Farewell but not gone - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
FJS

Farewell but not gone

Sold the V last week as I got a bug for the F800GS and don't regret it so far.
Will keep lurking around as I did like the V a bunch, just that I'm a torque junky.

Salut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Nice bike! Drop in for a visit here & there...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Where I work we tell BMW owners that they became "one of them". The F800GS looks good on paper. Let us know how it compares to the V.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
FJS

I wanted to avoid the comparison because they are such different bikes but since you asked, here we go but first let me ask you Boricua, what does "one of them" mean?

First off the 800GS is oriented towards off road use as the V is street only due to the tire configurations and such, long suspension does not mean dual purpose. I used my V at the end mostly for commuting and since the swap, found that the 800 does the same and in certain circumstances even better.

I don't knock the V one bit, I liked it very much but I just like torque and the bigger engine on the 800 gave me that and other options the V did not.

Hope that helps a little.

Salut
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:36 AM

How bout a pic of the new ride

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Did you buy it new? What was the ballpark cost of that sweet ride?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
FJS

Haven't taken a pic of her yet but when I do, will put it up. As far as the price goes, I did buy her new ('10 model) and since I don't live in the US, don't think that the prices are comparable, a bit higher than what you guys pay for. You guys have it made for Euro vehicles as there seems to be a currency treaty with the EU. You would probably look at it around 12k otd perhaps.

Salut
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
FJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
good to know. previously, i thought the main difference was that the Versys was 100% of the fun at less than 50% of the price of the 800GS.
wrong figures, the V is at least 2/3's the price with no extras whatsoever and if someone makes the change is because they can....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:08 PM

good review of the bike on webBikeWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS View Post
wrong figures, the V is at least 2/3's the price with no extras whatsoever and if someone makes the change is because they can....
2010 Versys MSRP $7600
2010 BMW F 800 GS MSRP $11,400

Here in CA a good rule of thumb is MSRP = OTD price so the BMW costs $3800 more (or 50% more then a Versys) (or the Versys is 2/3 of the BMW). Which ever way you look at the math. The GS also has need for all the usual Versys Farkle options as well (e.g., touring windshield, center stand, engine guards, side bags/racks, top bag, GPS/mounts, heated grips, seat (see below), hand guards ... )

A good review of the bike on webBikeWorld (two parts) where the reviewer also rode/liked the Versys. Unfortunately the seat on the GS also gets low marks

Quote:
The only stock item that I need to address is the seat. After a few hours of super-slab droning, it becomes a real pain – my sheepskin helps, but only for a short period of time
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycles/bmw-f-800-gs/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ccessories.htm

Gets the same gas mileage as Versys but better torque & horsepower.

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by surferbum; 02-26-2010 at 06:21 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS View Post
Whoops! I think that is what someone meant with "one of them"!! JK, enjoy it and get on their forum as soon as possible!

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode