Track stands - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Track stands

Do you guys use just a rear stand or do you use both front and rear? If just the rear what method do you use to change a front tire? Which is the preferred front stand, the triple tree or axle lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 11:06 AM

Garage
I got both and the front is axle lift
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
Do you guys use just a rear stand or do you use both front and rear? If just the rear what method do you use to change a front tire? Which is the preferred front stand, the triple tree or axle lift?
I have T-Rex stands, both ends, PLUS the extra piece that goes up into the lower "triple" for changing front tires, changing fork oil, etc.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I never got up the nerve to use the front fork stands but love the triple tree stand & paddock stand in back. As an added bonus...the bike seems to take less space in my garage when it's on the stands
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys..... getting ready for the '15, it's gonna be a great ride. I think I agree with the triple tree front, seems like front tire maint. will be easier

Last edited by BEACHBUM; 01-26-2015 at 03:52 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 PM

I have the same setup as Freddy does. Works great, in fact my poot frozen Versys is "On The Stands" right now. The T-Rex may not be as Chi Chi as the Pitbull brand is BUT they are cheaper and I've never had a bit of trouble from them.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 PM

i'm the same as same as fasteddie and the time, three pieces. rear stand for chain/wheel, add front axle stand for front wheel, plus steering head adapter for pulling forks. four pieces if you include the single-sided swingarm stand. chichi pit bull for this guy.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also use paddock stands, front and rear. If you only want to get one front, get the one that lifts from the triple as it'll allow you to do fork maintenance as well. There will be a lot of opinions on brands, but you can't go wrong with Pitbull.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone tried the stands from discount ramps? I think they are called black widow
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 11:15 AM

I have all 3 pit bull stand. bought them all on Craigslist. highest I paid for one is $65 that was the triple tree stand. The rear I bought with another front stand for $120 sold the front stand for $90. My under the fork front stand was only $50. My total for all 3 stands is $145, that's what 1 rear stands sell for new. Just watch for the deals to come up.

. The ones I find I use the most are the rear then the front lower fork stand. hardly ever use the triple tree stand. I have even lowered my cost when on all these as bought some as front and rear package deals then sold off the rear stands for $80 and they sold quick at this price. Hard to beat the pit bulls for durability. They will be around longer then most of my motorcycles.
My friend has a few and one of them hes been using for over 12 years. still as solid as the day it was bought. He has 8 motorcycles and his family rides at least 5 of them every week. so the bikes get a lot of maintenance to keep them in top shape

Last edited by Motojunkee; 01-28-2015 at 11:33 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
Not sure if these are close but just offer $50 and see what they say.
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/search/mpa?query=pit+bull
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:45 AM

I bought one of those stand where you can be used for both the front and the rear. they come in handy.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 09:04 PM

I have Pitbull front and rear stands. They are great. I have the newfront stand which is convertible from the fork stand to the triple tree. For removing a front wheel, the fork stand is fine (with the rear in place, of course). But, if you're only going to buy one type of front stand, get the triple stand as it can be used for everything.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Harbour Freight....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I got Front and Back Race stands made in Australia by Anderson Stands
I got them in Black powercoat - cause my V is all black.

http://andersonstands.com/

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 10:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have T-Rex stands, both ends, PLUS the extra piece that goes up into the lower "triple" for changing front tires, changing fork oil, etc.
What extra piece are you referring to? My triple tree seems to just have a 1" pipe that no triple tree stand pins will work with… maybe I'm missing something, but is there some kind of adapter that I need to install in there?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM

I use Pit-bull stands last stand you will ever have to buy will last for ever. I have 4 stands. 2 front and 2 rear . as I have multiple motorcycles.
The most I have ever paid for any of them used is $65
My go to pair for the versys
Front stand is the standard under the forks.

For the rear I like the forward handle design. with the spools

Or if this is used on another motorcycle. I use the Standard rear. Handle hits rear fender reflector when going to set up the stand. this Stand can work with spooled or regular swing arms depending on how you set the top mounts.

The other front stand is an old tripple clamp lift. only thing I dont like is removing the motorcycle off this as the lifting bar comes out of the lower stem and may hit the front fender.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebel View Post
What extra piece are you referring to? My triple tree seems to just have a 1" pipe that no triple tree stand pins will work with… maybe I'm missing something, but is there some kind of adapter that I need to install in there?
Here's a link to the T-Rex stands:

Front and Rear Motorcycle Stand TRex Racing

and here's a link to the 'triple-tree' ones:

Black TRex Front Triple Tree and Rear Motorcycle

The front stand (as in the first link) has two pieces that 'cradle' the lower forks. These are removeable and then REPLACED w/ the piece that is ABOVE the pins w/ "cotter-pins" for when you want to raise the front leaving the wheel free to be removed.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...The front stand (as in the first link) has two pieces that 'cradle' the lower forks. These are removeable and then REPLACED w/ the piece that is ABOVE the pins w/ "cotter-pins" for when you want to raise the front leaving the wheel free to be removed.
Thanksfor the links!

Tho I really was mostly looking for an explanation as to why most of these stands come with what looks like a standard pin kit, but my bike has an enormous pipe where a little pin hole should be.

What I've gotten from other threads is that the '08 V does, in fact, need a 27mm pin. I'm glad to know it's the way the bike should be, not something the previous owner did to the front end!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode