Sign to support legal lane splitting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sign to support legal lane splitting

Read why you should (http://www.theridesofar.com/2014/12/...lane-splitting) -- IMO, of course -- or go straight to the petition (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...roads/qP86QbjN).

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I signed....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:52 PM

Sorry, can't do it.
I'll support lane splitting when the people who don't ride support it.

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Sorry, can't do it.
I kinda get what you're saying, some cagers are gonna hate you for doing it (even if you're not a hooligan) so why do it?

Then again why should they support it if you don't?

Luck favors the prepared.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post
I kinda get what you're saying, some cagers are gonna hate you for doing it (even if you're not a hooligan) so why do it?

Because THEY are giving up something for us. THEY are making the sacrifice of their lane space and we a requiring them to be more vigilant of our presence.
To be fair, if splitting is good for the goose, it should be good for the gander. What I mean is, if splitting is ok for a motorcycle why shouldn't it be OK for any vehicle? If you are riding along minding your own business and a four wheeler decided to take 3/4 of your lane and expected you to move over you probably wouldn't be very happy. It smacks of privilege when one group thinks they deserve something and another group doesn't get.
I think it's more important that the four wheelers are on board with it because it's their loss.

I know mine is not a popular attitude on a motorcycle forum but the more important question is, how popular is it on a car forum, because those are the people that have to be on board. It always kills me when people try to sell splitting to motorcyclist when they really need to sell it to everyone else, and that's a tough, tough sell because it's not something that benefits them, it actually makes their lives a little harder.

Last edited by ray h; 12-19-2014 at 10:24 PM.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
To be fair, if splitting is good for the goose, it should be good for the gander. What I mean is, if splitting is ok for a motorcycle why shouldn't it be OK for any vehicle? If you are riding along minding your own business and a four wheeler decided to take 3/4 of your lane and expected you to move over you probably wouldn't be very happy.
Happens to people on bicycles everyday and twice on Sundays.

I also don't agree that it's a hardship on drivers. They will get thru traffic lights and such a lot faster if bikes can essentially take off in parallel along side the cars rather than add to the serial line of traffic.

As to having to be more careful, again I disagree. They should be checking their mirrors before changing lanes whether or not lane splitting is legal. Bikes should not be traveling that much faster than cars that either they or the car can't take action to avoid a problem. If a bike does, then it won't be the car driver who suffers the consequences.

You could argue that it smacks of privilege to allow someone to operate a 5000 lb vehicle that causes more damage to the roads than a 500 lb vehicle. It costs all of us more in taxes to create roads wide enough to be used by busily texting soccer moms in SUVs.

Besides, if the car drivers think they are being treated unfairly, there's an easy way for them to get even...they could start riding a motorcycle!
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Sorry, can't do it.
I'm with you.
I don't like the lane splitting and can't support it.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post

legal or not theres going to be cagers that get pissed
they thing because they have the money (or credit) to buy a big suv, or bmw or lexis or bends so there far more important then everyone else..

id like lane spliting/ filtering to be legal.....
but it NOT being legal has never stopped me.
i still filter and lane split if weather sucks or traffic sucks or i just feel like it
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
need to sell it to everyone else, and that's a tough, tough sell because it's not something that benefits them, it actually makes their lives a little harder.
cars benefit from bikes splitting and filtering, it reduces traffic and gets up out of there way, and also puts up INFRONT of them were they are more likely to see us as appose to behind them were they never look...
im more for legalizing filtering alone then filtering and splitting
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry, can't do it.
Let me repeat what I wrote on my blog (especially #2 and #3, in this case):

And if you’re about to tell me you don’t believe motorcyclists should be able to lane-split, let me ask you to answer three questions honestly:

1.Are you hearing “lane-splitting” and imagining a rider doing a 60 mph stand-up wheelie between rows of stopped traffic? A California study showed that when lane-splitting is done responsibly, within the guidelines recommended by the California Highway Patrol, it is not unsafe. Nobody is suggesting that irresponsible riding should be legalized. Just sensible lane-splitting, like what happens every day, all over the world.

2.Are you speaking from experience and knowledge or pure supposition? Have you ridden where lane-splitting is legal and accepted, so drivers know to expect it? If not, how do you know it’s a bad idea?

3.Do you realize that making lane-splitting legal does not require you to do it? If you prefer sitting in traffic, you can continue to do so. Why deny the rest of us the improved ability to get where we’re going and contribute less to traffic congestion?

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:25 AM

You have to care about an issue to support it. I live in CA and most roads are decent size. A bike splitting lanes goes by a driver in a car in a matter of seconds so in reality most drivers could care less. There will be accidents, biker hoards, most folks hate the loud pipes lane splitters but for the most part if the person riding the motorcycle is safe, sane and courteous as all drivers should be it's usually not a big deal to most. Motorcycle riders make up for a very small percentage of vehicles on the roads and in this country those numbers are decreasing when compared to other forms of available transportation. Out of that demographic, many riders will not split lanes so my point is people in cars won't support something that has very little impact on their everyday lives. To me, legal lane splitting is a marker of freedom in a state that has the roads, traffic infrastructure and people with open minds and the temperament to accept it (note - I did not say 'support it'). Nutjob, high traffic, stressed out, gestapo like, small road states with people that have sticks up their ass attitudes should not try this.
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

What the heck is a "small road state"?

Lane-splitting takes place on multi-lane highways (when clogged with traffic) that are constructed to the same standards all across the country.

post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:53 AM

I support it

Thanks. I signed it.

Also as a cager, I don't mind. The motorcyclists are gone and out of my way in 1 second. It's already my responsibility to check mirrors and look over the shoulder for traffic anyway.

As a motorcyclist, my daily commute doesn't take me on freeways so I don't split much, but I do filter to the front at red lights on the boulevard. I think it is safer than being in pack with cars. I do it slowly because it is my responsibility to filter and split in a safe manner and be able to stop quickly if I see danger.

The only problem I've had (and it is quite rare) are from cagers who think I got an unfair advantage and want to race me when the light turns green. I just pull to the clear lane and let them go. There would be much less of that if cagers see more motorcyclists filter and splitting safely.

I think what's more annoying are the bicyclists who take up a full lane on the boulevard and hold up traffic even when they have room to ride to the side and let cars pass. Yet this is perfectly legal and they are protected. They have painted lane marks on designated roads as a reminder.

-Vince
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
What the heck is a "small road state"?

Lane-splitting takes place on multi-lane highways (when clogged with traffic) that are constructed to the same standards all across the country.
i think he is referring to country roads that at times can be quite narrow
but i agree you have no place lane splitting there... the laws of physics say so
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
I'm with you.
I don't like the lane splitting and can't support it.
You don't have to like it. You don't have to do it. But why on God's green earth would a motorcyclist who may some day NEED it, oppose it?
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatron View Post
Thanks. I signed it.

I think what's more annoying are the bicyclists who take up a full lane on the boulevard and hold up traffic even when they have room to ride to the side and let cars pass. Yet this is perfectly legal and they are protected. They have painted lane marks on designated roads as a reminder.

-Vince
gotta love bicyclists ... they demand we share the roads and give them loads of extra rights and what not ... and that i can live with... but then they go and run every stop sign and red light dont give hand singles dont have lighting at night and so on......
post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 AM

I can't.

My cases won't fit anyway. Where I live traffic is not so bad to really see any difference for me, or anyone else for that matter.

Cheers!

post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
My cases won't fit anyway. Where I live traffic is not so bad to really see any difference for me, or anyone else for that matter.
Have you ever thought that someday you might want to use your bike to travel? If you do, you might find situations that differ from those of your locale. Why not be proactive and do something that would allow you the freedom to make choices when and if you should need to?

Last edited by saddlebag; 12-20-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
Let me repeat what I wrote on my blog (especially #2 and #3, in this case):

And if you’re about to tell me you don’t believe motorcyclists should be able to lane-split, let me ask you to answer three questions honestly:

1.Are you hearing “lane-splitting” and imagining a rider doing a 60 mph stand-up wheelie between rows of stopped traffic? A California study showed that when lane-splitting is done responsibly, within the guidelines recommended by the California Highway Patrol, it is not unsafe. Nobody is suggesting that irresponsible riding should be legalized. Just sensible lane-splitting, like what happens every day, all over the world.

2.Are you speaking from experience and knowledge or pure supposition? Have you ridden where lane-splitting is legal and accepted, so drivers know to expect it? If not, how do you know it’s a bad idea?

3.Do you realize that making lane-splitting legal does not require you to do it? If you prefer sitting in traffic, you can continue to do so. Why deny the rest of us the improved ability to get where we’re going and contribute less to traffic congestion?
1). NO
2). I have lived and ridden in CA
3). I know.

As a motorcyclist, I'm OK with it being legal, I may even do it but it'll be my choice as to when. As a cager, I'm against it because it won't be my choice as to when or with whom I'll be sharing a lane. I like having a whole lane, it gives me a few feet of emergency space to the sides if I need to avoid something in the road or an opening car door or if I need to adjust lane position to better see. Lane position is a valuable tool for safe driving. If a rider chooses to give up that space, that's their business, but to take that space away from someone else is a different thing and that's the problem I have with it.

Lets partition for a law that says cars can lane split with motorcycles. How would that work for you? They can just drive up beside you, take 3/4 of your lane, whenever they want and it's perfectly fine. Too bad for you if you can't avoid the gravel or oil or a 2X4 laying in the road because a cager decided it was a good time to use most of your lane to pass.
As soon as you can come up with a valid reason this would benefit 95% of the road users then it's all good. (and no, easing traffic congestion doesn't get it, we both know that's BS)

Last edited by ray h; 12-20-2014 at 02:40 PM.
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatron View Post
T

As a motorcyclist, my daily commute doesn't take me on freeways so I don't split much, but I do filter to the front at red lights on the boulevard. I think it is safer than being in pack with cars. I do it slowly because it is my responsibility to filter and split in a safe manner and be able to stop quickly if I see danger.

The only problem I've had (and it is quite rare) are from cagers who think I got an unfair advantage and want to race me when the light turns green. I just pull to the clear lane and let them go. There would be much less of that if cagers see more motorcyclists filter and splitting safely.
You do know that being the first vehicle into the intersection when the light changes is absolutely the worse place to be. Most 2 vehicle motorcycle accidents are left turners and red light runners at intersections. By racing to be the first one in, you are opening yourself up to get T-boned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode