Sad to say goodbye! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sad to say goodbye!

Well as my riding has transitioned to longer and longer trips I realized i have to move on to something bigger. Was holding out for the V 1000 but i just hate the "don't know what kind of bike i want to be" design of the new models.

So today I road home a lightly used R 1200 GS. 70 miles in I love the bike.
Hope it is as stone cold reliable as my V was.

I'll miss this great forum!

Thanks to all how have helped my Versys ownership be a fantastic experience.

If any want to fallow my international (or domestic) rides going forward, you can find me on instagram:http://instagram.com/worldtraveler100

Ride on!

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:26 PM

Congrats. Tested a R1200GS this summer. Nice machine. It is a bit big for me, but doesn't get much better for long distance cruising.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 09:27 PM

congrats on the new bike and enjoy. stop in and say hello from time to time

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Lightbulb

If it has the troublesome fuel level sensor strip as in friend's R 1200 GT, we easily fixed its open circuit without removing in-tank fuel pump by zapping it 5 times at the connector with a wired fireplace lighter... I know this sounds kinda random, but you'll be happy to know about it when you lose all fuel level and range info.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....l-strip-zapper
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 AM

Reliability and BMW in the same sentence? Good luck!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 AM

Congrats! Enjoy the new-to-you ride. Sounds like a nice find.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Yup...

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:03 AM
MTS

Congrats and have fun!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
congrats and all the best.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:27 PM

Congrats on the new bike. I'm quite certain you're going to enjoy it. I rode a GS for a couple of days this summer when my K1600 was at the dealer getting a switch replaced. The GS is a nice bike and should be more comfortable than the Versys for longer rides.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Nice bike, I have a husband and wife team that each ride one. That's right she has hers and he has his.

Funny thing is I keep up just fine with the Versys...most of the time they're asking ME to slow it down a bit will ya? Now when I'm 2 up on the Versys it's another matter they can leave me.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Congrats and wish you well. Drop by and keep in touch.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the positive wishes guys.

The fun part of the story is that i traded the V to the guy i got the BMW from. Went by his place today to drop of some parts and he is remaking it into his vision of what it should be, just as i did when i got it. Love that!

Hope to see him on here soon. That would make the third owner of this bike to be an active forum member!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
To more adventures on a new steed...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 PM

Have fun with the new ride.
My '09 got traded for a bike that got traded for a bike that got wrecked that got bought new again that's still in my garage. Always missed the Versys, and finally found a leffover '12 this year to add to my garage.
See you on your next one, they tend to get into your blood!

2014 Valkyrie 1800
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:18 PM

I had 2 1150GSs over the years. I really enjoyed both of them and put a ton of miles on each. Like the OP, my riding needs changed and I wound up on the V which reminds me so much of my Beemers. I reckon any self respecting garage really needs one of each.

IBA 12512
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My GS riding friends keep telling me how great they are, but no one has offered me a ride on their bike. LOL! One guy put 100,000 miles in 4 years and traded on a new water boxer GS.

I guess I need to try one,but right now my leanings are towards the Super Tenere.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Funny you should say that. Yesterday I switched bikes with my Versys riding brother so he could get a twisty test ride of the GS.

He loved it and I loved being on a V again. But now the V feels like a little sport bike.

My leanings were toward an ST as well, but the local Yamaha dealer is half a crook and I won't do business with him. On the other hand the BMW dealer in Bentonville AR is fantastic. Since I only do the most basic wrenching, that is a big consideration for me.

Last edited by WT100; 12-14-2014 at 09:11 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:53 PM

That is why I like the Versys so much, it is like a small, tall, sportbike. If I could afford it I'd have a smaller bike for commuting and a bigger bike for touring, but the V can do both reasonably well, it's a keeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode