Garmin Zumo 590LM - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garmin Zumo 590LM

Hey all. Have not been around the forum much as my Versys is now put away for a long winter's nap.

Thinking of next season already, was looking at Motorcycle GPS's specifically the Garmin Zumo 590LM. They are alot of money and never seems to be much of any sale on them.

Do others here have one and if so is it really worth the extra $ over a regular Garmin Nuvi or Smart Phone app?

Thanks and Merry Xmas to all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Before spenidng the money an a full blown GPS, I'd experiment with some of the I-phone GPS/Mapping apps like MotionX-GPS Drive. It may even be free up thru 90 days, then like $10/year to have the voice directions. I'll be hooking up my wiring and the case I got over the holidays and will go back to this thread and post some pics. It's the only GPS I use in my car now. When in real time 3-D mapping, I can see myself (icon) walking around my property. Like the GPS units, they are battry hogs so you have to get it hard wired. I'm using the pigtail plug for power that is hooked on for my battery tender.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:48 PM

All,

Again, get a used iphone 4 from ebay for 30 bucks (look for verizon as it is the cheapest and you don't need the network functioning), install navigon us for free and you have all what you are supposed to get from a gps....I did it for my 15000km trip in Europe twice and it worked like a charm

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:52 PM

The only problem I have with using my Galaxy for the GPS is it's very hard to see in bright sunlight, the light washes out the display. AND it can be hard to swipe the screen with gloves on. I found some conductive thread and sewed a bit in the index finger of the left glove and it helps. You want to be sure it's real conductive thread and not just shiny plastic. and it helps to do this to the left hand glove...It's a PITA if you have to reach over and swipe with your right hand...yea I did.

Needless to say a REAL GPS i's waiting in the wings for me sooner or later.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that i bought in 2010 on sale for $599.00. Its stays on the bike rain or shine. Never any issues, Have been looking at the newer ones but the old Zumo is still working just fine....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I have an iPhone and Garmin Nuvi that I've used on bike trips. The Zumo has some desirable features, 5in screen, able to see in the light, mp3 player with bluetooth and of course waterproof. Was wondering if this is worth the extra $ or just go with what I got. Any others have experience with either the Zumo or Tom Tom.

This will give me something to think about as I stare out my window watching the snow drift ever so higher

PS. hey Weljo has that Yamaha doing? Are you looking at the 1000 LT in 2015?

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclean View Post
I have an iPhone and Garmin Nuvi that I've used on bike trips. The Zumo has some desirable features, 5in screen, able to see in the light, mp3 player with bluetooth and of course waterproof. Was wondering if this is worth the extra $ or just go with what I got. Any others have experience with either the Zumo or Tom Tom.

This will give me something to think about as I stare out my window watching the snow drift ever so higher

The Zumo was expensive but for me it has been worth it. The FJR is doing great but i have my eye on a few of the new upright models coming out including the V 1000.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclean View Post

Mp3 player and bluetooth?? That is already available in your iphone😧
For the waterproof, in my first trip I just used the freezer plastic bags loool during the second trip however, I bought a 10usd plastic cover that enables you to still use the touch screen
On my gloves I have put a 1 usd special rubber that allowed me the nagivate through the screen without removing my gloves..
With navigon app, I downloaded all the maps online so I used it completely offline...I had the voice direction, radar detector, line assistant, etc
Finally, for the seeing at day light time, it was not an issue for me at all even during the sunny day in guadalaghara north of Madrid on my way back home, you can still use the 10 usd sun cover for it...

Because I am a cheapo farkler, the budget for a a zumo was used for the iphone, v35 sidebages, their racks and the shipping cost

But that is my 2 cents, if you are comfortable financially I think Weljo's advice is the best you can get here

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I splurged and bought the Garmin 590LM here in Australia.
regular pricing was $899 but a local store had a unheard of 25% off all garmin gps's and so got it for $674.

It's a great GPS.
screen is bright.
The hardest part is running the wires back to under the seat... there are many connectors. It is doable and they end nicely just in the under seat cubbyhole after the battery.
I pulled power from the front switched power leads inside left front faring.

I connected a 3.5mm headphone jack extension and taped it to the tank and plug headphones in to listen to MP3's while on long rides... easy App control while using the GPS is great.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I bought TWO of the Garmin Nuvi 550's (which are waterproof) and stay mounted on both Vs, EVEN when I wash them. Maybe not the GREATEST GPS, but they work PDG for me...! Co$t? About $200 for one, $150 for t'other....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The free software and maps can't compete with what comes with a dedicated GPS. I have a Nexus 5 phone with large screen and it still can't really compete with my cheap Garmin 2595 GPS primarily because of a huge difference in the quality of the software and maps. Garmin and TomTom have huge Technology investments in their map data and software, something you can't replicate with a free or cheap app.

The only issue I've found is the micro USB port used to power most GPS units and phones is not reliable under adverse conditions like you would find on a motorcycle. Its intermittent at best.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-19-2014 at 07:07 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:49 PM

I'm running a Zumo 550 as well. I have an extra iPhone 5 laying around but it seemed much cleaner and easier to stay with the Garmin. I spent 40 years being connected 24/7. If somebody wants to get in touch with me now, they'll just have to wait til I need to refuel.

PS: yeah, I know the phone doesn't need to be operational, but I also know myself well enough to know I'd have to leave it fired up.

IBA 12512

Last edited by Harpeaux; 12-19-2014 at 11:00 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Garage
The vibration on a motorcycle and the mini USB connector on the back of all GPS units I've owned do not get along well. The power connection is intermittent and when it fails the GPS unit goes dead or reboots. Do not have this issue in the car with the same units. They need to invent a better, more reliable power connector.

Anyone else have this issue?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:29 PM

The ZUMO connector is not a mini USB and it's locked into the back of the GPS mounting cradle by the GPS itself. If there's a power interruption, it will more than likely be at the connection supplying power to the cradle. As always, using the right tool for the job usually yields the best results.

IBA 12512
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The vibration on a motorcycle and the mini USB connector on the back of all GPS units I've owned do not get along well. The power connection is intermittent and when it fails the GPS unit goes dead or reboots. Do not have this issue in the car with the same units. They need to invent a better, more reliable power connector.

Yes.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 PM

I have been using my smart phone Driod Razr Max HD. I down loaded the Garmin App called Viago and have used it for the last eight months. I have it blue toothed to my Sena SMH10 head unit on my helmet and it works great. I have been looking at a stand alone unit but its hard to spend the money on the locking mount and nav when this works so well.

A Zumo maybe in the future. Maybe.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 10:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpeaux View Post
The ZUMO connector is not a mini USB and it's locked into the back of the GPS mounting cradle by the GPS itself. If there's a power interruption, it will more than likely be at the connection supplying power to the cradle. As always, using the right tool for the job usually yields the best results.
Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

No (Nuvi 550 w/ mini USB connection).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I tour in all weather and bought a new zumo 660 last spring. It had the features I wanted and was $500 delivered. I used a nuvi for several years and a very happy to have the daylight readable screen, waterproof, lifetime maps GPS. Works great with my Sena, and don't have to worry about the weather, or the sun.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 12-22-2014 at 08:16 PM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I'm running the full Garmin Street Pilot Ap on my phone that is the same software and mapping as the stand alone GPS units.

http://www8.garmin.com/apps/

Cost = $29.99
The Street Pilot app lists for $60 online and only is available for iPhone and Windows phones. So far there is no availability for Android. Garmin do make a $1.99 app for the Android phone but it is not comparable in quality and features to Street Pilot which is the same/similar software to that used in Garmin GPS devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode