Attention Vegas Versys Riders! I Need Your Help. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Attention Vegas Versys Riders! I Need Your Help.

Hi guys,

I know that there are several forum members from Vegas who have made their V purchase locally from Carter or RideNow.

I'm getting ready to buy, and my previous experiences with these two outfits have been nightmarish - crazy high markups, and no willingness to come down to something remotely reasonable.

Would any of you be willing to share what you paid OTD? If you don't want to list it here in public, a PM would be greatly appreciated.

At least this way, I go in armed with some very useful information when the sales locusts approach.

(To everyone else: if Vegas is truly out of '08's and can't get any more, or if they refuse to stop playing games with the prices, (a KLR for $7900 OTD?!?!) I'll be looking for a Versys within about a 500 mile radius.

This means Reno/Carson City NV, Arizona, the southern half of Utah, possibly southwestern Colorado, and the western half of New Mexico. (Whew!)

If any of you are in these regions, and know of dealers with V's that want to get rid of them and are ready to deal, could you please let me know? Thanks!!)

~Mike

Future Versys owner in 3...2...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM

I bought my Versys about three weeks ago and not from these guys http://www.lcmotorsports.com/default.asp, (they were the ones who gave me a bit of a runaround with price during the negotiations, see http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/showthread.php?t=525 for details). They're located in Las Cruces, NM and said that they had just received 4 Versys into their inventory. Based on what the sales manager said to me they would be willing to part with one for $6.4-6.5k if they have any left. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:58 AM

I purchased mine from victoryofmesa.com in Mesa, Az. I live in Vegas but made the day trip to pick up the bike. I bought it in April. They had web special at the time for $5849. It came to about $6900 with freight, setup and 3 year warranty. They may have 1 or 2 sitting around and willing to get rid of it. My name is Bear Chamnong. You can use me as reference. They may want to match the price for you. Good luck

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:08 AM

I paid $6575.00 all fees, and taxes included, and they went to N.C. to another dealer to get it for me.....im. in roanoke Va.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 07:35 PM

Your best bet would be to go to the dealer in Mesa and get one at the cut rate they are letting them go at. I bought mine at Carter and was there a week ago. They say there are no more for this year that they can get a hold of. I refuse to buy from the RideNow dealerships as they are just a straight pain in the ass. Big markup and HIIIIIIIIGHHHH pressure.

other options are Sunwest Kawasaki in Bullhead City and Walt's Kawasaki in Havasu City. Good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:25 AM

RideNow on Rancho was ridiculous.They wanted $9K for a Versys. I walked away laughing. The very idea that I would even consider that price is insulting. No business for you.

I bought mine at Carter for $7000 OTD. Even they pulled some shenanigans, but the net result was $7000 OTD. If you have a trade-in, make sure you get a quote for the trade-in 'price' NOT trade-in 'value'. They quoted me a trade-in 'value' of $7000. I assumed that meant $7000. Wrong. When I got to the paperwork part I realized that they only gave me about $6500 for my bike. The other $500 was an offset for the sales tax value of the trade-in. IOW, if you buy a vehicle in Vegas, you don't have to pay sales tax on any trade-in credited towards the purchase because you already paid tax when you bought your trade-in. In my case the net result was the amount I paid for the bike was what I was expecting, so I went ahead with the deal. I was a little ticked when I realized what was happening, but the net price I paid didn't change. They basically took my unfamiliarity with the law and used it against me. Lesson learned.

BTW, Carter didn't treat me unprofessionally. The sales staff was cordial and there were no strong arm tactics. They wanted around $8000 initially. I told them politely I was in no mood to haggle. I asked for and got book wholesale for my trade in and I offered them $7000 OTD for theirs. I didn't negotiate. That was what I was willing to pay and it was either a yes or no answer on their part. It took all of 5 minutes.

Despite the sleight of hand with the trade-in 'value' versus trade-in 'price' (pun intended) I would buy from Carter again. I paid a fair price for the bike and I'm really pleased with my purchase.

Si vis pacem para bellum
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

Your experiences at each place mirror my own in a lot of ways. However, I found high-pressure, strong arm tactics at BOTH places. When I bought my V-Strom in '06 (MSRP $6699) Carter started at $8,700. When I laughed, they came down to $8300.

When I told them they were still at least $1K too high, I was told "we'll sell every single one we can get at this price. Take it or leave it."

I left it.

Six hours of haggling and threats later, I had a deal on the Strom at Ride Now for $7,300 OTD. Still not a great deal, but OTD in LA wanted $7K OTD, and it would have cost me $300 to drive to LA for the weekend anyway.

I just can't give either place my business again. Carter was just laughable (I went back in one last time to inquire about the '08 KLR (MSRP $5349). First quote given was $7,900 OTD!!!) Never again.

I did manage a fair deal (for this area) at Ride Now, but it wasn't worth six hours of elevated blood pressure and wondering if the police were going to be called at any moment as the yelling going each direction got louder and louder.

Dealerships need to make money on their products to survive. I fully understand that and want to make sure they receive a fair profit.

The key word there is "fair".

Somewhere in all those numbers, is a price where the dealership makes a reasonable profit and consumer gets a reasonable price.

Why is it so hard for most dealers to understand that? OTD Motorsports in California seems to get that. I'd sure like to see more dealerships adopt the same approach.

Too bad the V won't be in CA for at least several more months.

~Mike

Future Versys owner in 3...2...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nodaclu; 07-11-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode