Aux fuse box and heated grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Aux fuse box and heated grips

Finally got around to putting heated grips on the Versys and wired up through a little 3 circuit fuse block. Tried them last night.. NICE!

Went with Symtec brand again, the kind that come with heater elements in the sticky backed film. you wrap them around your bars and use any grips on top. this is at least my 3rd set of these. they're cheap and work great so I keep buying them. I like that they have two elements.. and not a resistor to toggle low/high like kimpex. Kit came with a klunky metal toggle switch but I tossed that in favor of a small rocker. mounted up nice, looks factory. I'll post a pic later.

http://www.amazon.com/Symtec-Warmer-Heated-Warmers-Flexible/dp/B0055DN2OS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418998858&sr=8-2&keywords=Symtec+Heated+Grips
The only other aftermarket brand I've tried was "hotgrips" tm. The elements are IN the grips - which were hard and plasticky. and they were 3x more expensive. this was > 10 years ago though.

I've been buying wiring stuff from Joe Scavone of CycleTerminal.com. He makes good stuff, good prices, easy to deal with and quick to respond. and he's east coast (PA) so quick shipping for me. This is where I got my fuse block/relay and have the same one on my DR650. It's only 3 circuits but that's going to be plenty for this bike. It's small and you don't mount it.. just tuck it away.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/fuse-box-kits.html

Last edited by ddlewis; 12-19-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
DDLewis or any of you knowlegble folks, I was concerned about how much load the battery could handle. I currently have the fused wiring for a lighter plug, the Stebel horn, the Admore lights for the bags, and the Backoff is also connected to the battery. I still need/want to add for front Admore bars to the handguards, for some front auxillary lights, and for some heated grips. Is there any issue with having so many power hogs? Also, its getting pretty busy on my battery. How do you handle all the wiring since each of the power uses have their own fusing? Please educate me a little on the fuse block/relay system so I can get my wiring organized. Thanks

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 10:58 AM

Go to fuzeblock.com and look at their product FZ-1. There are several threads on this Forum about the benefits of FZ-1. I've been using it for several years, without any problems, on both my 09V and my 10V.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:42 PM

These fuze blocks work well.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...PC-8/pc-8.html
Fitted to both my bikes, and have helped to fit to a dozen mates' bikes as well.
And only one connection to the battery.

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
...Please educate me a little on the fuse block/relay system so I can get my wiring organized. Thanks
Here's some pics of my "fuzeblock"installation on BIG RED.... It CERTAINLY reduces the number of wires to the battery.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09362 copy.jpg (85.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09363 copy.jpg (83.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09364 copy.jpg (68.8 KB, 234 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 01:10 PM

Thanks! That's the best price yet with Posiloc fasteners too (those aren't free.) All I need it just for heated grips. I had a lighter outlet on 2 of my BMW's and never used them.

It's nice to see something I want and need that is cheaper too! That is EXACTLY the relay required to make heated handgrips (OR any electrical gadget) work properly on a motorcycle, doah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Finally got around to putting heated grips on the Versys and wired up through a little 3 circuit fuse block. Tried them last night.. NICE!

Went with Symtec brand again, the kind that come with heater elements in the sticky backed film. you wrap them around your bars and use any grips on top. this is at least my 3rd set of these. they're cheap and work great so I keep buying them. I like that they have two elements.. and not a resistor to toggle low/high like kimpex. Kit came with a klunky metal toggle switch but I tossed that in favor of a small rocker. mounted up nice, looks factory. I'll post a pic later.

http://www.amazon.com/Symtec-Warmer-...c+Heated+Grips

The only other aftermarket brand I've tried was "hotgrips" tm. The elements are IN the grips - which were hard and plasticky. and they were 3x more expensive. this was > 10 years ago though.

I've been buying wiring stuff from Joe Scavone of CycleTerminal.com. He makes good stuff, good prices, easy to deal with and quick to respond. and he's east coast (PA) so quick shipping for me. This is where I got my fuse block/relay and have the same one on my DR650. It's only 3 circuits but that's going to be plenty for this bike. It's small and you don't mount it.. just tuck it away.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/fuse-box-kits.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode