Blowing Off Steam - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Blowing Off Steam

Not the bike...me. I'm in the process of changing out my brake lines to stainless steel. While I'm at it I decide to address the crimped clutch cable issue which is caused by the metal retainer wire on the right side of the steering head at which point it holds tightly three cables. PUTTING A CRIMP IN ALL THREE OF THEM! Wouldn't you think an engineer, somewhere along the line, would say something like- "Gee, look at those cables getting pinched so hard they are going to wear through and cause troubles". But noooo, it is left up to us! Alrighty then....I feel better. I'll shut up and replace the brake fluid now.

Last edited by blipco; 02-18-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

No need to shut up or feel bad 'cause you're bitching about engineers. We do it ALL the time working on aircraft. Seems like they just LOVE to put things in the tiniest, hardest to reach places, then put some sort of pain in the ass fastener on the back side of the thing...

So it's not just bikes, I think that's true for most complicated machinery...

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

It's them CAD machines I tell ya!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM

I work on appliances for a living so I agree on the engineer comment. I truely feel that all engineers should do one year of install followed by one year of service for whatever field they are going into. This will improve their job skills by teaching them that whats on paper doesn't always work in practical application. It would be a win win for all parties!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
I work on appliances for a living so I agree on the engineer comment. I truely feel that all engineers should do one year of install followed by one year of service for whatever field they are going into. This will improve their job skills by teaching them that whats on paper doesn't always work in practical application. It would be a win win for all parties!

I totally agree!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
...I truely feel that all engineers should do one year of install followed by one year of service for whatever field they are going into...
I think they should also be required to use whatever product they design before it goes to market.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM

Hey Blip, yours look like this? Found the crimp job about a month ago...And you are correct, very clever those design boys

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM

Don't pick on all engineers. I used to work for a company whose engineers were regularly outvoted by accountants when it came to making engineering decisions. It all came back to money.

But there were some engineers I worked with that had issues too.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Most unfortunate but you must remember....Generally speaking..."ALL THINGS" are engineered to be assembled efficiently....and not to be maintained EASILY.

I spent years producing service training films for the "big three" (and VW/AUDI, but brand makes no difference)....and nearly scratched all my hair off my head trying to figure out the logic of it all until a top Auto engineer pointed out the error of my logic.....It's all about the build....and keeping the cost of manufacturing down to a minimum.
ARRRRGH !!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Contractor, yep, that's it. For a fix, I removed the wire clip all together as it contacted the fork at full turn. Instead, I had a 10 inch piece of self stick Velcro strap and wrapped it around the frame just left of the clip bolt.( in the bottom picture, the strap would go where the word "motor" is on your ID tag ).
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM

Good fix Blipco...I just pryed the bottom of the keeper out, bent it away from the frame and all the cables just kinda rest on it now...My clutch is better, but I think the cable is still pinched, so its off to the clutch cable store for a new one...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
Most unfortunate but you must remember....Generally speaking..."ALL THINGS" are engineered to be assembled efficiently....and not to be maintained EASILY.

I spent years producing service training films for the "big three" (and VW/AUDI, but brand makes no difference)....and nearly scratched all my hair off my head trying to figure out the logic of it all until a top Auto engineer pointed out the error of my logic.....It's all about the build....and keeping the cost of manufacturing down to a minimum.
ARRRRGH !!!!!!!!
This post brought to mind the P.O.S. that GM brought out, based on the Vega, (Monza, I believe) with a small block V8. Turns out the ONLY way to change the rearmost spark-plugs was to REMOVE the engine!
Imagine taking your car in for a tune-up, and the bill reads: 8 plugs = $8; points = $3.50; labor $400! (OLD-DAYS prices....)
The "hot-rodder" fix - cut two 6" holes thru the floor so you could pull back the carpets, remove the 6" cover, and reach thru to remove those plugs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM

A simple thing like changing an Air Filter shouldn't be a big deal. However, on my Goldwing it is about a 4 -5 hour job because it is buried at the center of all the crap that goes on a Goldwing to include electrical. You can screw up seriously with all the different type of fasteners if you do't pay close attention. Dealers get between $400 & $500 to change it. I will probably sell my wing before it needs to be changed.

I've pulled the Versys Air Filter several times and it's not that big of a job. You still have to remove the tank but it's about a 15 to 20 minute job so I can live with that.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up Blipco, mine was tight also, hope I caught it before damaging cables. Maybe there should be a sticky on this under technical discussions or something?

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 02-17-2010 at 03:57 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM

I had a Monza and they did have to jack the engine up to remove the back plugs. As I remember it was a 262 V8. There was such an outcry from the owners that GM made us a deal and didn't charge all the labor necessary to do the job.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

This problem was not discovered by me. I read someone else's thread. So kudos belong to somebody but not me. Also, the Vega and the Monza were two different POS.

Here it is, it was Contractor. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=clutch+cable

Last edited by blipco; 02-18-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode