• 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By psych0hans
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Versys 650 LT Suspension/ Suspension Set Up

Can the new shock be retrofitted to the older models? I would love to have the preload adjuster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes it shoud be an easy swap. But you have to find a proper spot to mount the adjuster. What is wrong with the older model shock preloads anyway?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Can the new shock be retrofitted to the older models? I would love to have the preload adjuster!
Strikes me that (w/out knowing the co$t of the new Kawi shock...) you'd be further ahead replacing your shock w/ an aftermarket BETTER one.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Strikes me that (w/out knowing the co$t of the new Kawi shock...) you'd be further ahead replacing your shock w/ an aftermarket BETTER one.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

BTW kojack - BOTH my Vs have Yamaha R1 shocks.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Isn't the R1 shock not exactly plug and play?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
Isn't the R1 shock not exactly plug and play?
Correct. But by adding another spring and altering both ends from 10mm to (roughly) 12mm, you're done!

And, occasionally one comes up in the FOR SALE section.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Correct. But by adding another spring and altering both ends from 10mm to (roughly) 12mm, you're done!

And, occasionally one comes up in the FOR SALE section.
So, a shock that is not considered good enough for the R1 riders is a shock you are willing to buy? Are they that much cheaper than buying a made for the Versys shock?

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
So, a shock that is not considered good enough for the R1 riders is a shock you are willing to buy? Are they that much cheaper than buying a made for the Versys shock?
Suggest you try the SEARCH function for the R1 shock and spring. A LOT of us (inc "jdrocks") run R1 shocks. The Yam guys pull them off to put Ohlins on, so we get a PDG shock for a bargain price....

The R1 shock is GREAT - it has rebound damping, as well as BOTH high-speed and low-speed compression damping in addition to preload. I'll attach a .pdf of its instructions:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R1 shock copy 2.pdf (98.4 KB, 115 views)
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:26 PM

Suspension Set-up

I've viewed a few videos on YouTube with regard to suspension settings for the Versys LT. I've yet to find a sweet spot where the settings are good for most paved roads. I still feel too much wallow/pogo action in the front end, and dislike how much it dives when the front brakes are applied during spirited riding.

I would like member feedback about URLs and Videos regarding recommended suspension settings for this machine, and welcome comments from personal experience.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

My PERSONAL settings for my '15 650 - forks BACK to stock (6.5 turns CW from FULL SOFT), and installed my Yamaha R1 shock (13.8 kg/mm spring) to 'fix' the rear.

I'm 178# 'soaking-wet'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 04:41 PM

Garage
Set your sag first. Gustavo has a great thread. The 2015 has a shorter total suspension travel in the front at 6 inches, with available travel at 5 1/4 inches. I am 160 pounds, have my preload at min, and my rider sag is 1 1/2 inches or 25%.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums....html#post5725
Using the front and rear brakes together will drastically reduce nose dive, and a good habit to learn. Another alternative is to raise the level of fork oil and reduce the air gap.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:03 PM

Yep, I would start by setting sag to 1/4 - 1/3 of suspension travel and damping to mid-range.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
One man's thrash is another mans treasure... The guys who swap out their R1 shocks are generally track day riders or really aggressive street riders. Also, going from zero adjustment to some adjustment is definitely an improvement, albeit a small one...
quexpress likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:54 PM

Garage
I'm 160lbs without gear and I managed to work out the front dive a little bit by playing with the rebound and preload. The rear is still a pogo stick tho, I think I'll try backing out preload all the way to see if it helps.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:56 AM

I do like Eddie...........set to stock (settings are in the OM), back the rear shock off to softest setting and add four clicks to the front pre-load. I'm 5'9", 170 lbs. Most of my riding is solo with an OEM top case.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
One man's thrash is another mans treasure... The guys who swap out their R1 shocks are generally track day riders or really aggressive street riders. Also, going from zero adjustment to some adjustment is definitely an improvement, albeit a small one...
I would hazard to say that an R1 shock, IF it was made by "OHLINS", would be VERY pricey, so we get the benefit of an outstanding shock for a BARGAIN...!
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode