Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Should I buy a Versys/ Comparison/ FJ/VStrom

132K views 426 replies 135 participants last post by  RVerde 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all, I would like to hear your comments . I have owned 2 versys in the past. A 08 and a 09. Then went to a cruiser. Now thinking I want the new 650lt. Also thinking about the Yamaha FJ 09. Something about that inline 3 . What's yalls thoughts on the two? I'm 5'10'' and 250 lbs . I know the versys is a well capable machine since I have owned 2 of them. Thanks

#4 ·
That is definitly true of the FZ-09 but they've addressed the ping-pong suspension for the FJ-09 and the discriptions say it is much improved. I sat on an FZ not long ago and was appalled at the squishy suspension. :eek:

#7 ·
are we talking genuine PROBLEMS, or just complaints? big difference between the 2 in my mind. I'm not terribly surprised it's having some teething issues. even when it was introduced in 2009 the V was based of an existing engine and bike so a lot of the issues had already been resolved. the FZ and FJ are brand new from the ground up.

#6 · (Edited)
I think the 650LT will be hard to beat. $8700.00 WITH bags, hand guards, ABS, lowered pegs, they are moved forward some as well, And the seat is recontoured I was told. Plus the wind shield now has a couple of knobs to let you adjust it and the upgraded suspension and frame and wheels being stronger plus a few more ponys than last year....If I did not have a ton in my 2012 I'd buy one!

#10 ·
I loved the engine, hated the suspension. It had the power to weight of a 600 supersport, but made 20 more ft lbs. of torque. That thing would wheelie 1st, 2nd, and third will just a twist of the throttle. It was a lot of fun in a straight line. However, trying to ride the bike aggressively was perilous to say the least. The engine would over power the suspension very quickly in the turns. I could not justify spending over $1500 to bring the suspension up to par on a $8,000 motorcycle. But the engine is a work of art.

#22 · (Edited)
Or fly and buy. Gawd I luv me a falling yen! Unfortunately, I'm not in shape for flying or riding at this point, but I am still good at dreaming and drooling.

For those who haven't had the privilege, a triple engine is a many splendid thing. My wife and I rented a 955 for a tour thru BC. Undersprung as were most Triumphs at the time, but the engine was magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHEzkPY_PA&list=UUkYK__hfGtQMM4XjhQFV2DQ

As I noted in another thread, I do a fair amount of two up riding. That coupled with the fact that I like the V1K is more roomy and has a little more road hugging weight means my mind is pretty well set. I have nothing against Yami. I'll be trading in a FJR with about 60k miles on the clock for it. It has been as bullet proof and dependable as any machine has a right to be. Still, one look at the ergos of the two make it an easy decision for me.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Mode of transport

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

#26 · (Edited)
will likely sell versys next year, after one more trip. might be a while before i replace it, but right now, the FJ is at the top of the list.

So we went to the launch determined to see if Yamaha had addressed the suspension and fuel injection issues. Had they done so, we expected the FJ-09 to be stellar.

The suspension is fixed, as far as we can tell after one day’s ride. Yamaha did not take half measures. Without changing the spring rates, Yamaha said during its technical presentation that new valving in the fork made compression damping 50% stiffer and rebound damping 150% slower. The shock has 150% more compression damping, as well as slower rebound. These changes are big, but the suspension needed big changes.
Mind you, with proper fuel injection mapping and suspension, we expected the FJ to be awesome – without considering the other changes. Based on our initial ride, the FJ appears to be awesome. The suspension is dialed superbly. Despite the light weight and ultra-powerful motor, the suspension remains calm and composed, absorbing small, chatter bumps, but staying high in the stroke and minimizing excessive brake dive and acceleration squat. The suspension is very, very good.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/12/2015-yamaha-fj-09-md-first-ride-part-2/

next topic....

#29 ·
Years ago I would agree with you that power is everything and anything else is secondary. But for me a well balanced motorcycle is more important. It seems yamaha has sorted out the suspension and made the fj09 much more balanced compared to the fz.

#35 ·
Good video. An informed review from someone who is familiar with the shortcomings of the FZ 09. At 3 mins 30 secs the reviewer who raves about the versys in a separate report, discusses the versys, and then the suspension. The report also details his preliminary impressions about the vast improvement over the FZ. His first ride opinion is shared by most if not all of the other journalists who have released their reports. I love my versys but.......

Video for revzilla youtube yamaha fj 09► 7:18► 7:18

Dec 23, 2014 - Uploaded by RevZilla
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 Test Ride http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2015- yamaha-fj-09 ...

#36 ·
I love my versys but.......
If you read the article, he also says:

"There is still an abrupt difference between on and off throttle, especially in the A and Standard riding modes. While it isn't as intense as with the FZ, and doesn't make mid-turn inputs feel unsafe, it will be a little jarring for new riders. If I were to buy an FJ, I'd probably still get a Power Commander."

Translation: If you want smooth throttle response, ride it in rain mode at a fraction of full power.

The video makes the bike look good. It sure looks to be the sportiest of the genre. But before we go off the rails because the FJ makes twice the HP of the Versys 650, let's ask the question, how much does it matter for the style of riding done in the video? I'd guess he was running between 60-80 mph for most of it. The FJ is not using anywhere near its peak power to do that and the 650 could go that fast without breaking a sweat. Granted, the operator of the Versys may have to twist the throttle a little harder to maintain that speed, but that may be a reasonable compromise for a bike that gets better mileage and has more fuel capacity.

This post has been deleted
#37 ·
Have not tested it yet, but there are the stats
Interesting.

Your image claims the Versys 1000 has greater range than the 650. It shows both with the same tank size, but claims better fuel economy for the 1000. For the 2012 model year fuelly.com shows the 650 as more fuel efficient than the 1000. I wonder if real world experience will show the 2015 1000 more fuel efficient than the 650 as your numbers indicate. I wonder what conditions your numbers came from. Or was it simply an error?

As far as the original question I'd choose the Versys because the FJ09 simply doesn't have enough range for most of my riding. If they had given it a bigger tank, I think I'd choose the Yamaha.

#42 · (Edited)
Saddlebag,

I don't understand.

Does the V1K have a smaller alternator than the 650 V?

I run heated jacket and gloves, Clearwater front running lights, GPS, extra side and rear lights, a modulator on the front light, and have plenty of spare capacity.
Based on the info I found digging around here and elsewhere, they are the same and rated at ~340 W max @ ~5k rpm. The bike itself draws 218 W not including amperage to charge the battery (and when it doesn't need to run a cooling fan). For the sake of argument, let's say the battery draws another 22W.

This leaves 100 W for add-ons. From the chart given, the Gerbing jacket draws 75 W and the gloves 30 W. That means at the OPTIMAL operating rpm, the bike's battery has to PROVIDE 5 W just to power my minimal heating gear, thereby discharging the battery while the bike is running. And if its running at a less efficient rpm, the bike will kill the bike's battery that much faster.

#41 ·
I do see a great many of these "Adventure Tourers" and "Sport Tourers" that are at BEST marginal on electrical power.

17 AMPS sounds fine until you are trying to run heated grips, jacket and pants plus extra lights and a GPS AND power the basic functions of the bike itself. I almost ran out of power on my KLR that way. I was left with no real choice but to ditch the pants and lights AND change out the bulbs I could for LEDs to free up as much as I could. At 5000RPM I'd probably be safe BUT for the back roads and off road I'd be dead in the water sooner or later.

It's one thing for a guy to run low on a over grown DS the he's pushing to the limit. BUT to build a 1000cc bike or even a 650 being sold as a touring bike without the juice to power these things is shortsighted if you ask me.

#46 ·
The weather was barely warm enough for a nice ride to day in Oregon so I headed over to Power motorsports in Sublimity. It was a little nippy but I dressed for the ride.

There she was, a new 15 FJ 09. I have to say it is one hell of a nice looking bike. Yeah I do think they were thinking of the popularity of the Versys when they went to the drawing board on this one. I like the bigger engine, an 850 would be perfect for the Versys , the 1000 is a little big in my opinion. I would recommend you all watch that short video preview of the new FJ 09 above, really a nice preview. It seems it has everything we always wanted on our pre-15 Versys. The center stand, outlets, bigger engine, more power, easy on and off bags, hand guards, etc. Not a bad bike but it is still $3000 more than I paid for my 14 and I am still happy with my Versys.

#50 · (Edited)
they ran a long term test of the FZ-09 in Motorcyclist magazine...They dumped big bucks into the front suspension and the ECU trying to get that thing to ride and run right...a better comparison to our Versys 650 is the FZ-07..a bike I drool over...

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to/yamaha-fz-09-doin-time

the above is the 2nd of three articles detailing the mags efforts...also the 2014 Fz-09's have been recalled due to bad wiring harness' (oh nooooo).....

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/reviews/2015-yamaha-fz-07-first-ride

the above is the sweet news on the fz-07

:cheers:

#54 ·
I was at the Kawasaki site and the 650LT is listed at 476.3 lbs! BUT looking a little close that's with all fluids INCLUDING a tank of gas! That's 33 lbs right there. Plus the bags have to add a bit so it's not all that more than a 2nd gen which my manual says is 454 lbs but it doesn't say if that with a full tank or not.

#58 · (Edited)
With all respect, you guys are looking at numbers on spec sheets and marketing literature. I can tell you for certain that I, and many other members of this Forum, are routinely running, on the V650, all the equipment I mentioned (heated vest, heated gloves, GPS, extra lights, headlight modulator, etc) without any problem. I installed a led digital voltmeter that monitors the voltage level, and it never drops below 13.7 volts while running above 3000RPM. Varies between 13.9 and 14.1 volts; the drop caused by the headlight modulator. And, I'm still running the original OEM battery on my 09V, after over 20,000 miles.

BTW, I'm using a Gerber heated vest and heated gloves.

Several owners have had a problem with the rectifier/regulator after mileage is around/over 40,000 miles. But that's it.

#59 ·
I installed a led digital voltmeter that monitors the voltage level, and it never drops below 13.7 volts while running above 3000RPM. Varies between 13.9 and 14.1 volts; the drop caused by the headlight modulator. And, I'm still running the original OEM battery on my 09V, after over 20,000 miles.
That's reassuring. Odd that a manufacturer would underspec that feature...and by so much. Usually, when they lie about a spec, it's to make their product look better or more competitive, not worse!

#62 ·
I have an LED voltage indicator on my '09 (just ordered one for the '08 yesterday), and I run a GPS, two front LED 'bullet' lights, the additional LED lights on the rear of my aluminum panniers, and, WHEN necessary my Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner (SAME equip on BOTH my Vs), and the voltage indicator has NEVER shown less than 13.7v. Once or twice I even had my heated pants-liner hooked up too - NO problems.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.