If you had only ONE chance to make all the adjustments... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you had only ONE chance to make all the adjustments...

...what would you do?

I will be coming back to the states for Christmas, and have put a deposit down to get the first 2009 that arrives at the dealership where my family lives in NC. So basically, when I get "home" for a week, my new Versys will be waiting on me - a 2009, only 2 months old, and not a single mile on it! Here's the catch. I will be home for only ONE week, so no time to test it out, work out the bugs and figure out what I would like to change. This means I have to order all of the things necessary ahead of time and make all the changes before I ship her out!

Soooo...I would like to take advantage of all the valuable information and experiences here. What would be the basic things that you would change, add, subtract or adjust on your Versys if you had to do it all in only one week? This would include making adjustments to things that don't work so well such as a new seat, dropping 9lbs of weight with a new slip-on, changing out the windshield for something with more protection, adjusting minor issues that could turn into bigger problems or pre-adjusting things that tend to break for other owners, etc...

Let's see if we can't come up with a good list of NECESSARY adjustments, changes and modifications. I'd like to stay away from the extra crap like navigation, custom paint jobs and coffee cup holders...haha

I'll start with what I KNOW will be changed:

1. Original seat to Corbin seat
2. Stock windshield to custom wider/taller windshield
3. Shorter bar-ends (any advice on how/where?)
4. Bike cover and kickstand plate
5. Luggage racking and hard-cases (any advice on the best options?)
6. PIAA lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:17 PM

I think you have a pretty good start.

- Hard lugagge and rack I would go with Givi either the V35 with PLX rack or regular rack and E41 (That's what I have)
- Kickstand plate, look at Speedy's (he has a post on it hear)
- Might need mirror wideners (Again speedy or Twisted throttle)
- Crash bar (Hepco and Becker)

I think you will be well covered.

I don't know where your shipping, but if you are anywhere near Europe, you will be able to get a lot more parts for the Versys over there.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
I think you have a pretty good start.

- Hard lugagge and rack I would go with Givi either the V35 with PLX rack or regular rack and E41 (That's what I have)
- Kickstand plate, look at Speedy's (he has a post on it hear)
- Might need mirror wideners (Again speedy or Twisted throttle)
- Crash bar (Hepco and Becker)

I think you will be well covered.

I don't know where your shipping, but if you are anywhere near Europe, you will be able to get a lot more parts for the Versys over there.
Thanks for starting the list, actar! I am going to build it up as this thread goes along (if there is more input). As for shipping, I am sending it to Colombia, South America!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 PM

I hate to be the proverbial wet towel, but the Versys is a pretty darn good bike as it comes from Kawasaki. If you have issues with tall-ish bikes, Speedy's kit is great. Speedy's GPS mount is also gear if you need it.

I honestly cannot think of any particular modification that is essential. Despite what you read on the forums, the seat might not be bad for you. It is fine for me. Hard bags or soft bags, yes. Tail bag or tank bag, yes. If you plan to ride long distances, the Kaoko throttle lock is very nice. A larger windscreen might be a good idea, too. Other than that, get it and ride it. Of course, if you plan to ride in the North Carolina mountains in the winter, you might have limited opportunities as a result of weather. Different tires maybe?
HTH
d
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danomar View Post
I hate to be the proverbial wet towel, but the Versys is a pretty darn good bike as it comes from Kawasaki. If you have issues with tall-ish bikes, Speedy's kit is great. Speedy's GPS mount is also gear if you need it.

I honestly cannot think of any particular modification that is essential. Despite what you read on the forums, the seat might not be bad for you. It is fine for me. Hard bags or soft bags, yes. Tail bag or tank bag, yes. If you plan to ride long distances, the Kaoko throttle lock is very nice. A larger windscreen might be a good idea, too. Other than that, get it and ride it. Of course, if you plan to ride in the North Carolina mountains in the winter, you might have limited opportunities as a result of weather. Different tires maybe?
HTH
d
Thanks danomar, I like the Kaoko throttle lock idea and was already hip to a better windscreen and bags. As for the riding, it will be a one-way trip from NC so not too worried - the bike will be located in South America only a few days later!

This is my current bike, and a little bit of a view close to where I live:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0442 (Large).jpg (71.7 KB, 276 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:20 PM

I have a Corbin seat on order and a Kaoko throttle lock coming also. I already have a GIVI windscreen (love it!) and some Cortech Sport soft saddlebags. I can't do the ugly aluminum panniers look. Too BMW for me. But everybody has different style. The only other thing is a set of Grip Puppies (a soft foam grip liner), they are very nice (and cheap) addition. Other than this, the V is ready to roll.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Stoned...and everyone else.

So if anyone is reading this thread anymore, what about list of minor modifications that have accumulated since release that people have found necessary? Such as the vibration of the dash gauges, clutch cable catching, etc...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 11:12 AM

Fix the buzz in gauges.
See http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1625 for some great photos of where to add 3mm rubber foam padding.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 02:03 PM

I agree the Versys is pretty good right out of the box, most of the stuff I did or added was to make it more comfortable or whatever, not really needed.

KTM handguards are nice.
Still chasing windshields, going with Madstad adjustable and V-strom shield
H&B crash bars have been tested by some riders ( I have mine on)
Corbin seat is nice
Peg lowering blocks (made my own) I understand buell uly pegs fit
Fender extenda (protection that may or may not be needed)
Radiator guard (again maybe over protection)
Hugger (keeps road spray off electrics in rear under seat)
SS braided brake lines (not sure if needed but I really like mine)
SW-Motech pannier racks (first class design and quick detachable)
Givi Panniers (habit forming to carry junk and will hold a fullface helmet barely)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0008.JPG (265.4 KB, 64 views)

07 K1200GT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)

Last edited by versys_guy; 10-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Quote:
Originally Posted by danomar View Post

HTH
d
I can second this opinion speedys mount is great period. I would leave the handle bars how they are and maybe get a givi windshield. Thats about it and the lights i cant wait to get mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode