Finally Bought a Lift - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Finally Bought a Lift

Well I finally broke down and bought a lift. I's a 1000 lb air lift with extended sides and center jack. Total was about $995.00. The lift itself was $575.00 + $199.00 for the side wings +$99.00 for the center jack. We must not for goe the tax...another $72.00. I did a lot of searching and these were by far and away the most reasonable for the value.

One thing I have learned about this is don't try and set this up by yourself. It shipped upside down so you can connect the air supply easily but then you have to turn it over. Not an easy task. Finally my wife and I got it turned over and I put the wings on by myself. The three bars that go thru the lift to support the wings were somewhat of a problem due to alignment but it all worked out.

Also the way that the wing ramps attach needs improving in my opinion. There is only 1 support point on the outside of each wing and then the inner part of the wing support is attached to the main ramp by 2 screws on each side. This causes a slight problem in getting the finished ramp off and back on as it pulls the ramp pieces closer together than the mating holes in the lift. So, there is an alinement problem but I can work around that.

I need to take the moving handle apart and grease the thing as the wheels won't hardly turn. That was mentioned in a previous post I believe and is good advice. I'll take care of that tommorrow.

I've yet to put the wing on the lift yet as I'm going to make some risers about 4' long out of wood to put in front of the wings on the lift to make it the same height as the lift itself. That way I can put the Wing's front wheel at the beginning of the rise of the lift and be able to have my legs reach the surface before I start up the ramp. That way I'll have support for my short legs the complete time I'm loading and unloading. Honestly I'm really concerned about that gap while loading so I'm not taking any chances here.

Anyway here are a few pictures of the lift so far.

Here's a link to where I bought it in Fort Worth,Tx.

http://www.derekweaver.com/update/Pr...uct.aspx?id=11

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Looks nice!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM

WOW
Is that EVER nice!! I was looking at getting one in the near future myself, but none of them were that sweet. Just makes working on the bike so much easier

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Hey Don - see your still hanging around here. What did you do with your red lift. For sale maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrappieKiller View Post
Hey Don - see your still hanging around here. What did you do with your red lift. For sale maybe?
Yeah, I'm still hanging around and thinking about buying another Versys. That is the best all around motorcycle I've ever owned. The Goldwing is nice out on the open road but it dosen't handle the way the Versys did. Now I wish I hadn't sold it.

When I bought the Goldwing I found that the red lift wouldn't lift it so I sold it. This new lift is going to be ok I think.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM

That's not a lift that's a surgeon's operating table!
Very nice.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM

Nice lift for the money, btw, your link didn't work for me. Wish I had room for a lift, with 6 bikes to work on my back takes a beating sometime. Am I missing something, why did you get the wings, you have a 4 wheeler also?

My toys:
'09 Versys in Cool Lime ~ '06 Harley Roadking
'95 Suzuki DR350S ~ '94 Suzuki DR350S
'09 Kawi STX15F jet ski ~ '07 Kawi STX12F Jetski
'09 Yamaha Superjet ~ '13 Ram 4X4 3500 Cummins
'09 BMW 535i ~ '10 Kubota B3300SU
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
Nice lift for the money, btw, your link didn't work for me. Wish I had room for a lift, with 6 bikes to work on my back takes a beating sometime. Am I missing something, why did you get the wings, you have a 4 wheeler also?
No, no 4 wheeler. It's much easier loading the Goldwing on with the wings because the Goldwing is so wide. I didn't want to take any chances on missing a stepdown and dropping the wing. I do have a big riding lawnmower that I can use it on thought. You can take the wings off after the bike is loaded if you want to.

I checked the link I posted and you are right, it didn't work. I'm reposting the correct one above and here.

http://www.derekweaver.com/update/Pr...uct.aspx?id=11

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 02-17-2010 at 09:27 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Yeah, please be careful with the Wing; most of the Goldwing accidents I hear about involve it falling on the rider when loading or lifting.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Don,
When I read the heading on your post...

I had visions of you getting some Tom Cruise type shoes!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Well I actually got to use the lift today and it worked perfectly. I might have to buy another air compressor as mine is kind of small and takes a while to pump up.

My mission today was to install Highway pegs and that went off without a hitch. It was much easier to do it waist high than crawling around on the floor.

Here's some pics of the Wing on the left and the Highway Pegs.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:12 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Don,
When I read the heading on your post...

I had visions of you getting some Tom Cruise type shoes!!!
Dang, I didn't think of that! I need some new shoes........uhmmm

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:30 PM

I guess this means the shop is now open for business.....
Your going to have alot more friends now!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 02:07 AM

Great lift, it is certainly a luxury to have one. I bought one a while ago for use mainly with my Vulcan Nomad, a very heavy bike, like your Wing. I bought a "Handy" lift, it has a wheel vice for the front and a drop out panel for the rear. The first job I did was the swing arm/driveshaft maintenance and working with the bike in the air was a real pleasure. I needed a further piece of equipment, a scissor lift (Handy Lo-Boy), because when removing a wheel the bike needs to be supported. The scissor lift is a great piece of gear too. With adaptors it can be used with any bike, not just in conjunction with a table lift. It is small, very low/flat when retracted, ideal to get under low slung bikes. These are links to the 2 items.
http://www.handy-lift.com/index.cfm?...0%20Air%20Lift
http://www.modernconceptstrailers.com/stand-16999.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode