I'm getting a hint of something - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting a hint of something

that is encouraging. In the beemer forums there is a constant flow of mechanical issues, some because the bikes have reached a "certain age", yet on later models they continue. The bikes are too complex. So on this forum I notice that the last posts are sometimes several days old. Either you guys are out riding ( kinda cold for that) or the durn things don't break down that much. I like it.....now if the '15s would just arrive.... really getting tired of German reliability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Yep, we're some happy clams here. Occasionally someone comes up with something other than what tire or windscreen to buy, but not very often.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My neighbors brand new BMW 1300s didn't get through it's first tank of gas before the recovery vehicle was called.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:54 PM

I owned a BMW bike for a while. I was dangerous to ride behind me, you might be hit with a shed part.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
that is encouraging. In the beemer forums there is a constant flow of mechanical issues, some because the bikes have reached a "certain age", yet on later models they continue. The bikes are too complex. So on this forum I notice that the last posts are sometimes several days old. Either you guys are out riding ( kinda cold for that) or the durn things don't break down that much. I like it.....now if the '15s would just arrive.... really getting tired of German reliability
BMW's are reliable, if you do the prescribed maintenance - $$$$

I like the F650 Rotax single (I still own an original 1997 SACHS rotax engine F650), but that is a brand BMW tried to bastardize since it pulled business away from its' $30K dinosaurs: so it sent those engines to be built in China (only the Japanese have been successful at that!)

A guy stuck his head out the window at a readlight today (after he was shadowing me), and yelled, "IS THAT A SPORTS TOURER? (w/the new Givi D410ST screen) I just shook my head yes (with sore gums from a gum scraping, ouch!) Everyone wants to know about my new Pearl Gold Metal-flake bike when they see it, and little do they know it was all I could (barely) afford for a new bike too (even buying it at Blue Book, w/6900 mi - 6 mos old.)

Between crotch rockets and cruisers, 85% of the market is looking for couple of upright standard bikes that can do it all. BMW F and G Rotax bikes are an alternative, but the Vs. 650 (any year) is just too much competition value and performance wise to hold a candle to. Sorry BMW
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:50 AM

BMWs are reliable if you sell them before the warranty is over. I know of too many P-Twin owners that have ended up replacing the engine... And the P-Twins happen to be the most reliable BMWs, the boxers are just, crap.

BMW owners are similar to HD owners, they can't see past the badge.

And the 650 thumper is not without issues, it has been in production for more than 15 years and they haven't bothered updating the stupid waterpump.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitor zero View Post
I owned a BMW bike for a while. I was dangerous to ride behind me, you might be hit with a shed part.
Here are three pics of a P-twin Beemer that I saw a few years back...... while riding my '09 V...

I KNOW that this does NOT speak to its reliability.

And here it is being "rescued", tho' I'm NOT sure that driver did any favors for the owner of that F800GS....

I ALWAYS wondered just HOW he 'parked' it like that...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 01:08 PM

I dog the living hell out of my Versys everywhere all times of the year. I put more miles on the clock than almost anyone else I know in a year and have never had an issue with my beloved bike. I keep up with the maintenance schedule, change the oil more often than recommended and make sure everything is lubed appropriately. Anything that's ever broken was my fault. A cluth cable (I didn't lube it) and a rear break master cylinder (being a hooligan in a field on road tires). The Versys's seem to be bomb proof and it seems to be the same for ER6N's as well.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 02:10 PM

BMW's are nice. The older ones were bricks.... several of mine went to the arctic circle and back more than once with no issues. My '09 Kawasaki is the "least refined" bike I have ever owned but has been as reliable as a hammer. It was also 1/2 the price of a BMW. I ended up adding the heated grips, wifi connectivity, navigation, communication, comfort seats, lights, adjustable wind protection, instrumentation that I wanted.

Current set-up

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 01-10-2015 at 02:16 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Nice Setup! You did a real class job for an ultimate sports tourer. I can certainly take a lot of notes from that photo!

What kind of seat is that? It doesn't dump down into the tank like most Jap stocker seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
BMW's are nice. The older ones were bricks.... several of mine went to the arctic circle and back more than once with no issues. My '09 Kawasaki is the "least refined" bike I have ever owned but has been as reliable as a hammer. It was also 1/2 the price of a BMW. I ended up adding the heated grips, wifi connectivity, navigation, communication, comfort seats, lights, adjustable wind protection, instrumentation that I wanted.

Current set-up
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Nice Setup! You did a real class job for an ultimate sports tourer. I can certainly take a lot of notes from that photo!

What kind of seat is that? It doesn't dump down into the tank like most Jap stocker seats.

It's a Seat Concepts Seat... From nearby Hemet California...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 05:44 PM

I had a 1150GS (used) years ago and it was the only BMW I'll ever own. If you want a Beemer make sure you can afford the chase crew.

I can't say if the problems I had were because the bike has been crashed, I don't know if it had been or not, Or the dealer doing the work was crewed by poor wrenches. OR if it was just bad luck. But it left a sour taste in my mouth. I do know a friend had the same model and he loved that bike and never had a bit of trouble with it. NOT even a flat!

NOW my Versys only has ONE problem....it 9 F degs out there and if I get too close to the bike it growls at me! BUT spring will be here sooner that we think and I'll be "Back in the Saddle" Again!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:03 PM

Affirmative on the seat concepts seat. It's the more firm version and I'm very happy with it. After posting that pic, I went out to the garage and dragged the bike out of its corner. It started without complaint (sitting since July 3) donned a helmet and some gloves and rode it around the neighborhood. I've never tried to list the mods before. These changes evolved over the past 5 years... I would not want to start over at this point. No aux lights as of yet...Remember you only have a total of 330 watts avail from the Gen 1 Versy 650 charging system.
  1. SW Moto Mirror Extenders
  2. Aprilia Tuono mirrors
  3. Fatfoot
  4. Seat concepts seat
  5. Steible horn
  6. Kisan TailBlazer
  7. Vista Cruise Throttle Lock
  8. Centec AP1 Fuse Block
  9. Ballistic lithium iron phosphate battery
  10. Heated Grips
  11. Digital Volt/Amp meter
  12. Powerlet outlet below seat for Vest
  13. Powerlet Phone charger
  14. Android phone mount
  15. Suzuki V-Strom handguards
  16. MRA windscreen
  17. Givi PL Racks & Kappa E21 side bags
  18. SW Mototech Top Rack & Pelican Case

Here it is in touring trim Up at the Cherahola Campground

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 01-10-2015 at 06:09 PM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:23 AM

The BMW reputation for reliability was created at a time when motorcycles in general were not reliable. Harleys, and Brit bikes were the alternatives. Ancient history. New BMW's break a lot. If they didn't have a three-year warranty they would lose most of their customer base. I almost bought an 800GS, on paper it's the perfect bike. In practice, not so much. So glad I bought the Versys.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
My friend has a BMW 1series SUV that just ran "out of warranty". It was leaking some oil, so he took it in to the dealer to be fixed.

His bill was $5,000 to fix the oil-leak in a Bimmer turbo I-4!!!

Seems to me you can BUY a brand-new Chev FI V8 'crate engine' for LESS...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here are three pics of a P-twin Beemer that I saw a few years back...... while riding my '09 V...

I ALWAYS wondered just HOW he 'parked' it like that...!

That's how you change the oil in the catalytic converter.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:32 PM

damn I want a green V so bad. I LOVE my '08 red...but that green.....it would match the others in the garage!

<----- Check Out My Blog!!!

2006 Ninja 500 - Bone Stock & Beautiful
2008 Versys - Farkled To The Max
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:21 AM

Talking

I do love my Versys .
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 AM

I've had my r1200RT boxer for a couple of years. It's a 2008 ex cop and had 60,000 on it when I got it.. I'm not gentle on my bikes, the Beemer has never let me down. I'd have a new one if they weren't double the price they should be.

Ian
Growing Older is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Mine was a '96 R1100RT. some of the problems I had were due to age, brittle wiring, and things wearing out. But BMW has a final drive problem they will not acknowledge, and issues with the splines the clutch rides on. Splines on some models can go as early as 30k. Check your rear wheel play at 6and 12, 3 and 9. More than 1/8" start to worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode