Your opinions are most welcome please... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Your opinions are most welcome please...

Guys,

I have announced in the past that I will be buying the S10...now I need yout help with the following choices:

1- S10 2014 blue new no farklera for 10500 usd but I have to pay 6000 usd for import duties (f***** bas*****!!!!)

2- versys 1000 2012 fully farkled for 6000 usd and I pay 1900 usd for import duties (still f***** bas*****!!!!)

I was really up for the S10 but the tolal cost is just too much for me...I tries to find some 2012 model to lower the import duties down to 2800usd but no luck (I am searching the canadian market by the way)

Now I really feel down...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
That seems a bit high, 6000 USD just to import it!

Unfortunately yes, the import customs calculated the duties based on the actual date of circulation of the bike and not its model year...so even if you buy a 2010 model new and you use it for the first time in 2015 you gonna pay the percentage of its market value in 2010...it is just crazy! It Pissed me off

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
save your money and move to were they dont rape you on "import" tax

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
Guys,

I have announced in the past that I will be buying the S10...now I need yout help with the following choices:

1- S10 2014 blue new no farklera for 10500 usd but I have to pay 6000 usd for import duties (f***** bas*****!!!!)

2- versys 1000 2012 fully farkled for 6000 usd and I pay 1900 usd for import duties (still f***** bas*****!!!!)
A Chevy pickup or a V1K? Odd choice. I'd go with the bike.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
save your money and move to were they dont rape you on "import" tax
first idea that came to my mind...not a bad one at all!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
A Chevy pickup or a V1K? Odd choice. I'd go with the bike.
the S10 is not as heavy as you may think, believe me I tried it and it is really well balanced and with center of gravity you don't feel much of its weight...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
the S10 is not as heavy as you may think, believe me I tried it and it is really well balanced and with center of gravity you don't feel much of its weight...
Sorry, it was an attempt at humor. Not sure what an S10 is in your neck of the woods, but in Amurica it's one of these:

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You did not state your location, I'm assuming Canada. Something is wrong if you are importing from US to Canada in your pricing estimates. You pay $200 RIV fee and HST, that's it, see RIV web site. BTW I thought the S10 was a pickup truck as in Chevy S10.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-06-2015 at 07:14 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 AM

Garage
Yeah I'm a little lost here too. I don't know what bike refers to an S10 either, Super Tenere? BUT I'd choose the 2012 Versys 1000 in a heartbeat. Fully farkeled AND cheaper,

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 02-06-2015 at 07:16 AM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 AM

Garage
Since the '12 Versys Was never in the US, I'm assuming he is trying to export out of Canada. I don't know what an s10 bike is either. I could guess an s10 is super 10nere`

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry, it was an attempt at humor. Not sure what an S10 is in your neck of the woods, but in Amurica it's one of these:

I knew this guy was a poser

Buy the S10 Its so far ahead of anything Kawasaki can do that its no contest!

I'm no diplomat
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There has been a very small percentage of cam chain tensioner problems with the Super Tenere. The 2014 models have an upgraded design. I (personally) would go with a 2014 model.

You get shaft drive, three mode traction control, two mode ECM, ABS, and electronic cruise control.

(no cruise control on the 2012 model)

The ES model comes also with heated grips and electronically adjustable suspension.

Last edited by kballowe; 02-06-2015 at 07:39 AM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:

Call me a dumb American, but yeah a S10 is a tiny chevy pickup truck. Really cool when you throw a 350 in there though.

either way I would stick with the V, but I only say that because I know about it and have long dreamed of being able to have a 1000cc V.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Garage
I wonder if the v35s could mount to the super tenere. I've had those bags on two bikes now and told myself that I would always own a bike that could use them.

Why is it that only moto guzzi offers smaller displacement bikes with driveshaft? My '77 xs750 had a driveshaft.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 AM

Here is a little thread to help you in your research
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5850&page=1771

I'm no diplomat
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I wonder if the v35s could mount to the super tenere. I've had those bags on two bikes now and told myself that I would always own a bike that could use them.

Why is it that only moto guzzi offers smaller displacement bikes with driveshaft? My '77 xs750 had a driveshaft.

It can. There is a rack for super tenere

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AKB2598/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/280-1571417-3124727
I do have v35 too and I will keep them which ever bike I will buy

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:27 AM

Garage
He is in the US from what I know. WHY I believe this is that there are NO US model Versys 1000's available to the US until the new 2015's. So he must be getting the V and quite possibly the Tenure from Canada.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
He is in the US from what I know. WHY I believe this is that there are NO US model Versys 1000's available to the US until the new 2015's. So he must be getting the V and quite possibly the Tenure from Canada.
There are plenty of S10s here in the US though. The 2014 model is supposed to be better on the road and adds cruise control.

I think he's said that looking to Canada for the bike was supposed to save $$, but import duties seem to make up for it.

wheelsinmotion in Chatsworth California is always advertising new Yamahas on CL for low prices. I think discounts can be had even in my state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
It's kinda weird how shafts fell out of favor except in the heavyweight segment. At least as done by Yamaha it seems like they were extremely reliable.

Moto Guzzi has the new V7 II coming to the US later this year. They've added a modern transmission and ABS to the V7. It also gets traction control--though I doubt the lack of traction control was a huge problem on the old one. I'm interested in the new one, but I'd be more interested if the power weren't so low. I'd also be more interested if it used modern radial tire sizes.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 03:51 PM

I did manufacturing engineering work in auto industry for about 9 years. It's as simple as:

Chevy No (as in never),

Versys Yes, you're done.

Of course if you are in Canada, you almost need 3 or 4 wheels to drive year round. I'd go for a 3 wheel, 2 front wheels tilt, BMW scooter engine maker Piaggio 500cc in a second in Canada! Hopefully their front end patents will expire in a few more years and we can get more models like this with hard tops like in Europe. But that would really bang the US auto industry hard if that happened.

Last edited by kawdog; 02-07-2015 at 03:55 PM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

ok guys sorry for the confusing "S10" which is referring to the super tenere

I am not importing it to US, I am importing it to north Africa where I am stationed now and wanted to do a long trip in some neighboring countries here with my wife...given the excessive amount of import duties, I will just wait until I go to US or eventually obtain a tax exempt status somewhere here....I got to work it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode