Oil Level - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil Level

I bought a used 2008 Vs. I changed the oil and filter today. After adding 1.9 qts. of oil the level showing in the sight glass is just above the low mark. When I started the engine, the level went up to just over the high mark and stayed there. Turned the engine off and the level returned to near the low mark. This acts completely opposite to my V-Strom. Is this normal?? This all happened while the bike was on a rear stand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thanks,
Mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I never look at the sight glass while the engine is running since it provides no information I can use. I put in 2 full quarts and call it good.

I hold the bike level when getting ready for a ride, and if there is oil between the lines, I ride.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You never check oil level with a running engine... you wait a few minutes after you shut off the engine.

Also I think that the Versys Oil level sight glass has something behind it like a baffle. This capures oil when engine running and makes it look over full.
When filling my V the oil level slowly drops after I stop pouring and settles in about 30 sec. Frustrating as it takes a bit longer to fill to the MAX Line.

The V-Strom sight glass might not this baffle.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Throttle View Post
I bought a used 2008 Vs. I changed the oil and filter today. After adding 1.9 qts. of oil the level showing in the sight glass is just above the low mark. When I started the engine, the level went up to just over the high mark and stayed there. Turned the engine off and the level returned to near the low mark. This acts completely opposite to my V-Strom. Is this normal?? This all happened while the bike was on a rear stand.

Depending on how well the old oil was drained, I have had changes where I needed to add more than 2 qts. As others have said it takes longer than other bikes for the level to show on the sight glass.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:15 AM

+ 1 on what was said above.

In other words - change the oil, put in about 2 quarts, go for a 20 + minute ride at normal speeds, park it, shut off the engine, wait a few minutes, hold the bike vertical (not on a bike stand), check the sight glass. Add oil if needed.

As been said on this forum, it may help to keep the oil near the top line in order to assist in cooling the stator (using full syn oil).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Throttle View Post
Like "trialsguy" said - NOT on a rear stand when you check the oil. On the wheels, held vertical, and level.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Like "trialsguy" said - NOT on a rear stand when you check the oil. On the wheels, held vertical, and level.
Rear Stand, Paddock stand, Race stand ALL hold the bike virtical...

fasteddie you are confused with SIDE stand

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Rear end is slightly higher when up on a rear stand, causing the oil level to show a bit lower than if down on the ground held up balanced... Also, a rear stand may hold the bike up at a slightly off vertical position.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:11 AM

Yep, even slightly off vertical makes a big difference. Your garage floor likely isn't level, either. Best way I have found is to bring the bike to balance point on it wheels.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM

I noticed that on my Versys too, the oil level rises when the engine is running. I always add more than 2 quarts, I like it to be close to the "max" line. This has resulted in a bit of oil being blown into the airbox, but not that much, I've never had to add oil in between the 7500mile oil changes.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Rear Stand, Paddock stand, Race stand ALL hold the bike virtical...

fasteddie you are confused with SIDE stand

AND they ALL hold the rear of the bike HIGHER than level!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
AND they ALL hold the rear of the bike HIGHER than level!

This could be resolved by using both a front and rear paddock though? (sad first post out of the newb area)

I HEARD YOU'RE IDEA'S AND THEIR DEFINATELY GOOD.
xkcd.com / 1238
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboyaz View Post
This could be resolved by using both a front and rear paddock though? (sad first post out of the newb area)
Not sure. I believe my T-REX stands raise the front a bit higher, but just stand on the right side (V on sidestand, in gear) then raise it to vertical and look down.

That's what I do, regularly.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Like I said, the paddock(s) may not hold the bike at a perfectly vertical position... Quit fooling around and just check the oil level with the bike on the ground and held up level.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM

I sometimes go a little overboard and use a little RV level I bought at Walmart and just put it on my tank, right on the filler cap and check the oil that way.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
the amount of time spent reading this thread equals the time spent checking the oil level for the life of the bike.
LOL You know what I'm talking about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode