2015 V 1K is here - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
2015 V 1K is here

Driving past my local Kawasaki shop today and what do I see?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Like that version a lot better than the first one that brought out and love the colour.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 04:36 AM
MTS

I agree Phil!

Test ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MTS; 12-12-2014 at 05:35 AM.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 05:16 AM

The Key was in it!! You were supposed to take it and ride her home!!!

Thanks for posting those pics up!

Current Bikes
-------------------------------------
2015 Triumph Street Triple R -- Matte Black
2013 Ducati MultiStrada -- Base Model
2011 Triumph Speed Triple -- Black
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Key was in it, the battery was NOT connected. I'll be riding it soon
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

Nice. That's my next bike. Talked to my dealer yesterday. They won't be in my area (Ohio) until January. Going to head over today or tomorrow to put down a little earnest money.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:42 AM

did you (or anyone else) sit on it? Does it feel taller and or heavier than the 650? I would LOOOOVE to get my hands on one (maybe leftover or lightly used in a few years).
Riding two up on the current v is less than desirable. That compounded with the fact I have only ever owned twins (ninja 650r, harley48, versys 650) I think its high time I get me a four cylinder.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
did you (or anyone else) sit on it? Does it feel taller and or heavier than the 650? I would LOOOOVE to get my hands on one (maybe leftover or lightly used in a few years).
Riding two up on the current v is less than desirable. That compounded with the fact I have only ever owned twins (ninja 650r, harley48, versys 650) I think its high time I get me a four cylinder.

I had a chance to sit on 2 new V1000ís at the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach , CA.

I didnít get to ride them but my first impressions from just sitting on V1000ís are pretty high. I canít get over how comfortable the ergonomics are.(I'm 6'3") I didnít notice any extra weight or at least it wasnít that noticeable from just straddling the bike and keeping it up. The bike seems just as tall as my V650.(Thats a good thing for me) The fit and finish seemed on par with my V650. The saddle bags and mounts work nice. The adjustable windscreen is really easy to use. I also canít get over how good the orange looks in real life. It is not as red and it seems in the pictures, it has a touch more bronze in it.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I sat on it on the centre stand, it is tall I could not reach the ground. When I ride it I'll know more.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Get a test ride. You might be disappointed with the lack of low end torque from the I-4 engine. The 1000 CC engine might make up for that though.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 10:53 PM

I'm leaning toward the v1. Currently ride a ZRX and is a blast, but looking for something that will be more touring friendly.
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkyone View Post
I'm leaning toward the v1. Currently ride a ZRX and is a blast, but looking for something that will be more touring friendly.
I had one of them too. It's engine and build for serviceability played into my decision. The only things going against it as a tourer are minimal wind protection and lack of cruise control. Both are simple fixes. Seems the aftermarket has a pretty decent selection of those kinds of things for the previous generation of the bike.

The biggest concern to me is its height. I rode dirt bikes as a youngun, and even the sport tourers and standards I've had since were all too tall for me to flat foot, so that isn't a big issue. If it's too tall for me to securely get the bike off the stand with a passenger and luggage, I'll need to make other provisions. Looks like the aftermarket has a lowering link for the rear of the previous generation. I haven't read anything about the rear suspension being changed on the new one, so I assume I can remedy that easily enough.

There is a video of someone installing a lowering kit on the 650 on Youtube. They don't even bother changing the springs or spacers in the forks. The just drop the triple trees down the forks, cut an inch off the kickstand, and screw on a new foot on the kickstand.

The only real complaint I've read/heard about with the previous gen was that the fork was a little vague diving hard into corners. It appears that the fork configuration and settings were altered for the new one.

The one item I haven't seen for the previous gen that I'd like are highway pegs. They have them for the 650, but I couldn't find any for the 1k. I have them on my FJR and love the ability to move my legs about. Guess I have restless leg syndrome
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 07:39 AM

Small head insect looking in appearance. Just can't do it. I think that's why in early pictures the aux lights were so big - helped off-set the tiny head look.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
Small head insect looking in appearance. Just can't do it. I think that's why in early pictures the aux lights were so big - helped off-set the tiny head look.
You can't see them when you ride it.

I like this view:

qpqxdylc.wru.jpg
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 07:53 AM

Very nice!!
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 AM

I think all V's should have an under mounted exhaust pipe.

Hate the big side pipe.....
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer88 View Post
I think all V's should have an under mounted exhaust pipe.

Hate the big side pipe.....
From what I read, there is a big baffle box under bike that adds to the mass centralization. The downside is that even slip ons sound very muffled. They look nice though.

post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Man this thread title needs a disclaimer: The 2015 v-1000 is here, in Australia haha j/k. I like the bike and that is comes with a 1000cc engine. But I thought they were gonna put a v-1000 like the sv1000. I guess it makes sense given that Kawi makes a few 1000cc in-line 4 bikes already Zx10r, Ninja 1000, Z1000. Interested to the see the power delivery on this bike.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

Nice Pics! Very professional. Those are better than bike magazines.
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I had one of them too. It's engine and build for serviceability played into my decision. The only things going against it as a tourer are minimal wind protection and lack of cruise control. Both are simple fixes. Seems the aftermarket has a pretty decent selection of those kinds of things for the previous generation of the bike.

The biggest concern to me is its height. I rode dirt bikes as a youngun, and even the sport tourers and standards I've had since were all too tall for me to flat foot, so that isn't a big issue. If it's too tall for me to securely get the bike off the stand with a passenger and luggage, I'll need to make other provisions. Looks like the aftermarket has a lowering link for the rear of the previous generation. I haven't read anything about the rear suspension being changed on the new one, so I assume I can remedy that easily enough.

There is a video of someone installing a lowering kit on the 650 on Youtube. They don't even bother changing the springs or spacers in the forks. The just drop the triple trees down the forks, cut an inch off the kickstand, and screw on a new foot on the kickstand.

The only real complaint I've read/heard about with the previous gen was that the fork was a little vague diving hard into corners. It appears that the fork configuration and settings were altered for the new one.

The one item I haven't seen for the previous gen that I'd like are highway pegs. They have them for the 650, but I couldn't find any for the 1k. I have them on my FJR and love the ability to move my legs about. Guess I have restless leg syndrome
You should be holding the bike upright before the passenger boards the bike.

The nothing that caused me to fall for the ninjas 650 was the hidden exhaust. That also played into getting the versus. With the bags on all the time, I don't mind the concours exhaust, so probably wouldn't mind the v1000.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode