Looked at a Versys 1000 Today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looked at a Versys 1000 Today

Do want, $12,799 + tax

Seat comfort and height, better than my '09 Versys. Couldn't ride it, but just sitting on it, bike feels very good, very comfortable. The dual stands, center and reg. kickstand are good.

The handguards are only half way, but, because of the way the fairing are, you could not put a full wrap handguard. The bags are decent size, however do not look easily replaceable, the ones from a Concours are larger though, but it is setup to install a decent size trunk.

Dealer started it and had it idling, the 4 is very quiet, even indoors, would probably want a louder exhaust.

From my thoughts, only farkles I could really see adding to it, heated grips, 12v socket, trunk, sliders for the front, fuse block and maybe fog lights. Otherwise, it's a very good value I think.

The one my dealer had is the burnt orange/matte black, not really a fan of that color, they will have an all black model in a couple of weeks.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Saw the black one today. It is metalflake. Decent looking bike. Jumped back and forth from a '14 V to the '15 650. Felt the same to me. Better suspension and brakes from the looks of things. With the prices of used and leftover bikes, I will be not looking for new unless it is something very unique and limited numbers.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:12 PM

Are they willing to take an offer from the MRSP?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

I don't know, since it's brand new model, they may not have much room to haggle. MSRP is $12,799 was also the price on the sticker. I wonder what the price would be with the Costco member discount.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 07:59 AM

Got to sit on both new 650 and 1000 models at the Dallas cycle show. Both are very nice. If I wanted to go back to a bigger bike, the 1000 would be on the short list.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
I don't know, since it's brand new model, they may not have much room to haggle. MSRP is $12,799 was also the price on the sticker. I wonder what the price would be with the Costco member discount.
Someone posted a link recently that will get you a $500 discount. I think there's a $750 if you're active or retired military too.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:58 AM

Let the rich guys get theirs at full price and work out the bugs. When the Super Tenere came out they wouldn't budge. Now you can buy a new leftover for less than $10k.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Let the rich guys get theirs at full price and work out the bugs. When the Super Tenere came out they wouldn't budge. Now you can buy a new leftover for less than $10k.
You may get lucky like that, but I think the V1K is going to appeal to a much larger audience than the Tenere.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:24 AM

Why? The Super Tenere has something most of the other bikes don't . . . shaft drive.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Someone posted a link recently that will get you a $500 discount. I think there's a $750 if you're active or retired military too.
It sounds good on paper, but they just jack the dealer cost, transportation, ... costs up on you, sometimes more than with no discount at all. Some dealers enjoy "baiting and switching" bargain hunters. In motorcycles, if you buy new, you are going to get screwed, at least $2000 (unless you are highly expert salesperson yourself)!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Why? The Super Tenere has something most of the other bikes don't . . . shaft drive.
The V1K is a svelte sport tourer made for tall people, but can be readily adapted for the rest of us. The Tenere looks like Dr Frankenstein's version of a dirt bike. I don't have a lot of public trails around these parts, but even if I did, I don't know why I'd buy a behemoth like that to attempt to navigate them.

OTOH, I have been riding sport touring bikes or standards turned into sport touring bikes most of my adult life. And the V1K looks like a gem to me. And if you're not riding in the rain or dirt much, that chain and sprockets would probably last more than 10k miles if you never touched them.

There was a guy on a sport forum who claimed he never maintained chains and he seemed to get just as much life as everyone else who was meticulous about their maintenance. All I know for sure is I've owned a bunch of bikes with shafts and chains and neither seem like a big chore to me. My only advice on chain drives is to stick with steel sprockets as the aluminum ones chew teeth off fast.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM

I don't think any of the big bikes are really designed for off road. They are just big adventure touring bikes that will see dirt and gravel roads at the worst. The Super Tenere is pretty heavy. I think the Versys 1000 weighs about 30 labs less.

Shaft appeals to me but I don't have a problem with chains. Put a Scottoiler on it and forget it. I have one on the Versys and the KLR.

I would like to see a comparison of these big adventure touring bikes, weight, performance, price, etc.

Does the Versys 1000 have a low fender like the 650? This is a real problem for any bike that will see mud.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
And cruise control on the '14 and newer.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:18 AM

When touring and commuting a shaft drive is a godsend. With a chain you have to carry a can of chain lube and rags, it's always messy and sometimes it rains, do you feel like going out in the rain to the hotel's parking lot to lube the chain? Eff that!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 AM

Spent some time with the 1000 at the Dallas show, and was favorably impressed with it.
Also found I liked the gen 3 650 better than I had imagined.
Either one would be a fine ride, but the price of the 1000 seems like less of a bargain when you consider working upwards of list, with fees and taxes all in.

2014 Valkyrie 1800
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
When touring and commuting a shaft drive is a godsend. With a chain you have to carry a can of chain lube and rags, it's always messy and sometimes it rains, do you feel like going out in the rain to the hotel's parking lot to lube the chain? Eff that!
Or get a automatic chain oiler like Scottoiler. Buddies on a '99 KLR with Scottoiler made it to Ushuaia, about 10k miles. Adjusted chain once. Chain and sprockets still look new. Most of the other bikers they met were on 2nd or 3rd chain and sprockets.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
It sounds good on paper, but they just jack the dealer cost, transportation, ... costs up on you, sometimes more than with no discount at all. Some dealers enjoy "baiting and switching" bargain hunters. In motorcycles, if you buy new, you are going to get screwed, at least $2000 (unless you are highly expert salesperson yourself)!
Does your employer give things away at cost? Why would you considered getting paid to perform a service getting screwed?

You don't need to be a salesperson to negotiate. You can offer a price that you feel is reasonable and if the dealer agrees a deal will get done. If he thinks he can do better than your offer, he'll send you on your way. That's capitalism.

For me there is nothing to bait and switch. The bike I wan't costs $12800. With a coupon he'll get $12300. If the bike sits all summer and I decide to buy it in Oct, I'd offer considerably less.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Does your employer give things away at cost? Why would you considered getting paid to perform a service getting screwed?

You don't need to be a salesperson to negotiate. You can offer a price that you feel is reasonable and if the dealer agrees a deal will get done. If he thinks he can do better than your offer, he'll send you on your way. That's capitalism.

For me there is nothing to bait and switch. The bike I wan't costs $12800. With a coupon he'll get $12300. If the bike sits all summer and I decide to buy it in Oct, I'd offer considerably less.
Dealers tell me 50% of the bikes price is Net Revenue, but includes all overhead costs for the most part (single oem dealers have it tougher than multiple oem dealers for sure.) I offer to help pay their overhead, and don't have time to waste haggling. New used bikes are an expedient alternative plan. There is lots of cost efficiency slippage just dealing with an oem dealer to begin with for most services.

It is not a dealer's right to get my business: they have to earn it! If you got the money and want the latest and greatest and want to support the owner's lifestyle, good deal: they are worth the price. Personally, I've had the big fast heavy 110 hp+ bikes: for me, 650cc to 750cc is a perfect size bike. ymmv

Last edited by kawdog; 01-31-2015 at 04:27 PM.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Or get a automatic chain oiler like Scottoiler. Buddies on a '99 KLR with Scottoiler made it to Ushuaia, about 10k miles. Adjusted chain once. Chain and sprockets still look new. Most of the other bikers they met were on 2nd or 3rd chain and sprockets.
Ha ha, I might have to reconsider one of those Scottoiler's. My new 8K mile 2012 bike needs one. Either the PO did not do any maintenance (he was married to a hot French woman) or it was adjusted wrong. Anyway, it has a stiff spot on the chain, but the sprockets are not worn at all.

The small chain size needs something to counteract it's size to power ratio stresses
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Dealers tell me 50% of the bikes price is Net Revenue,
I think you mean salespeople, because whoever told you this doesn't know a thing about accounting.

Revenue is the money brought into a business. 100% of any bike sold is revenue.

Profit = Revenues - Costs. If they told you they are getting new V1Ks for $6500, they are clueless.

I've seen the dealer costs on several Harley models. Harleys have a MUCH higher than avg profit margin. They ranged from about ~$2k on $15k Dynas to $5k on top of the line touring bikes. But even ~$5k on a $30k bike is only a 16.6% markup.

But that's just the cost of the bike. Then there are the overhead costs of which you mentioned that will shrink the profit margin considerably. The profits after all those costs are the reward for the business owner. People don't risk their capital funding a business, not to get paid. If a business can't make a profit, they won't be a business for long.

Selling motorcycles is a gamble. You buy some and hope they all sell near MSRP. That rarely happens. The electric, insurance, employees, bank and everyone else in the overhead line wants to be paid regardless. Since no one knows ahead of time how many will sell for how much, there is no way that one could pin an overhead number to a given bike's price. But even if they did, that does not take into account for any reward for the business owners.

The reason you see big mark downs on leftover bikes at the end of the year is because the manufacturers extend the dealers rebates to help get them out of the showrooms to make room for the current models. Those rebates aren't guaranteed. My local dealer is selling Polaris Slingshots faster than he can get them in the door. You can rest assured he isn't marking them down a nickle and since he can't keep one long enough to sit on the showroom floor, he won't be getting end of year rebates to pass along either. If you want one, better count on paying retail or settling for something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode