private insurance here does not have pay for care after a crash, its already covered by the government. So getting back to my point, I still don't get why insurance is so much more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Wearing a helmet or not doesn't affect damage to the bike or damage to who you hit. the supplemental medical would probably be higher in those states with optional helmet law.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 PM

I pay $200/yr for coverage on my '09 Versys, my quote for a V1000 is $640/yr.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclean View Post
...So getting back to my point, I still don't get why insurance is so much more HERE.
It's because they (the government) CAN! Compare a 1.75L bottle of Gordon's gin here in AZ at $11.99, while in BC it's $55.

Canadians get HOSED!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:27 PM

You are aware, of course, the Versys 1000 is not really a Versys. They say it is but it isn't.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
You are aware, of course, the Versys 1000 is not really a Versys. They say it is but it isn't.
I've been fooled!

What is it then?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonker View Post
I've been fooled!

What is it then?
It's a bike built to compete with those other rediculously big "off road" (wink, wink) bikes made by the likes of BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki and even Moto Guzzi amongst others. Triumph, you name it.
I go off road, yeah that's what I want...a nine hundred pound bike .
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
It's a bike built to compete with those other rediculously big "off road" (wink, wink) bikes made by the likes of BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki and even Moto Guzzi amongst others. Triumph, you name it.
I go off road, yeah that's what I want...a nine hundred pound bike .
I don't think so. The Versys 1000 is a neutral riding position street bike. It would needs steel spoked wheels with 19" or larger front wheel to even have pretentions of off road riding.
The GS, Super Tenere, stelvio, and explorer xc can go off road in the hands of a skilled athletic rider.

The Versys 1000 and 650 are 'sport's bikes for those riders that can no longer lean over to ride, but refuse to get on a cruiser.

My Versys Travels:

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 09:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
It's because they (the government) CAN! Compare a 1.75L bottle of Gordon's gin here in AZ at $11.99, while in BC it's $55.

Canadians get HOSED!!!

How many bottles do you callback in the spring?

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode