SideBags - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

SideBags

I want to buy a pair of side bags for my Versys but I´m not sure which to chose ... I have two GIVI´s options; one hard case and one softcase (T421). Does anybody can send me recommendations and experiences with both bags??? For example... these bags tend to move out of place by the wind or in hard trails.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 PM

Although I have no experience with Givi soft saddlebags, I previously used my Cortech soft saddlebags/top bag on my Ninja 250 without any "blowing around" issues. There are several points of attachment using male/female clips. Very sturdy. I recently installed A Givi e460 topcase on the Versys. When going on longer trips, I'll add the Cortech soft saddlebags (saving my pennies for the Givi side cases).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 AM

Had both soft and hard side bags (hard wasn't on the V).

Now convinced that soft bags are the way to go. Minor spills can be hugely expensive with hard bags, soft bags seems to absorb the fall much better.

IMHO, V looks crap with hard bags on it, spoils the look, for me, they are just too big. Plus are much lighter and did I mention the price differential???

Hard bags with frames will be around $500.00 I think. My soft bags were $60.00. You do loose some security (anti theft), but that's why I have the locking top box for GPS, camera etc when I stop and leave bike unattended.

As long as you cinch up the over straps tight and put them under the saddle, bags will stay parallel to the wheel and not tuck in without a frame. I go motelling and camping with mine. With those and a small top box I can easily get in all I need. Had this set up for 23k miles and wouldn't change it.

This show was taken after 60 or miles on rough logging roads and a further 10 on deep sand, where I dropped it. Zero shifting around and zero damage.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machog; 02-16-2010 at 11:44 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

I think also that softbags are a good choice.
Thanks!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 PM

Side bag brands

Machog what brand bags are you using? They look good and appear to fit nicely. Thanks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM

On trips I like the fact that I can lock my hard bags.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM

We all have our preferences. I prefer the hard bags, the V35's anyway, because they look like they were designed to go with the bike. Soft bags look added on, in my view, rather than integrated. Hard bags keep things dry and secure, too. Hey, whatever works for you. Enjoy the ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

It's true that both options have their pros and cons... for example, hard bags are too wide and the bike look like a "BigMama" but it's true that thinks are more secure on trips...
This weekend I will take two big "Cuba Libre" and decide what to do.... thank you all
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM

Go have a Cuba libre, or two, get the hard bags and sing, "I like big butts and I cannot lie..."

BTW I spent eight years working at the largest rum distillery in the world. I can share a few recommendations about fine rums.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 AM

I have the hard V35's and they saved my bike in a small tip over incident in the driveway. The bike laid on the left bag and my bar end, nothing else touched... The only damage to the bag was that I need to sand and repaint or replace the glossy trim piece, not a big deal at all!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
...hard bags are too wide and the bike look like a "BigMama" ...
Just keep in mind that fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round.

YMMV.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM

IMHO the softbags from fieldsheer are complete garbage. The cover to protect from water ingress flew off, the constant rubbing of the bag to the frame caused the paint to wear off and most troublesome is the hole that developed on the right side. I'm going with 2 givi e45's or 2 pelican 1550's for the sides. Both setups cost around $500 but after seeing the abuse the 1550's can take it should be quite the investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode