New Versys, New Member, Old (seat) question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

New Versys, New Member, Old (seat) question

Hey all,

I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone on the forum for the great advice you all post. I bought a new '09 Versys last weekend, and I am seeing why you and the press all love this bike.

I attached a picture of my bike, with my son on it, gettin ready for his first ride. (Not me in the picture - my good friend who helped negotiate the sale).

I have gone thru about two tanks of gas so far (400 miles or so) since Sunday, and I am understanding the "seat" issue everyone complains about.

I just dropped a load of cash on the bike itself; I'd have a hard time persuading my wife for another major expenditure like a new (corbin) seat. I know there are other threads out there about the seat, but I'd like to ask this specific question: does anyone have experience with the seat cushions we see at motorcycle shops and online (Airhawks comes to mind). Id rather spend no more than $150, and I see cushions can run between 60 and 150 or so.

Do you find that security is an issue? i.e. can you install the cushion without worring someone will swipe it off your bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Lots of threads on mods to the seat, not expensive to fix.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

SJLantry

My seat only cost me below USD 30 and its custom made..Its better to have the cusion work done to your liking than to buy one of those expensive seat.

Hope this helps and dont worry about your seat been swept off your bike. Its has a lock..remember.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys seat 003.jpg (316.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Versys seat 004.jpg (389.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Versys seat 002.jpg (367.1 KB, 72 views)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 AM

I use a sheep skin on my Corbin and I lock it up when I am leaving the bike for very long. I tried several pads with the stock seat and they didn't help very much. Look at some of the suggested mods and see if you are comfortable doing them. You might also catch a used seat on here at some point.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 AM

As to price, be sure to check out the site www.greatdaytoride.com; he does modifications to Versys' seats at very reasonable prices.

pegrider

"It is the journey, in the end."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 AM

Try http://greatdaytoride.com without the ;

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Different solutions for different people. I left my saddle stock and for the most part acclimated to it. But w/that said Iím still more comfortable w/a sheep skin pad. There are also grippy pads available that stick to the tank that grip your knees to eliminate sliding forward during braking.
Iím not pointing fingers or trying to insult anyone here so please donít take what Iím saying out of context, but many of us are programmed to not be happy w/what we purchase. It starts w/the ads that dominate the enthusiast magazines we have been reading since we were kids. Buy this ,add more power, the [paid] experts tested such and such product and they said ďitís a must haveĒ Just read the posts on these forums and you will notice how important changing/accessorizing/ farkles is to some folks. You will see them identifying themselves by what they have added or changed on their machines. Comedian Tim Allen found a comedic base w/his characterís mindset on the old American TV show ďTool TimeĒ, [some of you will remember.] He could never leave something as- is. He had to add 20HP or paint flames to everything. Now donít confuse legitimate additions and modifications that people do that are truly valid to what Iím saying here. Now Iíve got to be careful here myself because I have added stuff to my Versys also. I use it in bad weather so I installed heated grips and hand guards. [Hippo Hands if itís really cold] I will be ordering some heated apparel soon. I installed a full Givi system V35 panniers and a E51 top box. An old Oxford tank bag was transplanted from a previous bike to the V too, but I needed a way to haul all the stuff. I knew sooner or later Iím going to drop the damn thing so I put an engine guard on it too. But to suit the way I use this bike I need this stuff. Future mods will be suspension upgrades if I canít sort out some of my perceived shortcomings. These are to me justifiable purchases. What I have not spent absolutely insane amounts of money on is replacing a perfectly good exhaust system, or trying to change a very nice power curve. Iíd be interested in hearing how some of you folks feel about this subject.
Jeff B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM

I have thought about the exhaust, but I don't want it to be loud and I don't see spending that kind of money to get a couple more ponies. I did have to get a seat...the low gel seat held me too far forward and the stock seat killed my hips and tail bone. The Corbin has solved most of my seating problems...a sheep skin has it just about right. As for other additions mine probably has about the same stuff that Mountain Man's has. I added the hard case and I use them most every day. I added case guards after dropping it. The Givi wind screen eliminates a lot of work at highway speeds. Braided brake lines make the brakes much firmer...still a bit wooden. I have either added things because I needed them or just wanted them. I am just about out of stuff to add, so I might have to add another bike.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

I raised the front of my seat about 9/16" (do a search) then added a Stearns ATV seat pad which I bought at WalMart for about $20. Works fine for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V seat.jpg (523.4 KB, 83 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Plus 1 on the sheep skin pad-but don't get one with gel. When you park your bike on a hot day the gel will heat up and stay hot and gently fry the family jewels.

On long days, over 500miles I use an Airhawk and the dead sheep.

Advantage of both of these routes in the unlikely event you ever sell your V you can move both to the new bike-or if you are lucky enough to own more than one bike!

Machog

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 PM

I wish i had taken pictures!

I was planning to, but my camera froze... Anyway, what was the question?

Seat;
I looked at multiple solutions on this site, and I put on several hundred miles before realizing that I wasn't going to get accustomed to it; it just plain doesn't work for me. It's not just braking, but I feel like I am sliding forward the whole time I am riding.

After looking at several posts here, and printing out their pictures, I decided to modify my own. I pulled out the staples, and added a layer of padding; 1/2 inch of really dense foam, and another 1 inch of poly batting under the front part of the seat; under the stock foam. I didn't cut or modify the foam at all; so it can go right back to stock if I want it to. I had the padding material lying around, and had to buy a $4 box of short staples. The whole thing took about an hour or so, I'd guess. Thde only tool required; a staple gun. The stock seat cover is thin and stretchy, so it went back over the new foam perfectly. You wouldn't know it was modified at all unless you really knew these bikes or had a stock one sitting right next to it. It's perfect for me now. Might or might not be perfect for anyone else, but it works great for me.

Search the site for SEAT MODS and you'll get a lot of low cost DIY options.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Different solutions for different people. I left my saddle stock and for the most part acclimated to it. But w/that said Iím still more comfortable w/a sheep skin pad. There are also grippy pads available that stick to the tank that grip your knees to eliminate sliding forward during braking.
Iím not pointing fingers or trying to insult anyone here so please donít take what Iím saying out of context, but many of us are programmed to not be happy w/what we purchase. It starts w/the ads that dominate the enthusiast magazines we have been reading since we were kids. Buy this ,add more power, the [paid] experts tested such and such product and they said ďitís a must haveĒ Just read the posts on these forums and you will notice how important changing/accessorizing/ farkles is to some folks. You will see them identifying themselves by what they have added or changed on their machines. Comedian Tim Allen found a comedic base w/his characterís mindset on the old American TV show ďTool TimeĒ, [some of you will remember.] He could never leave something as- is. He had to add 20HP or paint flames to everything. Now donít confuse legitimate additions and modifications that people do that are truly valid to what Iím saying here. Now Iíve got to be careful here myself because I have added stuff to my Versys also. I use it in bad weather so I installed heated grips and hand guards. [Hippo Hands if itís really cold] I will be ordering some heated apparel soon. I installed a full Givi system V35 panniers and a E51 top box. An old Oxford tank bag was transplanted from a previous bike to the V too, but I needed a way to haul all the stuff. I knew sooner or later Iím going to drop the damn thing so I put an engine guard on it too. But to suit the way I use this bike I need this stuff. Future mods will be suspension upgrades if I canít sort out some of my perceived shortcomings. These are to me justifiable purchases. What I have not spent absolutely insane amounts of money on is replacing a perfectly good exhaust system, or trying to change a very nice power curve. Iíd be interested in hearing how some of you folks feel about this subject.
Jeff B
Well said Jeff B...always justify your purchasing to your needs and not because someone has it or your are trying to build a image. As a stock unit the V is good, no complains for the $ i paid.
some of the mods I have done are justified to my use of the bike. Like the chain oiler and gear indicator which gives me a peace of mind during my ride.
No offence meant to any member in the forum..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode