Has anyone ever painted a brand new Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ever painted a brand new Versys?

I was in at a dealer today checking out the new Versys 650.
We only get the black version in Australia but i'm not a big fan of the glossy tank, fairing, rear side covers and front guard. To me it would look much better if the whole bike was painted in the same satin black as the lower fairing ( The bit with Kawasaki Versys on it as seen here http://kawasaki.com.au/motorcycles/s...versys-650-abs ).

I think the glossy parts look tacky and cheap next to the satin black parts and it would look much better and meaner all in satin.
Maybe it would be a bit harder to get the bugs off the satin paint but i've had bikes this colour before and it wasn't really an issue.
So I think i'll do it when I get mine in February or March (i'm waiting for the 2015 build date and I need to sell 4 other bikes first).
So has anyone else got a new bike, Versys or other, painted when brand new because you didn't like the colour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, i've got about 5 cans of black plasti-dip left over from another experiment. This stuff isn't very robust for motorcycle use as you have problems where your legs rub on the tank and you cannot spill a drop of fuel on it. I was thinking more of a permanent spray job but the plasti-dip would be good for people who wanted to try different colours before making the commitment of a re-spray.
Yep, will post some pics up for sure.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My flat or satin black tank on the '11 is now shiny because I waxed it to protect it when using a tank bag. I wonder if that is why they decided to go gloss on the tank.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
my versys is actually so far the only bike i HAVEN'T painted xD

you should flat black the bike
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:58 AM

For Replacement Value, it would be a huge expense to make it look like a stolen bike. Oem bikes have nice paint jobs, and you are not even changing a color: only a texture.

Like someone referenced, there may be a good reason for the textures offered. I've only had one black bike, and it was repainted (gloss black.) It was not dry yet in a couple of months after repainting before I waxed it, and it was perpetually soft paint afterwards. Black paint highlights all imperfections. Good luck!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
For Replacement Value, it would be a huge expense to make it look like a stolen bike. Oem bikes have nice paint jobs, and you are not even changing a color: only a texture.

Like someone referenced, there may be a good reason for the textures offered. I've only had one black bike, and it was repainted (gloss black.) It was not dry yet in a couple of months after repainting before I waxed it, and it was perpetually soft paint afterwards. Black paint highlights all imperfections. Good luck!
Sounds like you got a dud paint job on your bike if it was not dry after a couple of months. Gloss black highlights scratches and scuffs more than satin black does. Flat black looks crappy all the time because it marks so easily and everything sticks to it. Satin black is a good in-between texture imho.
If it was just a base gloss black paint it would probably look alright to me, but it's got a metallic flake through it. I do like the green version we don't get here though.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM

My buddy is a paint rep for a major company and said any Matt finish will burnish or gloss if you wax it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer88 View Post
My buddy is a paint rep for a major company and said any Matt finish will burnish or gloss if you wax it.
Your mate is right, the wax fills the textured surface giving a smooth shiny appearance. If I paint it in satin black I won't be waxing it that's for sure.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 AM

You think the gloss finish on a brand new bike looks cheap? Wait till you try to paint it yourself.

Unless you're going to have it professionally done - don't even think about it.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:51 AM

You might look into having it shot with a satin clear coat by someone who has the right gear.

I replaced most of the plastics on my Buell with white parts, it was far cheaper than painting, soon after getting the bike.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:36 PM

Garage
From this

Painted these

now it looks like this

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
You think the gloss finish on a brand new bike looks cheap? Wait till you try to paint it yourself.

Unless you're going to have it professionally done - don't even think about it.
How do you know what my painting skills are like??
For your info I have painted several motorcycles and a car in the spray booth where I worked as a mechanic. And they were proper spray jobs, not just the average backyard versions.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
You might look into having it shot with a satin clear coat by someone who has the right gear.

I replaced most of the plastics on my Buell with white parts, it was far cheaper than painting, soon after getting the bike.
Yeah I considered a satin clear coat but the paint is metallic, which i'm not a fan of.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 AM

Many vinyl rap their new motors here in Thailand. I changed the color of my bike a little as it was too white. I changed the fender to black and the side trims under the seat to black. Looks a little better in my opinion. Parts are very cheap here so not so bad if you want to change parts etc.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKPhil View Post
Many vinyl rap their new motors here in Thailand. I changed the color of my bike a little as it was too white. I changed the fender to black and the side trims under the seat to black. Looks a little better in my opinion. Parts are very cheap here so not so bad if you want to change parts etc.
Yes the vinyl wrap is great, it protects the original paint as well.
This was my very first thought till I took a look at the fairing, that would be very hard to cover properly with all the mad angles.
The tank, front fender and side covers would be do-able but I would hate to even try rapping that fairing.
I was in Thailand back in June last year and I just loved the way they mod everything over there. Even the Taxis and Tuk Tuks were pimped out to the max.
The Honda Groms with the Ducati Monster kits on them were a real eye opener also.

Last edited by whitey66; 01-19-2015 at 05:04 AM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My flat or satin black tank on the '11 is now shiny because I waxed it to protect it when using a tank bag. I wonder if that is why they decided to go gloss on the tank.
Agreed, my '10 had the satin tank and after a while it looked like crap, sections of it were shiny doe to friction with my clothes and tank bag, others were still satin looking. I like the gloss finish on the newer bikes.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
MaverickAus - BEAUTY!!!

- -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:41 PM

Garage
Thanks, I like it
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey66 View Post
How do you know what my painting skills are like??
For your info I have painted several motorcycles and a car in the spray booth where I worked as a mechanic. And they were proper spray jobs, not just the average backyard versions.
So what's your question then ....?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan View Post
So what's your question then ....?
My original question was this - "So has anyone else got a new bike, Versys or other, painted when brand new because you didn't like the colour?"

Your answer was this - "You think the gloss finish on a brand new bike looks cheap? Wait till you try to paint it yourself.
Unless you're going to have it professionally done - don't even think about it."

My reply to you was this - "How do you know what my painting skills are like??
For your info I have painted several motorcycles and a car in the spray booth where I worked as a mechanic. And they were proper spray jobs, not just the average backyard versions."

Your reply was - "So what's your question then ....?"

Looks pretty straight forward to me but if I missed something i'm sure you'll let me know.
I don't seem to see where I said something along the lines of " I'm going to paint a brand new Versys has anyone got any tips for painting it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode