Versys seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys seat

Waiting for the 650 LT to arrive and in the pictures I have seen the seat slopes toward the tank. Terribly uncomfortable on my old bike and I wonder if you have experienced this on previous year Versys. Can you live with it or maybe an aftermarket seat? I know you can't decide for me, but generally speaking, how do you find it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have a 08 with stock seat and i really dont see what every one complains about, the stock seat is fine , yes it leans forward a bit but i dont find it that big of a deal..

but i also came from a bike with a leather wrapped peace of sheet metal for a seat
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 09:59 AM

I think all the versys have a eat that slopes like this...why? Who knows. I Ordered a Seat Concepts kit, in +1 firmness I like HARD saddles, and problem solved. Took the bike from being a PITA after 20-30 minutes to an all day rider. And at $169.00 there's jingle left over for a couple of cold ones! I also want to say the quality is superb on their products and if you send them the base they can do the install for a modest price.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/K...rsys/p/8826177

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 12-06-2014 at 10:03 AM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went through quite a few seats on the Versys. Save yourself some time and money and get the Seat Concepts Kit...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 12-06-2014 at 01:44 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I think all the versys have a eat that slopes like this...why? Who knows. I Ordered a Seat Concepts kit, in +1 firmness I like HARD saddles, and problem solved. Took the bike from being a PITA after 20-30 minutes to an all day rider. And at $169.00 there's jingle left over for a couple of cold ones! I also want to say the quality is superb on their products and if you send them the base they can do the install for a modest price.

http://seatconcepts.com/products#!/K...rsys/p/8826177
The stock seat was not working for me, even "spencer" modded as it was when I got it. Now have the SC foam/cover kit on it, also +1 in firmmess. I like the shape, height and flatness over the stocker/spencer a lot. I also recommend it to the OP, but skip the firmer foam. It's too hard. I regret asking for that.

Now - mostly for long days - I'm trying to decide between:
1. $160.. airhawk (which I have no experience with.. just know that a lot of long riders swear by 'em) Proven way to go but as expensive as the SC seat kit. Also it's just one more strap-on thing to deal with.

2. $30.. pull back the cover, cut a recess into the SC foam, install a gelpad, recover. This would be cheaper, integrated, and may be good enough. Previous experience with gel was not good in the summer sun as the gel holds heat. I have a sheepskin pad to put on top that might mitigate the heat problem.

3. $0. drill a pattern of ~5mm evenly spaced holes into the foam to lessen the density in the butt-contact area. seems like it might work..

any opinions between these?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 02:52 PM

I've tried many combinations. AirHawk R is the best of all.

If you need to be lower, remove the OEM foam after the first six inches to the back of the rider portion - then put the AirHawk R on top.

If seat height is not a problem, simply put the AirHawk R on and enjoy a comfortable ride.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Garage
My seat does not slope forward the only mods I have made was to have the section under my legs made wider for more support.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 04:49 PM

The stocker killed me. I went with the Baldwin Cafe' seat and it is incredibly comfy. Night and day for me.

I'll get some pics up and a review as soon as I get a chance.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 05:49 PM

The stock seat is horrible.
It slopes forward bad.
It needs to be 2" higher in the front.
I have been using an AirHawk for several years and it really helps.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda XR 650L
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I used an Airhawk on my old bike very sucessfully after flattening the seat. Still have the Airhawk and I will put it to use again. Thanks for the info!!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=Gatorfan;746794]The stocker killed me. I went with the Baldwin Cafe' seat and it is incredibly comfy. Night and day for me.

Ditto
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
that's all you need to know. get the big one 14x18, often found used if you don't wan't to pay retail.
Ok I'll try that. Tired of being cheapskate with a sore butt.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
It is way too expensive to get a custom seat done in Australia from reputable seat maker = AU$400. which is about the same cost of shipping a Seat Concepts seat foam and cover here.

I'm a cheap bastard with a fat ass.
I borrow a mates Airhawk 2 medium ... works really well and fits the Versys seat nicley.
Just going to have to ponie up $$$ when I have to do a long ride with him :lol: and buy my own!

Last edited by Gigitt; 12-08-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: I'm stupid
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Terry Adcock seat. Look him up and look at the pictures. Wonderful seat. 300-500 mile rides are easy. He can make it anyway you want. Best mod yet.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighman View Post
Terry Adcock seat. Look him up and look at the pictures. Wonderful seat. 300-500 mile rides are easy. He can make it anyway you want. Best mod yet.
...AND Alaska Jeff has one for sale...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 PM

Had no issue with the stocker. the slight slope forward kinda helps, especially for my kind of "agressive" riding.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
Ok I'll try that. Tired of being cheapskate with a sore butt.
Found a used airhawk R on ebay for $50. covers a little faded, otherwise good to go according to seller.

So I'm still a cheapskate, but hopefully without the sore butt now.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I needed a lower seat..and even though there are a couple of good upholsterers here in the Portland area..I went with a Sargeant's Seat...I can ride around 4 hours before my butt starts to complain...for grip I put on a TechSpec seat pad (no more mashed nads)...The upholsterers charge around 150-200 bucks to redo the seat with seat material of your choice (generally)...They could've lowered my stock seat also..but I wanted to keep it as is for future resale...ask around at your local motorcycle shops for someone in your area...

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Ac...wasaki-Versys/

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Corbin

Due to the slightly sloping forward stance of the seat and being 6'4" I went with the Corbin. Flat at the front, and a little firm for support.

Cheers!

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:49 PM

Corbin. Had them build the seat an 1 1/2" taller and move the 'bucket' back 1". Perfect for my 6'2". No additional charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode