My letter to the original owner of my 2009 Versys that I bought Dec. 26, 2010 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My letter to the original owner of my 2009 Versys that I bought Dec. 26, 2010

(Sent today)

Hi, David,
I bought the Versys exactly four years ago. I want to let you know that I still have it and I still love it. Not much has changed; it has the luggage and rack that you installed, as well as the engine guard and the Corbin saddle.

I replaced the electrical distribution/fuse box that you installed under the saddle, and installed Clearwater Glenda lights, new grip warmers (the Aerostich ones that you wrap around the grips and fasten with velcro), a USB charger, an electrical system status light, and an outlet to plug in an electric vest.

I've taken it on several trips, mostly to North Carolina. I like to take the Auto Train from Orlando to D.C. and ride the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, then back roads down Georgia and Florida to return home, camping all or most of the way. My son is a freshman at Hofstra, so in October I took the Auto Train to D.C., then rode to Long Island to visit him, then rode back via the Cape May-Lewes ferry, Skyline Drive and BRP, etc. Unfortunately I ended up riding across Great Smoky Mountains National Park on Columbus Day in a cold rain, which is an experience that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Three years ago I took the Versys to the track -- Jennings GP, on the Georgia border. I crashed in my first session and shattered the bracket that holds the left footrest. We found a machinist about an hour away who welded the aluminum piece back together on a Saturday. Returned Sunday for all the sessions and had a wonderful time.

The Versys has never given me a serious problem. In fact, I can't think of any minor problems, either. You sold it with 10,000 miles on the odometer (actually, it had almost zero miles on the odo, because you had replaced the head unit at around 10,000 miles). The bike has about 42,000 miles on it now. I do all the maintenance and repair work myself, except for tire, sprocket and chain changes.

In summary: I'm glad you were the first owner, and I'm glad that I'm the second owner. It's been a wonderful bike and I have taken good care of it. I hope your ride has been as satisfactory as mine.

(That's the end of the email. I forgot to mention a couple of things: I sold my car, so the Versys is my sole transportation, except for when I borrow my wife's minivan; and the mode and select buttons are still horrible -- they are the reason he replaced the entire head unit at 10,000 miles.)

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's a pretty sound testimonial. I would certainly appreciate receiving a letter like that. It speaks volumes about the Versys in my opinion.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I look at motorcycle like i look at old girlfriends. When i had them they were nice and shiny and in their prime and i for sure got the best out of them. Have seen some that had new owners and boy they sure looked neglected and beat-up.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I look at motorcycle like i look at old girlfriends. When i had them they were nice and shiny and in their prime and i for sure got the best out of them. Have seen some that had new owners and boy they sure looked neglected and beat-up.

Hahahaha!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Lol!

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:15 PM

I bought mine from a dealership but the original owner tracked me down through this site. Was nice getting to hear some of the history and to let him know Kermit was still alive and in good shape.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought this '14 new from a dealer.

and then it got a few modifications....

It's chugging along. No problems. Mostly two-lane roads and no long trips except the Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota run last spring.

Oh yeah, and the Smoky Mountain run.

Wait - then there was that beach run to Pensacola....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:14 PM

I'm sure the previous owner will appreciate the update.
I know I've sold a couple vehicles and wondered whatever happened to them. In particular, I sold a Jeep Cherokee that was my baby, I bought it new and had it for about 13 years and 150,000 miles, I did all my own maintenance on it (no one else touched that vehicle (except to put tires on it) the whole time I had it. My wife and I dated in that Jeep and we took some of the greatest vacations in it.
I actually did tear up when it pulled out of the driveway for the last time. I told the kid who bought it "if you ever decide you don't want it anymore, call me first, and if you ever wreck it, I don't want to know".
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I'm sure the previous owner will appreciate the update.
I know I've sold a couple vehicles and wondered whatever happened to them. In particular, I sold a Jeep Cherokee that was my baby, I bought it new and had it for about 13 years and 150,000 miles, I did all my own maintenance on it (no one else touched that vehicle (except to put tires on it) the whole time I had it. My wife and I dated in that Jeep and we took some of the greatest vacations in it.
I actually did tear up when it pulled out of the driveway for the last time. I told the kid who bought it "if you ever decide you don't want it anymore, call me first, and if you ever wreck it, I don't want to know".

I was able to snag a Beautiful Poppy Red with Black Racing Stripes 1965 Mustang "GT" with the 289 HiPo Engine & 4 Speed tranny. I Bought it from the original owner in 1988. I lived with the family for about 6 months in 1984 while i was in Cali. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it just let me know. He smiled and said that everyone tells him that. I was in South Carolina at the time and was talking to him and his wife about me flying out for Thanksgiving. He said Joe i think i'm going to sell the Mustang. I said how much he told me the price and i said do you want cash or cashier check. He said we'll talk about that when you get here. Well when i got off the plane and walked up to him i shoved the money in his hand before he could change his mind. All his friends were pissed off at me because they all wanted it. So i asked him why did you sell it to me.He said you live across the country I couldn't sell it to some one and then have to watch them drive by in it. 12 years ago i got a call that he was fighting cancer i was living in Texas at the time i went out to Cali with the Mustang and let him and his wife go on a vacation get away in the car. He was like a little kid again in that car. 2 weeks after i got back to Texas he passed away.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 PM
MTS

Good on you Joe! What comes around goes around!

And cool e-mail Holden! The old owner will really like that!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 12-29-2014 at 04:11 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I was able to snag a Beautiful Poppy Red with Black Racing Stripes 1965 Mustang "GT" with the 289 HiPo Engine & 4 Speed tranny. I Bought it from the original owner in 1988. I lived with the family for about 6 months in 1984 while i was in Cali. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it just let me know. He smiled and said that everyone tells him that. I was in South Carolina at the time and was talking to him and his wife about me flying out for Thanksgiving. He said Joe i think i'm going to sell the Mustang. I said how much he told me the price and i said do you want cash or cashier check. He said we'll talk about that when you get here. Well when i got off the plane and walked up to him i shoved the money in his hand before he could change his mind. All his friends were pissed off at me because they all wanted it. So i asked him why did you sell it to me.He said you live across the country I couldn't sell it to some one and then have to watch them drive by in it. 12 years ago i got a call that he was fighting cancer i was living in Texas at the time i went out to Cali with the Mustang and let him and his wife go on a vacation get away in the car. He was like a little kid again in that car. 2 weeks after i got back to Texas he passed away.
Thanks for sharing that.
Sad and inspiring at the same time.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...12 years ago i got a call that he was fighting cancer i was living in Texas at the time i went out to Cali with the Mustang and let him and his wife go on a vacation get away in the car. He was like a little kid again in that car. 2 weeks after i got back to Texas he passed away.
God bless you Joe!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
God bless you Joe!

They treated me like i was their son. Heres the dune buggy they let me drive while i was living with them.Now remember this is back in 1984. My only chore was after i got off work was to take the Bassett Hound "Charley" for a ride in the dune buggy. The dog loved riding in it so i would drive by the local college and the dog was a great chick magnet. I wish they would have let me know when they were selling the dune buggy. They let it go for $2200.00 and that thing was perfect like all his vehicles...

cali 1984 2 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode