2015 "Upgrades" - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 "Upgrades"

Well, the microfiches for the 2015 650 are out there and I went looking for "upgrades" for my 2014 and I've noticed a few "differences" on the 2015...

- Engine mounts. I hoped the new robber damped front engine mounts would be compatible with the older ones, but the frame was revised where the front engine mounts bolt in, so the new rubber mounts are not backwards compatible with the older ones.

- Passenger footpegs are now part of the frame, no longer removable. Good or bad?

- New smaller and lighter Bosch Gen 9 ABS pump, it was time for an update.

- The forks, as said before, are completely different. Left one has the spring and no cartridge, right one does all compression and rebound damping. Rear shock gained the remote preload ajuster and lost the damping adjustment?

- Regulator is no longer hanging in front of the rear wheel, has been moved into the front cowling.

- Foglights, heated grips and gear position indicator are listed as accesories.

- All of them now have an O2 sensor.

- Evap canister on CA model is now nicely hidden under the fairing.

- Airbox has been redesigned, washable air filter is a thing of the past. Hard to tell from the microfiche, but looks like the airbox was redesigned to be "shorter" as the air filter is now horizontal.Probably that's how they gained the extra tank capacity, the airbox is not as tall.

Now for some interesting parts:

- Stator, it has a part number different to anything else, no other Kawasaki uses that stator. I think it has higher output capacity than before, which would be needed for the new OEM accesory fog lights. The generator cover carries the same part number, so the new stator should fit.

- Regulator, new part! Used on 2014+ Ninja 1000 and Z1000, also uzed on the 2013 Z800. Probably MOSFET?

- Damped handlebar. The difference is in the top triple tree, it now has rubber mounts to the handlebar risers, like any other bike made in the last 30 years. Obviously you'd need the top triple tree, both risers and the clamp. The lower triple tree for some reason has a different part number too much money to replace the whole thing! I guess that will have to wait until parts become available on e-bay, new they are too expensive to experiment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Great info, thanks!

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for sharing your research. Not enough changes to have me trade in my '11 on one.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM

Great job! Thanks for sharing your due diligence
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:26 AM

I'm curious about that high output stator and regulator- those are usually dirt cheap on eBay. May have to take the plunge and bust out the 'ol multimeter.

Isn't the gear position indicator just like a GiPro?

2014 Versys ABS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
I'm curious about that high output stator and regulator- those are usually dirt cheap on eBay. May have to take the plunge and bust out the 'ol multimeter.

Isn't the gear position indicator just like a GiPro?
Actually, the OEM gear position indicator for the MK1 and MK2 Versys were GiPro units, the new one works just like the GiPro but it is branded by Kawasaki.

I'm more interested on the new R/R, should make for a nice upgrade without the hassle of the controller circuit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode